Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Repeat after me: Obama is not admitting 100,000, 200,000 or 250,000 Syrian refugees

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Repeat after me: Obama is not admitting 100,000, 200,000 or 250,000 Syrian refugees

"If we're going to be bringing 200,000 people over here from that region - if I were one of the leaders of the global jihadist movement and I didn't infiltrate that group of people with my people,
    that would be almost malpractice."

Ben Carson, Nov. 13, 2015

"I am angry that President Obama unilaterally decides that we'll accept up to 100,000 Syrian refugees while his administration admits we cannot determine their ties to terrorism."

Former Hewlett Packard chief executive Carly Fiorina, Nov. 14

"Our president wants to take in 250,000 from Syria. I mean, think of it. 250,000 people. And we all have heart. And we all want people taken care of and all of that.

But with the problems our country has, to take in 250,000 people - some of whom are going to have problems, big problems."

Donald Trump, Nov. 14

"When the president says things like, you know, through an executive order, 'I'm going to bring 100,000 people in here from Syria,' Congress needs to say 'you do that and we're going to defund
    everything including your breakfast.' "

Carson, quoted in a SuperPac ad released Nov. 17

Sometimes fact checks have an impact; sometimes, unfortunately, they don't.

In October, Donald Trump repeatedly made the outlandish claim that President Obama was planning to admit 200,000 refugees from war-torn Syria.

Rather than drop the figure, Trump has boosted it to 250,000. And other candidates have followed his lead with exaggerated figures, just not quite as high.

Ben Carson claimed 200,000 from the Middle East "region" and 100,000 from Syria; Fiorina said 100,000 from Syria.

In a tweet, Trump even evoked the image of a flood of Syrian refugees "now pouring into" the United States: "Refugees from Syria are now pouring into our great country.

Who knows who they are - some could be ISIS. Is our president insane?"

(We initially thought Sen. Rand Paul might qualify for scrutiny as well, since he told reporters in Florida on Nov. 14 that "I would not admit 200,000 people from Syria."

But a check of the audio found that he was responding to a question from an uninformed reporter who flatly stated that the administration had agreed to admit 200,000 from Syria.)

In fact, the planned number of Syrian refugees thus far is 10,000. How can people running for president - even if they are all political novices - continue to get this so wrong?

As we have explained before, the only thing close to a 200,000 figure is an announcement in September by Secretary of State John Kerry that the United States was prepared to boost the number of total refugees accepted from

around the world in fiscal 2016, from 70,000 to 85,000. Then, in 2017, Kerry said that 100,000 would be accepted.

That adds up to 185,000 over two years. But this would be the total number of refugees, not the number of refugees from Syria.

By law, the president every fiscal year sets the maximum number of refugees the United States can accept in a year. (Note to Carson: This is not done by executive order; it is a legal requirement.)

Over the past decade, the annual limit has been between 70,000 and 80,000, according to the Congressional Research Service. (In fiscal 2013, about 30 percent came from the Middle East, mostly from Iraq.)

So, 100,000 from around the world in 2017 would be a big jump, assuming Obama goes through with the pledge to authorize that level. But nothing is set in stone.

As for Syria, Obama has only directed the United States to accept at least 10,000 Syrian refugees in the next year.

That's certainly an increase - fewer than 2,200 Syrians have been admitted to the United States since the uprising began in March 2011, according to State Department officials - but it's hardly the flood that Trump worries about.

(Indeed, it's only a drop in the bucket of some 4 million Syrian refugees.)

In theory, if Obama lifted the ceiling to 100,000 in 2017 and then filled the gap entirely with Syrians, that would be 25,000 more - but that's still far less then 100,000.

Of those admitted to the United States so far, about half have been children and a quarter are adults over 60. There are slightly more men than women, but only 2 percent of those admitted are single males of combat age, officials said.

Representatives for Trump, Carson and Fiorina did not respond to queries.

There is no excuse for repeated, false statements that have no basis in fact - and have been proven wrong.

