Sen. Stabenow: 'I Have No Idea’ How Many DUIs an Illegal Can Get and Still Be Legalized

June 27, 2013 -
By Taylor Knopf and Barbara Hollingsworth

(CNSNews.com) -- One hour before the Senate voted on its sweeping immigration reform bill, Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), who supported the legislation, said she had “no idea” how many DUIs an illegal alien can have under the bill and still be made a legal resident of the United States.

On Capitol Hill on Thursday, CNSNews.com asked Stabenow, “Under the Senate immigration bill, how many DUIs can an illegal alien have and still be legalized?”

AUDIO AT LINK

Stabenow said, “Gosh, I have no idea. I mean, I don’t -- how many DUIs?”

“Did you vote on the bill?” Knopf asked.

“You’re with who?” Stabenow said.

“CNSNews.”

“Okay.”

Stabenow then indicated she had to leave, adding on the issue of DUIs, “I’m not sure if it’s one or two or … I think it may be one. I’m not sure.”

In the legislation, an illegal alien is allowed two DUI convictions to still be eligible for legal status in the United States and put on a path to citizenship. (See pages 251-253 of amended legislation.)

The Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act passed in the Senate on Thursday afternoon 68-32. Sen. Stabenow voted for the legislation.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/sen-...l-be-legalized