Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Surreal scene gripped Vista streets Monday night

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/05 ... 5_2_06.txt

Surreal scene gripped Vista streets Monday night
    By: TERI FIGUEROA - Staff Writer
    May 2, 2006

SWAT officers discuss using tear
    gas and rubber bullets on a crowd
    of protesters that turned unruly in
    Vista on Monday night. About 200
    officers from around the county
    showed up to gain control of up
    to 1,000 people protesting.

Sheriff's deputies prepare to respond
    to a crowd of up to 1,000 people in
    the streets of Vista, some of whom
    had thrown bottles and rocks. The
    demonstrations shut down parts
    of North Santa Fe Avenue.

What began as a peaceful day of protests in Vista on Monday morphed into a strange scene, with police shutting down roads as protestors jammed onto street corners. At one point, a main thoroughfare in the city hosted a bizarre sight: about 200 police officers marching down an empty street.

By the end, events treaded into dangerous territory, when the riot-gear clad law officers stared down an unruly rock-throwing crowd.

In the Townsite neighborhood around 9 p.m., the crowd at the corner of West Los Angeles and North Santa Fe hovered around 800 or so. Many were quietly standing along the street corners; a few spilled into closed-off North Santa Fe. Some chanted in Spanish. Others drove slowly around, shouting and holding up flags. Electricity fused the air, and most in the crowd appeared fascinated by the scene.

By 9:30 or so, a few in the crowd moved slightly down the street, in front of a large apartment complex on West Los Angeles.

Traffic there came to a halt as a group of unruly protesters ---- who appeared to be in their late teens or early 20s ---- stopped and partied in the middle of the road, an impromptu happening. Vehicles blocking the intersection parked in a circle. One person crawled up on top of a car and shouted. Another man sprayed a fire extinguisher into the air. Many ran around with large flags.

People and protestors floated in and out of the area down side streets.

By 11 p.m., less than a mile away, law enforcement officers from agencies across the county were lined up on North Santa Fe Drive, at the corner of East Vista Way.

With police dogs and their handlers leading the way on foot, about 35 police and sheriff's cars carrying about 200 officers, followed behind. The walking officers and cars with flashing lights spread out the width of shut-down North Santa Fe during their slow push north up the street.

A handful of protestors followed the parade of police and deputies in alleys parallel to the street, some whistling and calling out jeers.

At one point, the push stopped and a contingent of about two dozen officers turned up a side road to seek out the unruly, who appeared to disperse.

The eerie parade of police then crawled further up North Santa Fe, turning right at West Los Angeles, the site of a massive gathering earlier in the evening that saw about 800 people lining the sidewalks and some spilling into the shut-down street.

But when the rolling armada of cars reached the intersection, the area was mostly clear ---- save for a few people who'd parked in a dirt lot on the northeast corner of the street. One woman, holding an infant, stood outside of her car, videotaping the surreal scene.

The march down West Los Angeles came to an abrupt halt about 11:20 p.m. when officers stopped about 100 yards from the large apartment complex at 300 West Los Angeles, at the corner of Benito Juarez ---- which happened to be site of the earlier impromptu street party.

The geography of the area ---- since the complex runs along a sharp curve on West Los Angeles ---- meant the contingent of officers were staring straight ahead at what appeared from one vantage point to be about 50 people on a knoll inside the gates of the apartment complex.

Sheriff's officials put the number of gathered protesters between 200 and 300, with a few of them throwing rocks. At least one sheriff's patrol car has "a big dent" from a hurled rock, said Lt. Hernando Torres of the Vista substation.

Whatever the number was, the protestors and the police and deputies stood watching each other for long, tense minutes.

Police dogs barked. Protestors whistled. A helicopter roared overhead. And, over a loudspeaker in the rock-dented sheriff's car came a repeated message ---- in English and Spanish ---- warning everyone to go home.

Behind and alongside the officers one West Los Angeles, a few residents peeked out of their windows ---- and a handful ventured outside their doors ---- to watch the stare down.

About 20 minutes into the stand-off, many of the gathered protestors suddenly broke and ran deeper into the complex. Some who stayed remained on the grassy hill inside the fence, staring at the police.

The officers pushed forward.

The crowd thinned a little more.

Two minutes after midnight, about two dozen riot-gear clad officers pushed not far up a driveway into the very darkened complex.

A few minutes later, the officers left the complex. Torres said on Tuesday that the SWAT officers in the driveway encountered about 15 or so people, who quickly dispersed.

By 12:30, with the area quiet and seemingly cleared of protestors, police and deputies regrouped down the road and began to leave in small groups ---- a far less imposing image than their approach.

By 1:30 a.m., Torres said Tuesday, the scene was declared clear of trouble.

