Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Smith County sheriff to testify on border security and immigration enforcement

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Smith County sheriff to testify on border security and immigration enforcement

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 5:20 PM PST
    Updated: Apr 17, 2015 5:20 PM PST
    By Jeff Wright

SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV) -

Released by the Smith County Sheriff's Office:

Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith has been invited by Texas State Senator Bob Hall to testify before the Senate Sub-committee on Border Security, which is a sub-committee of the Senate Committee on Veteran Affairs & Military Installations.

Up for consideration in the 8 AM Monday, April 20th Senate public hearing is Hall's SB 1252, which would give the Governor the authority to develop and enter into a Southern Border Security Interstate Compact with other interested states. (State Rep. Matt Schaefer (Tyler) filed companion House Bill 3401.)

Article 1, Section 10 of the U.S. Constitution recognizes the authority of the states to create an interstate compact to be approved by Congress. With Congressional consent, the compact rises to the level of federal law and grants participating states the right of relevant federal jurisdiction. This right will empower participating states to enforce existing federal immigration laws and to gain operational control of the Southern U.S. border.

Sheriff Smith said, “I am honored to join representatives from the National Border Patrol, the President of The Sheriffs' Association of Texas – Jackson County Sheriff A. J. Louderback, and Dr. Mike Vickers from Texas Border Volunteers to testify about the dangerous situations we are dealing with because the federal government has failed to secure the southern border. It is refreshing to have the interior sheriffs invited to the table to testify, and I commend Senator Hall for doing so.”

Smith added, “Political games have been played with this dangerous border situation for too long. A secure border means that only those who are authorized to cross the border can do so. I appreciate DPS Director Colonel McCraw's clarity on the matter as he was questioned in Senate Finance Committee hearings – ‘The border is secure when you detect and apprehend every smuggling event between the legal ports of entry. We have not secured the border.'”

Smith continued, “Transnational criminal activity does not stop at the border. The cartels and transnational gangs have set up operations across this state. They actively exploit our open border to conduct illicit drug and human trafficking activities. The implications for the current and future security of our State and Nation as a whole are significant. Sheriffs all over this state are dealing with the effects of the federal government's failure to secure our border. Incidents are increasing where law enforcement officers are facing cartel members trained to use military tactics and weaponry, and the threat of terrorism is real. It's time the State of Texas stood up to lead on this issue, and I'm happy to testify about the increasing dangers our communities face when the rule of law is ignored.”

http://www.kltv.com/story/28834994/s...on-enforcement
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I love this. GO TEXAS!!

We love you, Texas! You have no idea how much your words, plans and actions invigorate your fellow citizens all across this great country to keep working and fighting to save our nation from the travesty of illegal immigration.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

TX had to get past the Bush and Perry eras, or in my opinion it is unlikely this would be happening. I'd love to se an Interstate com;pact. Daggers exist that may make fruition difficult, first and foremost Congressional approval. Second, how much will other states contribute to the Compact's administration costs?

I am not aware that any other state at this time is considering this? Can anyone inform me?