Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Six members of Perdue's Latino commission step down

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 384489.htm

Six members of Perdue's Latino commission step down
    Associated Press
    ATLANTA - Six members of Gov. Sonny Perdue's Latino Commission for a New Georgia have resigned, saying the governor did not seek their input before signing the state's new law against illegal immigration.

Some commission members expressed their opposition to the illegal immigration legislation, but others simply said they were upset that Perdue did not consult them.

"The fact that no feedback or opinions were elicited from this 'Latino Commission' make it very obvious to me that this commission is mere window dressing," Alex Salgueiro, president of the Savannah Restaurants Corp., wrote in his Tuesday resignation letter. "As a dedicated Republican and a citizen of Georgia, I do not feel it is a good use of my valuable time to serve on a sham commission."

Perdue created the 17-member commission in July 2003 to serve as an advisory board to help develop minority-owned small businesses and to lure international companies to create jobs and conduct business in Georgia. The commission members also were supposed to advise the governor on public policy issues such as education, health care and economic development.

Sara Gonzalez, president and CEO of the Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, was one of the first commission members to step down because she felt her input was not sought on the illegal immigration law.

"I thought that the role of the commission was to offer the governor counsel or advice," Gonzalez said Wednesday. "I felt that was not the case. It was not happening."

Heather Hedrick, a spokeswoman for Perdue, said that while the governor did not personally meet with the commission members on Senate Bill 529, his staff solicited opinions from the commission on the anti-illegal immigration measure through an e-mail sent March 30.

"We are disappointed that these members of the Latino Commission have resigned, especially because Senate Bill 529 is not an anti-immigrant bill," Hedrick said. "We are a welcoming state - but we're also a law-abiding state. We welcome everyone to come to Georgia - but we ask they use the front door, not the back door."

But at least one commission member has sent Perdue a note expressing his support of the measure.

"This is my home, I feel that anyone coming to live and work here should abide by our rules set down by so many Godly people so many years ago," commission member Gilbert Esparza wrote in a Wednesday e-mail message. "Please accept my thanks to you for taking a stand."

Meanwhile, Maritza Pichon, executive director of the Latin American Association, said Wednesday she is deciding whether to stay on the commission.

"There are a lot of tensions around the issue of immigration," she said. "I think it existed on the Latino Commission as well as in the mainstream. It's been difficult to reconcile."

She said she is concerned about the group's ability to function with so many members resigning.

The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act was signed into law by Perdue on Monday and is said to be among the toughest immigration laws in the nation. The new law will verify that adults seeking many state-administered benefits are in the country legally, sanction employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants and mandate that companies with state contracts check the immigration status of their employees.

The law will also require police to check the immigration status of people they arrest to see if they face deportation orders.

The measure is believed to be the first comprehensive immigration package to make it through a statehouse this session, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

On your way out, don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya! :P

Adios!

I have a feeling they will be able to function just fine.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ITA!!!

Looks pretty plain to me that the Latino Commission was window dressing for promoting violation of the immigration law. Illegal is/means illegal now so there appear to be no other issues of interest in the state for Latinos. Good.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As Arnold once said...

Asta la Vista Baby!!!!

We need to let Governer Purdue know that we know he made the right decision here. He for one, stood up against being politikally inkorrect.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great idea Rockfish.

Here's Gov Perdue's site.

http://www.gov.state.ga.us/

and here is the email contact form..

http://www.gov.state.ga.us/contact_dom.shtml

I just dropped him a note of appreciation. Well looks like there are some jobs available in Atlanta.

I don't see where the block is. They are breaking the law. End of story. I bet this was demanded by our relentless mystery guest behind the border, El Presidente.

Probably Perdue's payback because he told Fox to butt out the other day when he warned he was going to be watching. I guess the horse's head is next.