---------------------------
    Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Susan wrote on May 03, 2006 5:06 AM:"What a mess the streets are after this. Trash every where. Clean up your own neighborhood. Some on left tire marks all over the streets. Could that have been GANG members showing off? Could that have been GANG members causing all that mess and wasting the sheriff and police time?"

Vista Resident wrote on May 03, 2006 7:56 AM:"I though all illegal aliens were law abiding and just came here to work? WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP! This is an example of the REAL behavior these people are bringing to America. Vandalize and destroy your neighborhoods Mexico, not Vista! Way to show your true colors! Good job illegals!"

Mommie wrote on May 03, 2006 8:09 AM:"I think there are too many idiots out there who have no clue as to what is really going on, and not understanding the purpose of the protest. In reality, those who are out there waving their flags, drivin up the street honkin their horns, are quite annoying. It gives the perception to others in our society that hispanics are ignorant, disrespectful, and do deserve to be deported. "

Vista Resident wrote on May 03, 2006 8:19 AM:"I didn't mind the driving up and down my street with their flags, horns etc. I saw one car with a few girls sitting outside of the windows (not belted in)a very dangerous thing to do, and against the law! But when it comes to calling in extra Police from all over the county because some refused to disburse, and throwing things at officers, who do they think will pay the charges for the extra Police? It will be the tax payers, most of whom were in there homes."

DW wrote on May 03, 2006 8:20 AM:"Why wasn't there any arrests? We are becoming a lawless society. No law and order! Do these people really really want America to turn into Tijuana? If so we need to defend our country NOW. We are being invaded! Article 4 section 4 of the constitution says the feds must protect her states from foreign invasion. Bush hasn't done this, now it is up to us Patriots, (support goups who are taking a stand and get rid of these gutless politicians). Wake up America."

red wrote on May 03, 2006 9:11 AM:"My parents are immigrants, my spouse is Mexican.....Immigration is not the issue...ILLEGAL immigration is the issue....if enough drunk drivers or drug addicts protest, will they legalize these illegal activities also? And a great show of disruptive behavior...lets make you a citizen! Didnt notice any difference Monday in my life...."

Curtis wrote on May 03, 2006 9:34 AM:"In Vista, a rally at Wildwood Park attracted more than 1,200 demonstrators, with organizers estimating peak crowds at more than 2,000. After the event at the park ended, "opportunists" may have taken advantage of the day's protests to create problems, said Capt. Glenn Revell, spokesman for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. "We believe that 100 to 150 incited 1,000 others eventually at the end of what had been a peaceful demonstration," Revell said. "We believe some (of the 100 to 150) are definitely either gang members or associates of gang members." He said the small "splinter group bent on violent behavior" incited others at North California and Santa Fe avenues. Rocks and bottles were thrown, and officers shut down North Santa Fe Avenue because of the crowd. Officers eventually had a standoff with protesters who refused to go home, threatening people with arrest before the crowd dispersed. Throughout the day, people on both sides of immigration issues had been talking without problems at the event, Revell said. "There seemed to be an air of disagreement without disrespect," Revell said Tuesday. "We're disappointed that a handful of people turned it into something else late in the evening." Despite the problems, there were no injuries and no arrests at the time, despite some minor damage to two patrol cars, he said. That doesn't mean charges might not be filed on certain people after videotapes and accounts of what happened are reviewed, Revell said. He said the small "splinter group bent on violent behavior" incited others at North California and Santa Fe avenues. And at 7:50 p.m., rocks and bottles were being thrown at the six to 10 deputies. No one is certain if these individuals attended the event at Wildwood Park. It is strange how these articles prinited in the NCT on the same day discussing the same topic can be so different. It think Lt. Torres and Capt. Revel should have gotten together to get their stories straight. I think the whole thing was exaggerated and to much was made of it by the Sheriff's Dept. "

Ron wrote on May 03, 2006 9:34 AM:"Interestingly, the NC Times does not say whether the flags being waved were American or Mexican. Why not? Wouldn't that add to the "color" of the story? And what was this mob doing blocking the street from law abiding citizens at 11pm? Dont they have work in the morning? School? If your a Vista resident, this is no surprise to you. Gangs run the area along North Santa Fe and Los Angeles. This is the same area where automatic gunfire was heard during new years several years ago. And this is the same area where several men were shot for not stopping for police. And if you live in that area, you know what I'm talking about. Your afraid to go out after dark, because you might be robbed, or worse. This so-called "cultural sensitivity" police officers are supposed to show has allowed this culture of criminality. You notice in the story the law abiding were peeking out of their windows, hoping some stray bullet wouldn't come into their homes. These thugs have no respect for anyone person trying to make ends meet, trying to get a good nights sleep so they can get up in the morning and go to work. This is what normal people do. And because they were "brown-skined" the police leadership did not want to arrest anyone because then they would be called racist. Amazing, you can't even make the streets safe for working people, because of this political correctness. "

Rich wrote on May 03, 2006 9:37 AM:"I fully agree and support one's freedom of speech but this is not how it's done. This "protest" in Vista became very counterproductive and only justified what some characterize as "illegals don't want to abide by our (American)laws". You're not convincing anyone when behavior such as this is displayed."

