Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sen. Sessions: Immigration Bill Would 'Provide Safe Harbor' to 'Those with Criminal R

Sen. Sessions: Immigration Bill Would 'Provide Safe Harbor' to 'Those with Criminal Records'

April 17, 2013
    By Craig Bannister

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) says the new immigration bill will "provide safe harbor to those who have committed a variety of offenses" and "even those with criminal records."

Reacting to the bill (S. 744), Sen. Sessions says:

"Alarmingly, the bill leaves intact the single greatest obstacle to immigration reform: the Administration's abuse of prosecutorial discretion to prevent the enforcement of federal law. It will also provide safe harbor to those who have committed a variety of offenses-ranging from identity theft, to multiple immigration violations, and even those with criminal records."

Specifically, Sessions' office points to the section titled "Grounds for Ineligibility," which says one disqualifier is "3 or more misdemeanor offense" - suggesting that two convictions would warrant ineligibility.

The bill also empowers the Secretary to waive ineligibility based on criminal convictions for a variety of reasons, ranging from "humanitarian" concerns to "public interest":

"The Secretary may waive the application of subparagraph (A)(i)(III) or any provision of section 212(a) that is not listed in clause (ii) on behalf of an alien for humanitarian purposes, to ensure family unity, or if such a waiver is otherwise in the public interest. Any discretionary authority to waive grounds of inadmissibility under section 212(a) conferred under any other provision of this Act shall apply equally to aliens seeking registered provisional status under this section."

Sen. Sessions warns that passage of the bill would send a bad message:

"This bill opens up citizenship to recent arrivals and, remarkably, millions who overstayed their visas. If adopted, this bill would send the following message to the world: if you get a U.S. visa and it expires, never leave-just stay put and evade detection. It even opens up citizenship to those who have been deported from the country."

See full PDF text of bill
    http://cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannis...iminal-records

Yes, I read that part, and it bothers me also, the so called "Secretary" BIG JANET, can issue waivers to many in this bill.

So far one of the places that concerns me is this statement that allows FAMILIES in full to apply with no description on family size or relitives etc:

‘‘(B) FAMILYAPPLICATION.—The Sec9
    Secretary shallestablish a process through which
    10 an alien may submit a singleapplication under
    11 this section on behalf of thealien, his or her
    12 spouse, and his or herchildren, who are residing in the United States
    Last edited by dregerk; 04-18-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Any and all comments & Opinions and postings by me are considered of my own opinion, and not of any ORG that I belong to! PERIOD!