Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Seattle OKs boycott of Arizona over immigration law

Seattle OKs boycott of Arizona over immigration law

by Emily Heffter -
    May. 17, 2010 05:25 PM
    Seattle Times .

SEATTLE - The Seattle City Council voted Monday to boycott Arizona as much as possible because of a new, stricter immigration law there.

Arizona legislators voted in April to give police power to detain anyone suspected of being in the country illegally and makes the failure to carry immigration documents a crime.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... ycott.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

SicNtiredinSocal OK's boycott of Seattle over thier boycott of AZ's new immigration law.

Does anyone care?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Seattle council votes to boycott Ariz., with 1 exception

The Seattle City Council voted Monday to boycott Arizona as much as possible because of a new, stricter immigration law there.

By Emily Heffter

Seattle Times staff reporter

The Seattle City Council voted Monday to boycott Arizona as much as possible because of a new, stricter immigration law there.

Arizona legislators voted in April to give police power to detain anyone suspected of being in the country illegally and makes the failure to carry immigration documents a crime.

Seattle joins several other cities in passing a boycott of the state in response to the law. Boston, New York City, Los Angeles, Oakland, West Hollywood and San Diego have passed similar resolutions condemning the law and promising to spend less money in the state. San Francisco; St. Paul, Minn.; and Denver's school systems have banned employee travel to Arizona using public funds.

A large coalition including labor groups and advocates for immigrants showed up to Monday's City Council meeting in Seattle to show support for the boycott. They said the Arizona law is a proof of a need for immigration reform nationally.

"Seattle would today, with this vote, joins with a host of other cities that are trying to get the federal government's attention," said Councilmember Sally Clark, the resolution's sponsor.

Several people opposed the resolution. Craig Keller, of Respect Washington, brought a small cactus to remind council members what they would be missing if they boycott Arizona.

"What you're trying to do here is grandstanding in support of an amnesty [for illegal immigrants]."

Keller and others with him said a crackdown on illegal immigrants would help protect American jobs.

Supporters of the law from OneAmerica, El Centro de la Raza and other groups said the resolution was a chance to stand with Hispanics in Arizona who might fear being targeted under the law.

"This law is a direct attack on all Latino day laborers," said Mario Garcia, a day laborer who has been in the country for about five years.

"We are just hardworking people who want to be legal in this country because it is our dream," said Maria Arana, another supporter of the Seattle council's resolution.

The City Council got a standing ovation when it voted, 7-0, with two members absent, to pass the resolution. But in truth, it won't have much practical effect. The resolution was written to protect the only substantial contract Seattle has with an Arizona company. That's a $106,000-a-month contract with American Traffic Solutions, which operates the city's 29 red-light cameras.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... il18m.html

Boycott Hollywood and see if the film commissions in these various cities pay attention.

Makes me sick these cities want to boycott another state just because they want to protect their citizens.

But on the other hand these are just city council members and they evidentally do not speak for their citizens and it shows on blogs. Just as some church leaders speak out against the enforcing of immigration laws without speaking to their congregations first.

I still call Democrat and Republican Senators and express my opinion to them. And the phones must be really busy since I get messages to leave a message because of the volume of calls. But I have not gotten any nasty or negative responses from any of the staffers
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Notice they are all sanctuary cities and going broke because of their policys!! Smart bunch of politicans eh!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

C'mon surely most Seattle residents don't agree with their sanctuary status ? I hope the citizens vote for a new city council next election.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

About every poll you read shows that 60% of the public supports Arizona's law, believe in Arizona support is 70%. So when these public officials vote for such boycotts they are not speaking for the people, they should make it clear they are speaking for themselves.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    I don't know about you but I can't stand these cities ganging up on their concerned citizens. Like they think they can stomp all over the public and don't give a hoot. A handfull of brat councillors brand all people within their boundaries with some phoney stinking resolution against another state in our country. As a law-abiding citizen of the USA I reject all cities who boycott Arizona. If these cities want to go pro-amnesty, they deserve to lose the respect and loyalty of their residents. Residents should now begin by discrediting their own cities just as their leaders have dissed them.