Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Racist Sotomayor: Labeling Illegal Immigrants Criminals Is Insulting

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Racist Sotomayor: Labeling Illegal Immigrants Criminals Is Insulting

February 4, 2014 8:53 AM

View Comments
    Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor speaks during a ribbon cutting ceremony at George Washington University’s Jacob Burns Community Legal Clinics on Jan. 23, 2014 in Washington, D.C. (credit: BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/Getty Images)

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who grew up poor in New York City, described Monday how she navigated new worlds of Ivy League universities and the nation’s highest court.

Sotomayor told students at Yale University that she has a competitive drive to improve herself and isn’t afraid to ask questions.

Sotomayor, the first Hispanic on the U.S. Supreme Court, said she didn’t even know what an Ivy League college was when a friend suggested she apply. She wound up attending Princeton and Yale Law School.

On the Supreme Court since 2009, Sotomayor said it was tough at first as justices made references that went over her head. She said joining the high court amounted to joining an ongoing conversation among justices who had served for years.

“I figure I may not be the smartest judge on the court but I’m going to be a competent justice,” she said. “I’m going to try to be the best I can and each year I think my opinions have been getting better. And I’m working at finding my voice a little bit.”

Sotomayor was asked at a talk at Yale Law School later in the day about her use of the term “undocumented immigrants” rather than the traditional illegal alien. Sotomayor characterized the issue as a regulatory problem and said labeling immigrants criminals seemed insulting to her.

“I think people then paint those individuals as something less than worthy human beings and it changes the conversation,” Sotomayor said.

Sotomayor was interviewed by Judith Resnik, a Yale law professor, in front of a large audience and later by Linda Greenhouse, a journalist-in residence and lecturer at the law school. The earlier questions focused on her memoir, “My Beloved World,” published last year.

The 59-year-old justice said she quickly left an interview to attend Harvard, feeling she didn’t belong. She said Yale students in the 1970s were talking about revolutions in Cuba and other countries while she had attended a Catholic high school where the monsignor supported the Vietnam War.

“This is too progressive for me,” she said of Yale, sparking laughter. “Yeah, strange, right?”
    Sotomayor learned how to adapt, finding strength in her culture and getting a broader understanding of the world. She compared it to a bird that flies to different places.
    “Learn what the world has to offer and come back to the nest when you need a little bit of comfort,” Sotomayor said.

She admitted that she sometimes finds herself stuck between two worlds, one in which her colleagues talk of operas and another in which she sees a cockroach in an apartment in her old Bronx neighborhood and flees.

“Sometimes I do feel I’m not part of either world completely,” she said. “My life has changed so much that going back I don’t feel I’m completely part of the conversation.”
    But she said she’s found overlaps in both worlds that keep her connected, such as common emotions of love and caring.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/...-is-insulting/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have quite a few insulting terms to use for that racist Sonia Sotomayor!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In my opinion, it is insulting when a Supreme Court Justice, who does NOT get to make laws, starts basing decisions on tribal loyalties.

Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States are required to take two oaths before they may execute the duties of their appointed office.

The Constitutional Oath

As noted below in Article VI, all federal officials must take an oath in support of the Constitution:
    "The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." The Constitution does not provide the wording for this oath, leaving that to the determination of Congress. From 1789 until 1861, this oath was, "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the United States." During the 1860s, this oath was altered several times before Congress settled on the text used today, which is set out at 5 U. S. C. § 3331. This oath is now taken by all federal employees, other than the President:

"I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Richard Hofmeister, Smithsonian Institution
    Retiring Chief Justice Warren E. Burger (in robe) administers the Constitutional Oath to his successor, Associate Justice William H. Rehnquist, in the East Room of the White House. Mrs. Natalie Rehnquist holds the Bible while President Ronald Reagan looks on.

The Judicial Oath
    The origin of the second oath is found in the Judiciary Act of 1789, which reads "the justices of the Supreme Court, and the district judges, before they proceed to execute the duties of their respective offices" to take a second oath or affirmation. From 1789 to 1990, the original text used for this oath (1 Stat. 76 §8 was: "I, _________, do solemnly swear or affirm that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________, according to the best of my abilities and understanding, agreeably to the constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God." In December 1990, the Judicial Improvements Act of 1990 replaced the phrase "according to the best of my abilities and understanding, agreeably to the Constitution" with "under the Constitution." The revised Judicial Oath, found at 28 U. S. C. § 453, reads: "I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God."

The Combined Oath
    Upon occasion, appointees to the Supreme Court have taken a combined version of the two oaths, which reads: "I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States; and that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/oa...ffice2009.aspx
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Ingraham: Justice Sotomayor Cares More About ‘Her Immigrant Family Background’ Than C

There is a audio link at the source.
    ~~~

Ingraham: Justice Sotomayor Cares More About ‘Her Immigrant Family Background’ Than Constitution

by Matt Wilstein | 7:17 pm, February 4th, 2014

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham lashed out at Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor Tuesday over comments she made in a speech Monday at Yale Law School on the topic of immigration. Sotomayor told the Yale audience why she finds the term “illegal immigrant” insulting, a remark that made Ingraham declare her “allegiance obviously goes to her immigrant family background and not to the U.S. Constitution.”

