Like Tree1Likes

Thread: R.I. - Gov. Chafee: Still considering driver's licenses for illegal immigrants

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

R.I. - Gov. Chafee: Still considering driver's licenses for illegal immigrants

November 19, 2012 5:35 pm
    By Philip Marcelo
    Providence Journal

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Governor Chafee addressed some 50 immigrant rights advocates at the State House on Monday night, promising them that he is still considering allowing Rhode Island to issue driver's licenses for undocumented residents.

"All I can say is that we will continue to look at it. I know there is some impatience here," he said, as some protesters shouted out to him in Spanish to be more specific. "But I will continue to listen to what you have to say on this issue."

Chafee acknowledged that the issue was one of the three key concerns for the Latino community that strongly supported him in his 2010 election.

He said he has been looking at how other states have implemented similar programs, including Utah, and promised to sit down with advocates soon.

"It's a safety issue," Chafee said. "You have a lot of people driving without licenses."

Terry Gorman and members of the citizen group Rhode Islanders For Immigration Law Enforcement, or RIILE, meanwhile, staged a counter protest during the rally.

"It does not make sense that we would even entertain this," Gorman said, as he held up a sign saying "No driver's licenses for illegals."

Gov. Chafee: Still considering driver's licenses for illegal immigrants | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Chafee meets with protestors demanding drivers licenses for illegals

Posted: 11/19/2012 6:08:56 PM
    Updated: 11/19/2012 6:10:00 PM
    630wpro.com

ILLEGALS RALLY Gov. Lincoln Chafee meets in the State House rotunda Monday with protestors demanding Rhode Island issue driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. Photo by Steve Klamkin WPRO News

More than 50 protestors marched to the State House in Providence late Monday afternoon, calling for the state to issue driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

The group said they want to hold Governor Lincoln Chafee to what they said was a promise he made during his 2010 campaign, to take up issues important to immigrants, including that of driver's licenses.

"Our families are dying of hunger because we cannot bring home food because we don't have licenses," said one protestor in Spanish through a translator, just before Chafee walked down the marble steps of the State House rotunda to meet with the group.

"All I can say, we'll continue to look at it, I know there's some impatience here," said Chafee to the group. "But, I will continue to listen to what you have to say on this issue."

"I want to do my homework, that's what I've always said," Chafee told a reporter. Asked by a protestor if he would meet with the group, Chafee said, "let's do it quickly."

"Two weeks?" The woman asked.

"Yes, yes, well yeah, as fast as we can, we've got holidays, I'll do my best, I always have, yes, I'll do my best."

With that, the crowd turned and streamed out of the rotunda, chanting, "We'll be back, we'll be back."

Outside the State House, Terry Gorman, President of the group, Rhode Islanders for Immigration Law Enforcement expressed incredulity that illegal immigrants were pressing for licenses.

"They're illegal, so that's against the law. They want driver's licenses, so they can drive to work, which is also against the law. What are we doing to ourselves," asked Gorman.

Chafee meets with protestors demanding drivers licenses for illegals | Rhode Island Breaking News, RI Politics, Top Stories | Text WPRO to 68255 for mobile news.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Added second article above to the Homepage:
    http://www.alipac.us/content/chafee-...illegals-1127/

this guy better get his head Out of the sand .
    No amnesty or dream act

I made a few comments on the Providence Journal site as 'Sparrowsong'. One got 14 thumbs up so far.
    From the poll asking if undocumented immigrants should have licenses, these are the results so far...
    Yes: 6.0% (53)

No: 94.0% (824)

(1,405 votes)
    Yes: 7.7% (10
    No: 92.3% (1,297)
    Obviously Rhode Islander's DO NOT want licenses for illegals