Repeat after me: Obama is not admitting 100,000, 200,000 or 250,000 Syrian refugees | DailyComet.com

Repeat After Me:

Whoever wrote this article is an idiot. It was reported the other day on CNN that the plan is to bring in 10,000 this year and 100,000 a year by 2017. That's 10,000 this year, 100,000 in 2016 and another 100,000 in 2017. If that's not over 200,000 and approaching 250,000, then someone taught me the wrong math. And that was Wolf Blitzer's report.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Can a few of ya get together the links on those sources please and post them here?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How many will be admitted in the future?

As the Syrian refugee crisis in Europe and the Middle East became more dire over the summer, the Obama administration decided to re-evaluate how many Syrian refugees could be admitted.

Ultimately, the President decided to set a goal of 10,000 for the current fiscal year, which goes until October 2016.

In order to accommodate these additional Syrian refugees, the administration upped the total number of refugees it would allow in FY2016 to 85,000, with plans to increase it to 100,000 in FY2017.

Who decides the quota?

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 sets fairly clear guidelines for how the government can set and change refugee admissions quotas.

Per section 207, the President has the authority to set the annual number, following "appropriate consultation" with members of Congress.

This is done at the start of the fiscal year but can be revisited midyear in cases where "an unforeseen emergency refugee situation exists" and the admission of refugees in response to that emergency "is justified by grave humanitarian concerns or is otherwise in the national interest."

In that situation, the President can amend the number of refugees allowed prior to the start of the next fiscal year, again in consultation with Congress, essentially briefing the lawmakers.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/16/politi...nts-explainer/

According to the largely unconstitutional Immigration and Nationality Act, the "number" can be whatever the President thinks is right. Can you believe we have such a stupid Congress that would try to empower a President with this type of latitude? Forget the fact for now that the whole thing is unconstitutional, and just consider but why would any Congress pass such a law to begin with?!

The entire immigration portion of the Immigration and Nationality Act needs to be repealed post haste. It's all illegal anyway because it's entirely unconstitutional to begin with.

SPREAD THE WORD, FAR AND WIDE.
    Last edited by Judy; 11-19-2015 at 04:10 AM.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

obama
    why don't you have them in your back yard( we have the usa care for first) i alway said you don't care about the us but all of the other country first ) well it don't work that way we have
    the mexico that we don't want & now you want the us to care for Syrian refugees
    I don't think so we have not job's * no money we have vets on the street & you
    want the us to help no way in hell

wtg judy

"
    The Obama administration is looking to increase the number of Syrian refugees who may be admitted into the U.S. as well as speed up the process. The administration plans to do this, Reuters reports, by opening new screening outposts in Iraq and Lebanon. As of now, the administration promised to accept as many as 100,000 refugees each year by the end of 2017"
    from the Daily Caller Nov 14 2015
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/14/co...-fiscal-years/

The figures, 100k for 2016, and 100k for 2017 do not include 10k or more right now. It seems the refugee figure per year will be increased to 100k and most from the middle east with the centers they are creating there

Another article dated Sept '15
    "Mr. Kerry said the United States would explore ways to increase the overall limit of refugees beyond 100,000" (per year)

the limit on annual refugee visas would be increased to 85,000 in 2016. The cap would then rise to 100,000 the following year. (that figure has already been increased to 100k each year)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/wo...says.html?_r=1
    Last edited by artist; 11-20-2015 at 11:15 AM.

This is the original article published as a "Fact Checker", "Repeat After Me, Obama Is Not 100,000, 200,000 or 250,000 Syrian Refugees", by Glenn Kessler of the Washington Post:

Repeat after me: Obama is not admitting 100,000, 200,000 or 250,000 Syrian refugees

By Glenn Kessler November 18 (2015)

Donald Trump, Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina before the start of the 2016 Republican presidential candidates debate held by CNBC. (Sen. Ted Cruz is on the right, but we are not checking him.)

“If we’re going to be bringing 200,000 people over here from that region — if I were one of the leaders of the global jihadist movement and I didn’t infiltrate that group of people with my people, that would be almost malpractice.”

— Ben Carson, Nov. 13, 2015

“I am angry that President Obama unilaterally decides that we’ll accept up to 100,000 Syrian refugees while his administration admits we cannot determine their ties to terrorism.”

— Former Hewlett Packard chief executive Carly Fiorina, Nov. 14

“Our president wants to take in 250,000 from Syria. I mean, think of it. 250,000 people. And we all have heart. And we all want people taken care of and all of that. But with the problems our country has, to take in 250,000 people — some of whom are going to have problems, big problems.”

