Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Rick Santorum Under Fire For Telling Mexican Immigrant To Find Another Country

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rick Santorum Under Fire For Telling Mexican Immigrant To Find Another Country

Rick Santorum Under Fire For Telling Mexican Immigrant To Find Another Country

"... you've been given a tremendous benefit ..."

December 7, 2016 at 4:19pm

Former GOP presidential candidate and Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum has come under fire from social media after a segment on CNN Tuesday where he told an undocumented “Dreamer” who is also a mechanical engineer that if she fears deportation, she should go back to her own country.

Elizabeth Vilchis told Santorum that she came to the country at age 7. She excelled in school and eventually decided to pursue a STEM career path — Science, Technology, Engineering, Math — because she had heard about the declining number of students pursuing STEM degrees and deciding she wanted to “be part of the solution.”

Since then, Vilchis has become a mechanical engineer, and also a mentor for young students, spending more than a decade working with them to help prepare and inspire them to pursue engineering and other STEM careers.

Because she came to the country before she turned 16, she qualifies under President Obama’s 2012 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals executive order, which basically allows for renewable two-year deferred actions from deportation and eligibility for work permits, but not a lawful status in the country.

With President-elect Donald Trump’s campaign pledge to deport tens of thousands of illegal immigrants, those who qualified for the DACA deportation deferrals now worry they may be forced to leave the country.

“I stand to lose all the work that I’ve done if the [new] administration decides to end DACA,” Vilchis said. “My career will come to an end if that program ends and I will also potentially be labelled for deportation, which means I am going to be removed from the communities that I’ve contributed to so much.”

She asked Santorum how she should plan for her future given Trump’s strict stance on immigration.

Santorum shared some of his “own personal story” and described how, like her, his father also came to country at the age of seven. Due to current immigration laws at the time, however, his father wasn’t able to come to the country until that point and as a result, wasn’t able to be with his family.

But although he had to wait, Santorum said when he asked his father if he resented America, he said his father told him “America was worth the wait.” and that it was “worth doing it the right way.”

He then told Vilchis, “You have the ability to go to any other country right now, and apply those wares and be successful and reapply to come to America if you so choose.”

“I think what most people in America feel,” he added, “is that you’ve been given a tremendous benefit by being here in this country.”

Vilchis responded by telling Santorum that unlike his father, she was brought here without her knowledge and explained the harsh immigration laws in Mexico that ban her for 10 years from returning.

Santorum maintained his position that she should be grateful.

“It’s tragic to hear that,” he said. “As much as I’m sympathetic to you, you should recognize the gift that America has given you and that you can give to the world.”

http://www.westernjournalism.com/ric...pfeaturedlinks

MW
    Santorum has always been tough on the immigration issue. I've yet to see him waiver on the issue.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This proves my point that the 'dreamers', etc. are more dangerous than any.

You can be sure she did not pay for that education, we did the American taxpayers. So she can just take her free engineering degree and go back to her own country and work there. She should say thank you for that free education and not expect that we should let her stay here and take a job from an American. My son will never get his engineering degree for free that is for sure. Neither will other American children be offered the same. The "dreamer" seem to think they are entitled above the children of American. They must go......
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith1338 View Post
    You can be sure she did not pay for that education, we did the American taxpayers. So she can just take her free engineering degree and go back to her own country and work there. She should say thank you for that free education and not expect that we should let her stay here and take a job from an American. My son will never get his engineering degree for free that is for sure. Neither will other American children be offered the same. The "dreamer" seem to think they are entitled above the children of American. They must go......
    Not only that, but they are taking up space in the education system. Yes, if they want to be part of the solution, then take their education back to their country of origin. If they didn't need solutions there, then we wouldn't have to put up with them here.
    Support ALIPAC'sFIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He gave the right answer. You have been given much, be appreciative and go make the world a better place. She said she asked her parents to go home to Mexico. They all should have returned home, together.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 12-12-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)