Sotomayor, who was the first Supreme Court justice to use the term “undocumented immigrant” as opposed to “illegal alien,” said Monday, “To call them illegal aliens seemed and does seem insulting to me.” Or as The Drudge Report put it, “SOTOMAYOR: Labeling Illegals as ‘Criminals’ is Insulting…”

“Her duty is to defend the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and that’s what she says?” Ingraham said on her radio show in response. “Why do we have a Supreme Court justice whose allegiance obviously goes to her immigrant family background and not to the U.S. Constitution? So we have no rule of law. We are going to pick and choose who has to follow the law in the United States.”

As Media Matters pointed out, Sotomayor is U.S. citizen, along with her parents, who, like all Puerto Rican Americans have had citizenship since 1917.

In her comments, Sotomayor was echoing the Associated Press, who updated their influential Stylebook last year to eliminate the term “illegal immigrant.” As the entry for “illegal immigration” now instructs AP writers, “Except in direct quotes essential to the story, use illegal only to refer to an action, not a person: illegal immigration, but not illegal immigrant.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/ingra...-constitution/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Sotomayor was asked at a talk at Yale Law School later in the day about her use of the term “undocumented immigrants” rather than the traditional illegal alien. Sotomayor characterized the issue as a regulatory problem and said labeling immigrants criminals seemed insulting to her."

Are you kidding me? It is insulting to the American citizen that these 'illegals' just come waltzing over demanding rights, taking jobs and getting catered to on many levels. They demand respect that has not in any way been earned by them!!

Justice Sonia Sotomayor is a racist and a Hispanic supremacist willing to put her perceived ethnicity ahead of the law and the truth!

W

Conservative Radio Host Questions Justice Sonia Sotomayor's Loyalty Given 'Immigrant Family Background' (Audio)

By Sarah Fruchtnicht, Wed, February 05, 2014

Conservative radio host and Fox News contributor Laura Ingraham questions Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor's loyalty to the United States because of her “immigrant family background.”

“Whatever illegal aliens want, illegal aliens get,” Ingraham said on her Tuesday radio broadcast.

She cited a speech that Sotomayor gave to Yale Law students on Feb. 3, during which she said it is “insulting” to refer to undocumented immigrants as “illegal aliens.”

“I think people then paint those individuals as something less than worthy human beings and it changes the conversation,” Sotomayor said.

“That is a Supreme Court Justice,” shouted Ingraham. “Her duty is to defend the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America. And that’s what she says?”
    “Why was this individual sworn into the bar in California and why do we have a Supreme Court Justice whose allegiance obviously goes to her immigrant family background and not to the U.S. Constitution? So we have no rule of law," she concluded.

Sotomayor, 59, is an American citizen and her parents were also American citizens, Media Matters reported. As a Puerto Rican American, she has U.S. citizenship under the Jones-Sharfroth Act of 1917.

Sources: Media Matters, ThinkProgress, CBS DC

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...loyalty-given#

Immigration analyst wonders how Supreme Court justice can rule fairly

Chad Groening (OneNewsNow.com)
    Thursday, February 06, 2014

The leader for a pro-immigration enforcement organization is questioning a U.S. Supreme court justice for her comments about illegal immigrants.

Ira Mehlman, a spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, or FAIR, says he is concerned about Justice Sonia Sotomayor's objectivity.

CBS News reported that Sotomayor was asked at a Yale Law School event about her use of the term "undocumented immigrants" rather than the traditional term illegal alien. She said labeling immigrants criminals seemed insulting to her, arguing that illegal immigration is a regulatory problem.

Sotomayor is the first Hispanic on the U.S. Supreme Court.

"As a Supreme Court Justice who might have to rule on immigration-related cases," says Mehlman, "it certainly reflects some possible bias that ought to be a concern of the American people."

Sotomayor has to rule on the law, and immigration laws are "fairly explicit," says Mehlman." She does not have the right to simply negate them because she feels insulted by certain terminology."

Sotomayor

Mehlman adds he is not suggesting Sotomayor recuse herself in these cases, calling himself unqualified to make that judgment.

"But I think you're seeing this throughout the judicial system where you have, for instance, the Supreme Court in California deciding that an illegal alien can practice law," he notes, referring to Sergio Garcia, who was a child when his parents illegally entered the United States on two separate occasions.

People who are attacking legal immigration laws are well funded, so Mehlman believes there is a strong possibility immigration-related cases will come before the high court.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/legal-cour...an-rule-fairly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast