Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Smugglers exploit downturn in housing market

Smugglers exploit downturn in housing market

Monday, January 7, 2008

The Associated Press

SURPRISE, Ariz. — Unable to sell his house in suburban Phoenix’s anemic real estate market, Jason Winterholler rented to a couple who paid the deposit in cash and didn’t haggle over price.

It was a deal he came to regret.

The renters were fronts for immigrant smugglers who used the house as a hiding place for illegal immigrants and trashed the home. In October, a SWAT team drove an armored personnel carrier onto the lawn and raided the house, rounding up nearly two dozen people.

“That was the biggest disappointment. I definitely felt violated,â€

i wish

I would like to know more details about what kinds of houses are targeted by smugglers, so we could all keep a better lookout.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of task force that could investigate likely areas where smugglers would rent.

It seems to me there would some telltale signs of unusual activitiy. I know smugglers are clever and are very adept at keeping a low profile, but there must be some marker that would idenitify this kind of activity.

Any suggestions?

Banned

Re: i wish

Quote Originally Posted by jonhaloi
    I would like to know more details about what kinds of houses are targeted by smugglers, so we could all keep a better lookout.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of task force that could investigate likely areas where smugglers would rent.

It seems to me there would some telltale signs of unusual activitiy. I know smugglers are clever and are very adept at keeping a low profile, but there must be some marker that would idenitify this kind of activity.

Any suggestions?
    No but your right
    Ill sure see if i cand find somethings out