Record numbers of New Zealanders deported

By Australia Correspondent Steve Marshall in Sydney
Published: 7:57AM Wednesday June 19, 2013 Source: ONE News

• Prison generic. - Source: ONE News

A sustained crack down by Australian Immigration officials is resulting in a record number of convicted expatriate New Zealanders being deported.
New Zealanders who receive jail sentences that accumulate to 12 months or more are subject to Australia's 'character test'.
If they fail the test they are then at the mercy of Australia's Immigration Minister who has the power to send them home.
ONE News Australia Correspondent Steve Marshall will have in-depth coverage of this story on ONE News at 6pm.
Over the past three years, nearly 350 convicted New Zealanders have had their visas cancelled and been ordered to leave the country.
Leading Sydney Immigration lawyer Nigel Dobbie told One News the numbers of convicted New Zealanders seeking to avoid deportation are on the rise.
"I get calls from New Zealanders in jail, at Villawood immigration detention centre, from family members asking how we can help and from New Zealanders who come in. Some I can help, some I can't. Their crimes are just too severe" he said.
Advertisement

New Zealanders arriving in Australia receive a special category visa (SCV) and Australia immigration officers take a hard line with New Zealanders who try to re-enter Australia after they have been deported.
"They'll be turned around at the airport. I would be extremely surprised if they let a person in who is a behaviour concern non-citizen" Mr Dobbie said.
High profile fight
New Zealand born rugby league player James Tamou could be thrown out of Australia if he's convicted of a drink driving offence.
The Kangaroo forward was arrested by Queensland police last week after returning a blood alcohol reading of nearly four times the legal limit.
The offence is considered high range and carries a maximum jail sentence of 18 months.
Nigel Dobbie said New Zealanders like Tamou face the real prospect being deported if they are convicted of such an offence.
"If you get a conviction for a year, even if it is suspended, you fail the character test by law and you have to show why you shouldn't be bounced out of the country" he said.
Citizenship quashed
Australian law regarding visa cancellations also applies to citizenship applications.
Earlier this year, Tamou expressed a desire to become an Australian citizen before the world cup in Britain.
Mr Dobbie says a drink driving conviction would rule Tamou ineligible to become an Australian citizen.
"If the person is not of a good character then the Minister could refuse the citizenship application" he said.
Tamou has already been fined $20,000AUD by his North Queensland club and will appear in Townsville Magistrates Court on July 2.
There are approximately 800 New Zealanders currently serving time in Australian prisons or 3% of the prison population and another 18 in immigration detention centres.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/record-numbers-new-zealanders-deported-5469262