— businessman Donald Trump, Nov. 14

“When the president says things like, you know, through an executive order, ‘I’m going to bring 100,000 people in here from Syria,’ Congress needs to say ‘you do that and we’re going to defund everything including your breakfast.’ “

— Carson, quoted in a SuperPac ad released Nov. 17

Sometimes fact checks have an impact, sometimes unfortunately they don’t.

In October, Donald Trump earned Four Pinocchios for repeatedly making the outlandish claim that President Obama was planning to admit 200,000 refugees from war-torn Syria.

Rather than drop the figure, Trump has boosted it to 250,000. And other candidates have followed his lead with exaggerated figures, just not quite as high. Ben Carson claimed 200,000 from the Middle East “region” and 100,000 from Syria; Fiorina said 100,000 from Syria.

In a tweet, Trump even evoked the image of a flood of Syrian refugees “now pouring into” the United States:

(We initially thought Sen. Rand Paul might qualify for scrutiny as well, since he told reporters in Florida on Nov. 14 that “I would not admit 200,000 people from Syria.” But a check of the audio found that he was responding to a question from an uninformed reporter who flatly stated that the administration had agreed to admit 200,000 from Syria.)

In fact, the planned number of Syrian refugees thus far is 10,000. How can people running for president — even if they are all political novices — continue to get this so wrong?

The Facts

As we have explained before, the only thing close to a 200,000 figure is an announcement in September by Secretary of State John Kerry that the United States was prepared to boost the number of total refugees accepted from around the world in fiscal 2016, from 70,000 to 85,000. Then, in 2017, Kerry said that 100,000 would be accepted.

That adds up to 185,000 over two years. But this would be the total number of refugees, not the number of refugees from Syria.

By law, the president every fiscal year sets the maximum number of refugees the United States can accept in a year. (Note to Carson: This is not done by executive order; it is a legal requirement.) Over the past decade, the annual limit has been between 70,000 and 80,000, according to the Congressional Research Service. (In fiscal 2013, about 30 percent came from the Middle East, mostly from Iraq.) So, 100,000 from around the world in 2017 would be a big jump, assuming Obama goes through with the pledge to authorize that level. But nothing is set in stone.

As for Syria, Obama has only directed the United States to accept at least 10,000 Syrian refugees in the next year. That’s certainly an increase — fewer than 2,200 Syrians have been admitted to the United States since the uprising began in March 2011, according to State Department officials — but it’s hardly the flood that Trump worries about. (Indeed, it’s only a drop in the bucket of some 4 million Syrian refugees.) In theory, if Obama lifted the ceiling to 100,000 in 2017 and then filled the gap entirely with Syrians, that would be 25,000 more–but that’s still far less then 100,000.

Note: Some readers have pointed to this tweet by Obama as evidence for the “100,000” figure. Note the phrase “and other refugees.” We certainly hope the candidates are not basing their assertions on a tweet.

Of those admitted to the United States from Syria so far, about half have been children and a quarter are adults over 60. There are slightly more men than women, but only 2 percent of those admitted are single males of combat age, officials said.

Representatives for Trump, Carson and Fiorina did not respond to queries.

The Pinocchio Test

There is no excuse for repeated, false statements that have no basis in fact – and have been proven wrong. These candidates each earn Four Pinocchios.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rian-refugees/

Hey Glenn Kessler, someone needs to "fact check" you. That someone turned out to be me! So I give you 10 Pinnochios for lying about Republicans in a Presidential election and 24 Pinnochios for lying about how many Syrian Refugees Obama is admitting into the United States.

It's a sad day in America when ordinary citizens have to "fact check" the Washington Post with published information from CNN.

YOU STINK!! And in the old days when newspaper reporting was considered the best source of news one could rely upon, you with your big 24 Pinnochios would be fired. But today, I guess it's just business as usual. What a shame. You are a national disgrace, Glenn Kessler. You not only tried to mislead and confuse the American Public, you tried to confuse our Congress, Cabinet, States, Cities and Law Enforcement. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME ON YOU!!
    Last edited by Judy; 11-19-2015 at 05:25 PM.