Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Sign-carrying protesters want immigration laws enforced

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 1004/rss01

Sign-carrying protesters want immigration laws enforced
    Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 06/25/06
    BY HARTRIONO B. SASTROWARDOYO
    STAFF WRITER
    MANASQUAN — By Ron Bass' estimate, there were four dozen people waiting at the corner of Route 71 and Main Street in Manasquan. They all were waiting for a ride — not on the NJ Transit bus that stops there, nor on the train at the station one block up the street. They were waiting for a ride to work.

Aside from the group being all male, and that they were in a parking lot clearly marked in Spanish and English, "No congregarse/No traspasar" ("No loitering/No trespassing"), they had another trait in common, Bass said.

"Every one of them is an illegal alien," he alleged.

Bass, a 61-year-old resident of Elizabeth, is founder and president of Linden-based United Patriots of America, and was among six people representing a coalition of groups protesting illegal immigration in the borough Saturday. Holding signs such as "Don't hire illegals," "Secure our borders" and "Save Amer-ican jobs," they stood at a known gathering spot for illegal immigrants, objecting to what they say is a lax enforcement of immigration laws.

"We're here to send a message to fellow citizens and to elected officials that we will not accept nonenforcement of the laws of the United States," said Bass, adding his group plans to hold future protests on Saturdays at the same location in Manasquan, near borough hall.

Joining them were representatives from like-minded organizations such as New Jersey Citizens for Immigration Control, Carlstadt and New Jersey Minutemen.

While relations between the immigrants and the protesters were peaceful, without a word passing between them, some passing motorists yelled at the protesters. One of them asked UPA member Carmen Morales, 58, of Middlesex County, where her ancestors were from.

"That's not the point," said Morales, a citizen born to Puerto Rican parents. "Yes, we are all immigrants, but do they (the people waiting for work) have the right to cross the border illegally?"

"We're not looking to do anything other than educate people on how bad the problem is," said Ted Mechnick, 58, of Wall. "We're not looking for confrontation."

As well, "homeowners don't realize that if they hire someone who is not insured and that person gets hurt, they can go after your homeowner's policy," said Pat DeFilippis of Lakewood, a New Jersey Minutemen member who also runs a home-improvement company.

Mechnick, who runs a construction company in Lakewood, said hiring legal workers is not difficult as long as one is persistent.

"There are plenty of guys out of work today," he said. Mechnick said he took out a newspaper ad, and though it cost him $1,300, he found four people whom he hired.

"I'm (determined to get) all legal people," Mechnick said. "It all worked out."

ON THE WEB: Visit our Web site, www.app.com, and click on this story in the Monmouth section for links to: United Patriots of America and New Jersey Citizens for Immigration Control.

Hartriono B. Sastrowardoyo: (609) 978-4581 or harts@app.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Yes, we are all immigrants, but....
    Sorry, I've been in this country all my life, born and raised here. That makes me not an immigrant. My great-great grandparents were the immigrants--let's get that straight right now. We are not a country of immigrants--we were 100 years ago, but not now.

"I'm (determined to get) all legal people," Mechnick said. "It all worked out."
    Now there's a true patriot--great for you, Mr. Mechnick!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Absolutely Rockfish. That is a very tired argument.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Agreed.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh, very funny, Legal..

MW
    I agree Rockfish, my ancestors have been here since the early 1700's - I'm no immigrant - they were! I was born here to U.S. citizens, that makes this my country. I'm sick and tired of being classified as an immigrant. Blacks came to this country as slaves, does that mean they're still slaves? Of course it doesn't!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW wrote
    I'm sick and tired of being classified as an immigrant.
    I was begining to think that I was being politikally inkorrect. Now I know that I'm not the only one that feels this way. But I guess LegalUSCitizen really thinks that LegalUSCitizen is at the top of LegalUSCitizen's game with all of those ZZZZZs and rolling those eyes. LegalUSCitizen probably thinks Im lazy. This wouldn't be the first time that LegalUSCitizen has had something sarcastic to say about something I posted.