Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Scam artists reported targeting illegal immigrants

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/reg ... st=orlocal

Scam artists reported targeting illegal immigrants
    6/3/2006, 1:32 p.m. PT
    The Associated Press

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Scam artists are reported to have targeted illegal immigrants in Oregon with claims of front-of-the-line advantages for a guest-worker program that doesn't exist.

The con is described as a claim that the scam artist can place undocumented immigrants in a new federal program that would give them priority for citizenship.

Federal and state prosecutors say they've gotten no formal complaints. But anecdotes abound.

One report says immigrants in Woodburn have been approached with the offer of a $200 "special letter" that gives them priority for amnesty or guest-worker visas.

But the Congress hasn't passed such a provision, and there are sharp differences on the issue between members of the House and the Senate.

"I'm sure people are totally confused. It's either, 'You're going to get your papers,' or 'They're going to round everybody up,' " said Devin Bernard, community outreach worker for Catholic Charities' El Program Hispano in Portland. "Even U.S. citizens who've been in this country their whole lives are confused about what's happening in Congress now, so imagine if you didn't speak the language."

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, part of the Department of Homeland Security, has posted a notice about the ploy on its Web site.

In its English- and Spanish-language notice, the agency advises immigrants that "Congress has not passed any legislation that would create a (new) temporary worker program" and, therefore, such a program "does not exist."

Sharon Rummery, a spokeswoman with the agency's regional office in San Francisco, said she's heard about fraud cases in Texas and Florida but not in Oregon. "But it's happened there in the past," she said.

Con artists are offering to help undocumented immigrants fill out paperwork for the nonexistent guest-worker program for a fee, said Aeryca Steinbauer, the statewide coordinator for CAUSA, an immigrant-rights advocacy group in Woodburn.

Ramon Ramirez, the president of PCUN, a Spanish acronym for Northwest Treeplanters and Farmworkers United in Woodburn, said that he has heard about a letter being circulated that offers to put immigrants on a fast track to citizenship at a triple-digit cost.

At radio station KWIP-AM in Dallas, disc jockeys are warning people not to fall prey to the scam and putting immigration lawyers and immigrant-rights advocates on the air with advice.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Even U.S. citizens who've been in this country their whole lives are confused about what's happening in Congress now, so imagine if you didn't speak the language."
    Not MY problem......maybe if they weren't so intent on taking over they may have learned the language. Sorry.....bitter right now. Fake papers? Hey NO BIG DEAL is it? Not until it effects you.....sorry no pity here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Tough titty said the kitty...a case of the burgler getting burgled. My heart bleeds NOT!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJones
    Tough titty said the kitty...a case of the burgler getting burgled. My heart bleeds NOT!
    You have some unique and witty replies that crack me up. :P

Uh oh, get the violins ready for the usual whining, moaning, crying and bellyaching.

Illegals scam all the time. Fake i.d.'s, stolen Social Security numbers but when they get a taste of their own medicine it's time for the weeping, wailing and moaning.

And there might be some bottom-dwelling lawyer out there who wants to sue for these poor misguided souls.

Senior Member NoIllegalsAllowed's Avatar
    Sell them a piece of green construction paper

I could care less if the illegals are getting scammed.
    Free Ramos and Compean NOW!

You know my grandfather used to say it is hard to cheat an honest man.

Of course, that isn't really true, but 9 times out of 10, the person thinks they are getting something for nothing.

This is nothing new - this has been going on as long as I have been old enough to hear about it - that's a while.

But they know what they are doing is not right - they know they are here illegally.

What's the problem? Scammers got scammed.

These are not innocent children and I am getting tired of hearing people pretending they are.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by nntrixie
    You know my grandfather used to say it is hard to cheat an honest man.
    An honest man doesn't sneak into a country unless he's been indoctrinated that "the border crossed us."

These are not innocent children and I am getting tired of hearing people pretending they are.
    Very well put! No one likes to see someone fall to misfortune .. at least most folks are "good-hearted" but it's the "good-hearted" (American citizens) folks that are losing their last ounce of compassion because even "good-hearted" folks eventually get tired of getting run over and taken advantage of.

I'd bet most lost their last ounce of compassion with the brazen rallies and arrogant demands starting with the rallies in April, the ones on May 1 and the consistent insistent demands of these blatant invaders and their bloviating non-leader Fox.