Slippery Slope wrote on May 03, 2006 9:40 AM:"I’m concerned that we are on the verge of a disaster. There is no question in my mind that this movement has subversive undertones. They want to take over, and they will do so with violence. The fact that there were no arrests in Vista or Escondido and that police virtually did nothing, speaks bundles to the protesters. We are going down a slippery slope, and we better stop before its too late."

Eric wrote on May 03, 2006 8:00 PM:"I am an illegal. All I want is a job, to support my family. I will work for anyone & do whatever it takes to get that work. But guess what, I did not protest on Monday, and will not do so, we are here, but we should be able to make a stand in a better way. Also, why wave the Mexican flag, you are in America, act like an American. It's a harsh world; maybe the people protesting along with the gangs have little else to do, but some of us are just scraping a living to get by. Shame on all the Mexican's who attended the disturbance that evening - what were you thinking, that throwing rocks at a Police Car and the Police themselves would get your voice heard louder. All it should have gotten you was a night in jail."

US Citizen in Townsite wrote on May 03, 2006 10:26 AM:"Yes Susan this Townsite area has a history of being VHB territory. It's better than it used to be, but not as good as it could be. The 1st generation of Mexican-Americans (mainly the youth)need to do more for their families, their neighbors and their community. Then they'd be able to take REAL pride in themselves and gain the respect that they so desperately desire. The false pride of VHB is certain self destruction - and contributes nothing good to anyone. "

David wrote on May 03, 2006 1:07 PM:"Why weren't there any arrests? Assaults with deadly weapons, public drunks, reckless operation of vehicles and who knows what else. WHY WERE THERE NO ARRESTS?"

To Curtis! wrote on May 03, 2006 1:45 PM:"What is the difference in the articles? They are worded differently but say the same thing. A peaceful protest was turned into an overzealous mob of 1000 people marching down the street after being incited. After reinforcemnts arrived most left except for the original incitors. I suggest you get new reading glasses Curtis."

Law 'n Order wrote on May 03, 2006 3:31 PM:"Vista needs to get some funds into bringing a contingent of anti-gang taskforce members to sit on this neighborhood and stuff the arses of the VHB. The parents of these punks, whose somewhat legitimate cause gets thoroughly undermined and uglified by their punk-ass kids, need to be held fully accountable and denied any hope of US citizenship. Why would anybody want these people or their families as citizens/neighbors. "

Amazing. I lived in California not far from Vista. Almost bought a house there in 1998. This is not some run down neighborhood. For those who don't know, it is only about 15 minutes from the ocean. Much of the area is high priced homes.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican
    Amazing. I lived in California not far from Vista. Almost bought a house there in 1998. This is not some run down neighborhood. For those who don't know, it is only about 15 minutes from the ocean. Much of the area is high priced homes.
    A lot can happen in seven years though. I know you said high-priced homes. I've seen a relative's middle-class neighborhood be overrun by illegals since 2000.

The report did say it's an unsafe area - or maybe someone wrote that in the comments.

duplicate post

Interesting. I left in middle 2000. I think that magical real estate bubble is going to burst for those in that area. These are mainly hard working people living in that area. Typically they spend more for homes than they can afford.

So, yet another benefit of illegal aliens. Come into a good area...lower the prices...then buy your home at a loss to you.

Now, what is really going to be interesting is that area is ony a short distance from areas like Delmar or Carlsbad. Now we are talking millions for just maybe 1000 sg. ft.

Interesting. I left in middle 2000. I think that magical real estate bubble is going to burst for those in that area. These are mainly hard working people living in that area. Typically they spend more for homes than they can afford.

So, yet another benefit of illegal aliens. Come into a good area...lower the prices...then buy your home at a loss to you.

Now, what is really going to be interesting is that area is ony a short distance from areas like Delmar or Carlsbad. Now we are talking millions for just maybe 1000 sg. ft.
    I know a couple that moved to San Diego last summer to be on staff at a large church there. I'd just learned of the illegal immigration problem a year or so before that. I tried a few times to broach the subject with them but they seemed to want to be "good Christians" and not be judgmental. HA! I bet they realize now I wasn't just crying wolf. I warned them not to swim in the ocean because it was being reported that the sewage from Mexico was backing up into the ocean. Wonder if their little world is anymore "real" since the protests.

Thank you for posting this MopheadBlue

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Thank you for posting this MopheadBlue

W
    Glad to be of help.

MopheadBlue,
    You just might win if they have a best avatar contest.

MopheadBlue,
    You just might win if they have a best avatar contest.
    Hehe. Thanx. Just changed it tonight.

I thought this one was good also but a little crass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast