Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Romney vows to press Obama on immigration reform at next debate

By Elise Viebeck - 10/06/12 08:24 PM ET
    The Hill

Mitt Romney promised voters in Florida Saturday that he would raise the issue of immigration reform during the next presidential debate.

The remark came as Romney hit President Obama for a lackluster performance in Wednesday night's match-up, and ran down a list of pointed questions he said he was glad to ask the president on the economy, the national debt and healthcare reform.

Obama "said he'd put in immigration reform in his first year," Romney told a crowd outside Orlando. "That's a question … I hope I get to ask in the next debate."

Florida is a crucial swing state for whoever wins on Nov. 6, but in national polls, Romney lags far behind Obama with Latino voters.

The former Massachusetts governor made news last week when he said if elected, he would not deport young undocumented immigrants given special visas by Obama.

"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place … should expect that the visa would continue to be valid," Romney said in an interview Tuesday.

"Before those visas have expired, we will have the full immigration-reform plan that I've proposed," he added.

On Saturday, Romney promised to "champion" small business, and noted that "Hispanic Americans are even more active in starting new businesses than the population at large."

In broad strokes, he also committed to education reform, a smaller deficit and a more drill-friendly energy policy.

"I don't think we can afford four more years like the last four years," Romney said.

"Every year [of Obama's presidency], the median income has gone down. … Gasoline prices up at twice what they used to be."

"These are tough years for the middle class and the poor in America," he said.

Romney spoke to voters in Apopka, Fla., outside Orlando. His next debate against Obama will come Oct. 16 in New York, in a townhall format.

One Old Vet

Romney vows to press Obama on immigration reform at next debate - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place … should expect that the visa would continue to be valid," Romney said in an interview Tuesday.

"Before those visas have expired, we will have the full immigration-reform plan that I've proposed," he added.
    Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Romney.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)