Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Quick end to Cubans’ asylum claim; now they’re hoping for Trump to act

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quick end to Cubans’ asylum claim; now they’re hoping for Trump to act

JANUARY 15, 2017 7:40 PM

Quick end to Cubans’ asylum claim; now they’re hoping for Trump to act

Yanitsy Correoso Rivero, of Guantánamo, Cuba, updated friends over social media after being released from U.S. custody on Sunday. She withdrew her application for asylum and was allowed to return to Mexico by U.S. border agents after agents warned her and four fellow Cuban migrants that they were likely to spend months in detention and still be rejected. Francisco Ordonez McClatchy

BY FRANCO ORDOÑEZ
    fordonez@mcclatchydc.com

NUEVO LAREDO, MEXICO The five Cubans who turned themselves into U.S. immigration authorities Saturday afternoon were back in Mexico Sunday after they withdrew their asylum applications out of fear they would miss out on any relief President-elect Donald Trump might provide.

Agents with U.S. Customs and Border Protection advised them they were seeking something that no longer existed, faced months in detention and still likely would be deported, the Cubans said.

Alberto Ramirez, Yoanny Iglesia Jimenez and Yoe Luis Santana were released from U.S. custody on Sunday after they withdrew their application for asylum. They returned to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico, and said they would hope the administration of Donald Trump will provide relief. Franco Ordonez McClatchy

“If I entered the asylum process now and then there is a change to help the Cubans, it wouldn’t matter,” said Alberto Rafael Ramírez, 29. “I’d have to continue in the asylum process.”

The swift end to their asylum request reveals how difficult it will be for many Cubans to argue they’re political refugees who deserve special protection. Like other immigrants traveling from Mexico or El Salvador,

Cuban migrants will be subject to being deported if they can’t prove a credible fear of persecution if returned.

Ramírez, Yoanny Iglesia Jimenez, 34, Yoe Luis Santana, 37, Jose Angel Castañeda, 28, and Yanitsy Correoso Rivero all said they were allowed to leave the border station without facing any additional penalties.

Immigration lawyers who’ve consulted with Cuban families questioned the five’s understanding, saying they should be able to benefit from any future special parole or legal assistance the U.S. government provided – not that it should be expected.

Jorge Rivera, a Miami immigration attorney, said it sounded like they received bad advice. But he expected there would be some initial confusion and discrepancies on how Cubans were handled considering the recent change.

“Sounds like there is a lot of dissary at the border right now,” he said. “Obama’s policy change probably took CBP by surprise just like everyone else.”

While the five are hoping that Trump or the Republican-led Congress will provide some legal relief that will usher them into the United States, the likelihood of a policy reversal appears slim.

The most likely champions of their cause, Cuban-American lawmakers, told the Miami Herald last week that they don’t intend to ask Trump to reinstate the “wet foot/dry foot” policy that for two decades had allowed any Cuban who arrived on U.S. soil to legally remain in the country.

Spending the night at the border station was difficult for the group. They were handcuffed and shackled. Some border officials were nicer than others. But largely the group said they were well treated.

“You can see my face,” Casteñeda said. “I’m so tired. My body is tired. My mind is tired. My faith is almost broken.

But I won’t leave from here.”

Jimenez said the agents were kind, but direct. The five were told they could be in detention two months or a year.

Ramírez said they would be detained with some dangerous criminals and, in the end, it would be a difficult battle to win.

Correoso, of Guantánamo, the only woman in the group, said she was surprised by how well they were treated. The agents gave them tacos and energy bars. They explained the risks that they were taking and allowed them to withdraw their applications without being further penalized.

The five were split on what they would do if a legal path to the United States doesn’t emerge.

Ramírez said he has no intention of spending months in a U.S. prison, but Jimenez said he would seek asylum again. Castañeda and Santana had yet to make up their mind. Correoso said she’d concentrate on the positive.

“At this moment, the only thing I can focus on is that I’ll be able to enter,” she said.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nati...126753929.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good! Return them to Mexico. Mexico allowed them to illegally trespass onto our border. Now these Cubans can ask their family in Cuba to "wire" them the money for a flight OUT of Mexico back to Cuba!

So "twitter" that to all your buddies...Trump will not let you in, so do not count on it.

American's First...no more invasion at our border.

Mexico had better cut it out...you will have a massive problem on your hands.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Oh my God, get them out of here!!! Send them back!!!

I don't agree with much of what Obama has done, but he has done a few things I agree with and one of those is his Cuba Policy, to start opening relations with Cuba and oh my yes, ending the insanity of this Cuban Asylum disaster.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn