Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Supplies low for shelters helping migrants as holidays near

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Supplies low for shelters helping migrants as holidays near

Supplies low for shelters helping migrants as holidays near

By RUSSELL CONTRERAS -

12/4/18 5:27 PM

LAS CRUCES, N.M. — An exhausted Alonzo Juan Jose sat still on a cot inside a shelter in southern New Mexico. For six days, the 24-year-old migrant from Huehuetenango, Guatemala, and his 5-month-old daughter, Allison Yajaira Juan Miguel, slept on a concrete floor while in U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention.

Now they were moments away from a good night’s rest following a nearly monthlong journey through Mexico, to an El Paso Port of Entry, to the refuge of the Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Cathedral in Las Cruces.

“I just want her to sleep,” Juan Jose said in Spanish as he rocked his daughter.
    More migrants like the father and daughter duo are coming. Volunteer shelters in the U.S. say they are getting hit with an expected surge of new migrants seeking asylum in the U.S. who need temporary housing. Nonprofit groups and churches — especially along the U.S.-Mexico border — are racing to get donated clothes, diapers, cots and meals for Central American migrants as the holidays approach and resources begin to dwindle.

The move comes as Trump administration in recent weeks has been releasing detained immigrants from Central America at a quicker pace than previously, putting a strain on shelters from San Diego to South Texas.
    Shelters say ICE is no longer helping migrants with travel plans and is now releasing them from custody whether the migrants have places to stay or not.

In some case, volunteers are picking up migrants from train and bus stations after getting dropped off by immigration officials. Other times, shelters are getting surprised by busloads of migrants at their front doors.
    Church leaders in the Phoenix say ICE has released about 5,000 migrants in the last two months to Latino churches in the area.

ICE officials have said the agency lacks the resources to house the growing number of migrant families crossing into ports of entries in California, Arizona and Texas, and they have begun releasing them to nonprofit shelters and churches in the area.

Sylvia Corona, one of the volunteer coordinator at Immaculate Heart of Mary, said the network of shelters in southern New Mexico and West Texas believes the demand will continue to grow in the coming weeks.

“I think we’re going to see hundreds of families needing places to stay,” Corona said. “We’re opening up two more shelters soon. We’re letting them stay in our own homes if we have to, but we’ll find something.”

In the meantime, Immaculate Heart of Mary and others have set up Amazon.com registries to facilitate donations like baby clothes, paper plates and coats. Annunciation House, an immigrant shelter in El Paso, Texas, is asking for packets of underwear and socks.

The shelters house the migrants until they are able to make other travel arrangements.
    The call for donations has hit communities far from the border and has used the migrant caravan to highlight the growing need, although not all migrants are connected to the caravan that has garnered international attention.

Last week, for example, the Berkeley City Council in Berkeley, California, voted to donate money to provide food, shelter and basic needs to caravan members detained at U.S. ports of entry or traveling to immigration hearings.

During a recent evening at Immaculate Heart of Mary, Cirila Alejandra Calelpu, 20, of Huehuetenango, Guatemala, selected donated clothes for her and her daughter Lucia Tojen Calel, 3. The pair had just been released from an El Paso ICE detention center following a monthlong journey north. Like Juan Jose, she was fleeing gang violence.

“I’m going to Florida tomorrow to be with my sister,” Calelpu said while fighting off a cold. Children around her played with donated toys while other mothers combed through piles of free clothes.

Juan Jose has headed to Birmingham, Alabama, to join his brother. “At least tonight, I get to take a shower,” Juan Jose said before closing his eyes.

His 5-month-old daughter then fell asleep in his arms as the pair lied on a cot. She began to snore. “Well,” he said. “Maybe I won’t.”

http://www.tribtown.com/2018/12/04/u...rant-shelters/

You've got to Stand for Something or You'll Fall for Anything

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

GO HOME IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAYS

YOUR PRESIDENT HAS SHELTERS, FOOD, MEDICAL CARE WAITING FOR YOU

GO HOME!

THESE CHURCHES NEED TO BE SUED WHEN ONE OF THESE "POOR MIGRANTS" MURDERS A U.S. CITIZEN!

THEY NEED TO LOOSE THEIR TAX-EXEMPT STATUS!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

And jobs. Honduras' President has jobs for them. He said so on world-wide TV!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Evangelical churches are targeted by the likes of Barry Linn, for being too overtly political. The bright line is supposed to be when a church's agenda becomes practically indistinguishable from a political agenda. With Democrats consistently banging the gong for "progressive" values---and little else----the churches that tacitly endorse them are following and propagating the same agenda. In fact, even though they make a somewhat passable interpretation of original Christianity there is a WHOLE LOT that they are not including. And the Democrats are shifting into a similar view. BINGO. I would say that they have merged.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Our churches have become way too involved in politics, government and money-grabbing. I hope they realize that and pull back, stick to their flocks, each other, their missions, whatever those may be, and refrain from involving themselves officially in political causes, social disputes and government business on either side or any side.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Our churches have become way too involved in politics, government and money-grabbing. I hope they realize that and pull back, stick to their flocks, each other, their missions, whatever those may be, and refrain from involving themselves officially in political causes, social disputes and government business on either side or any side.
    Everyone is a money grubber, though. I feel like kind of a sorry sap for not being more of one! For example I just had to pay a plumber to install a new main water line, $2400. He and his old man (who literally sat around half the time) were able to do it all in day, including a return for inspection. It would take me at least a month of my former wages after taxes to pay that, and even far worse in times of recession.

There is sort of a cultural myth that our society will benefit from a population with all higher educated people. No....they have to import laborers to do the manual work. So it is really the individuals who can jockey into position to reap the reward of an elite market who gain.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yeah, I know Captainron. And I have no problem with churches going out there and money grubbing all they want, I just don't want to be forced to pay any of it through taxes. I'd rather pay pure money grubbers, business people, not "charities" who pay no income tax, who pay no sales tax, who just take the money from taxable business enterprises and I don't think do any better job or cheaper job than pure accountable tax paying money grubbers.

That was a lot of money for that new main water line. I've never paid that much for one, but I've paid plenty of pretty pennies for plumbing work. I think young people should look into that field. It's not that hard most of the time and very lucrative. It's also very important work. Bad plumbing will ruin your life and upset your household and lifestyle more than any other home convenience.