Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico seeks 2 suspects in reported lake shooting

By JORGE VARGAS, Associated Press Writer,
    Sunday, October 10, 2010 at 4:07 p.m.

NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico — Authorities are searching for a pair of Mexican brothers they suspect in the reported border-lake shooting of a missing American, a police official in the border state of Tamaulipas said Sunday.

David Hartley has not been seen since his wife reported the Sept. 30 attack on Falcon Lake on the Rio Grande.

Mexican investigators believe brothers Juan Pedro and Jose Manuel Zaldivar Farias may have killed Hartley as he took photos of a sunken church from a personal watercraft, Tamaulipas State Police unit chief Juan Carlos Ballesteros said.

The pair already are wanted for allegedly belonging to a gang of pirates that operates on Falcon Lake, which straddles the U.S.-Mexico border, and for terrorizing a Mexican town at the south end of the lake.

Ballesteros gave no other details of the investigation.

The announcement came a day after the Mexican government announced that it had opened a federal investigation into the reported shooting on the lake and strongly denied delaying action on looking for the missing man or his attackers.

Falcon Lake is a dammed section of the Rio Grande, 25 miles long and 3 miles across. Pirates have robbed boaters and fisherman on the Mexican side, prompting warnings by Texas state officials, but Hartley's death would mark the first violent fatality on the lake.

Mexico's foreign ministry said the federal attorney general's office had begun an investigation based on Tiffany Hartley's testimony about the attack to Mexican consulate officials in McAllen, Texas, where she lives.

Mexican authorities continued to search Falcon Lake and its Mexican shore for Hartley, with support from the Mexican military and U.S. agencies. Tiffany Hartley says her husband was shot in the head while they used personal watercrafts on the lake.

She told Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez of Zapata County, Texas, that she tried to retrieve her husband but left him behind and fled when the attackers started shooting at her.

The Tamaulipas state civil protection agency said it has 102 people searching the lake and shore with the help of three boats, five all-terrain vehicles and 53 trucks.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010 ... -shooting/
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 10-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

All bull. I don't believe for one second that they have evidence. This quite simply is a "round-up-the-usual-suspects" media event intended to take the heat off incompetent and corrupt Mexican officials. Remember Ricardo Ramirez? He was an "undocumented worker" well-known to both the community and the Basalt, Colorado police. He shot up a 7-11 Store with an M-1 rifle because Bruno Kirchenwitz wore T-shirts and hats he didn't like. The chief of police, now retired, dragged his feet and Ricardo was never arrested and never seen again. Lake Falcon bandidos and pirates aren't on any radar anywhere, probably with more identities than bullets. Neither government has a clue about who does what. It's totally out of control and these murderers will never be brought to justice for this crime. Maybe later. Obama, Holder & Napolitano are working on it.
    '58 Airedale

The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) said the lake was notorious for Mexican drug pirates and, in a statement, warned people not to leave the safety of U.S. waters.
    So is there a sign or marker buoy or something else to mark this deadly territory?

So they know of the danger that exists

BUT there is no one present to PROTECT the people or the area around it

Or is this another spot that they placed signs ENTER at your OWN RISK? (ON US SOIL)
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) said the lake was notorious for Mexican drug pirates and, in a statement, warned people not to leave the safety of U.S. waters.
    So is there a sign or marker buoy or something else to mark this deadly territory?

So they know of the danger that exists

BUT there is no one present to PROTECT the people or the area around it

Or is this another spot that they placed signs ENTER at your OWN RISK? (ON US SOIL)
    The international border is marked and well-known to locals who use the lake. The cartels have made the entire lake dangerous. As president, I'd send a battalion (a company might do it) of Marines down there and clean 'em out. I see this as no different from the Nine-Eleven act of war except in scale.
    '58 Airedale

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone

i think i heard somewhere that the international border is lined by bouys in the water thought i have not seen pictures of this

Mexican AG Denies Report of Suspects in Jet Ski Case

Updated: 1 hour 38 minutes ago
    Lisa Flam Contributor

AOL News (Oct. 11) -- Is it back to the beginning in the investigation of an American man reportedly shot to death by Mexican pirates?

A Mexican official is disputing a weekend report saying two suspects have been identified in the shooting death of David Hartley on the Mexican side of Falcon Lake, which straddles the Texas-Mexico border.

A Mexican police commander from Tamaulipas state identified two brothers as suspects, according to the El Universal newspaper. It said police were looking for Juan Pedro Saldivar-Farias and Jose Manuel Saldivar-Farias.

But Ruben Dario Rios Lopez, spokesman for the state attorney general in Tamaulipas, denied on Sunday that there are any suspects, according to The Monitor newspaper in McAllen, Texas. Rios Lopez said his office would know if there were.

Tiffany Hartley is shown with her husband, David Hartley, who was allegedly killed by Mexican pirates on the waters of Falcon Lake on the Texas-Mexico border. Mexican authorities have denied a report that two suspects had been identified."Neither the [Tamaulipas] attorney general's office nor the personnel working in this investigation have named any suspects," he told the paper. "Officially, there is nothing."

On the Texas side, Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez said he had not been notified that the brothers had been named as suspects, The Monitor reported.

Authorities have been looking for the body of 30-year-old Hartley, of McAllen, Texas. His wife, Tiffany Hartley, said he was shot in the head Sept. 30 while they were riding on a Jet Ski on Falcon Lake, a dangerous border area between Texas and Mexico. She said she tried to get him onto her craft but couldn't and fled to safety.

One Mexican authority questioned the details of the shooting that she provided and noted that there was no evidence of a crime, including David Hartley's body or his Jet Ski. Tiffany Hartley has denied any involvement in her husband's death or disappearance.

Sponsored Links Despite the latest report, Tiffany Hartley, 29, said she didn't think the focus will return to her.

"I think everyone's on my side, and they do believe David is out there and that the pirates did shoot him," she said on NBC's "Today" show.

She has heard the conflicting reports about suspects but has not been told anything official.

"This is very frustrating," she said on "Today." "At one moment we do have suspects, at another moment we don't. Either way, I hope that they do find somebody who can lead us to where David is."

Her mother-in-law, Pam Hartley, is still standing behind her. "I support her 100 percent," she said on "Today."

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/me ... e/19668883
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 10-08-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Crews Continue Search for Body in Falcon Lake

Last Update: 1:39 pm

FALCON LAKE - Crews are back out on Falcon Lake searching for the body of David Hartley.

Investigators say more than 100 people are searching the lake with three boats, five all terrain vehicles and 53 trucks.

Mexican authorities meanwhile are stepping up their hunt for two brothers wanted for questioning in connection with Hartley’s murder. A document from the state attorney general’s office in Reynosa confirms that Mexican authorities are looking for Juan Pedro and Jose Manuel Saldivar Farias. Authorities say the brothers are already wanted for other crimes in Mexico including murder, kidnapping, armed robbery and arson.

The Zapata County Sheriff hasn’t confirmed anything about the hunt for the two possible suspects.
    ---------------------------------
    VIDEO @

http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Cr ... X5_fQ.cspx
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 10-08-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Wife of American who went missing at lake pleads for help

By the CNN Wire StaffOctober 11, 2010 2:15 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Mexico police are searching for two suspects in the case of a U.S. citizen who disappeared during a sightseeing trip on the U.S.-Mexican border in South Texas, authorities said Monday.

The suspects are two brothers who are "well known to this area," according Luis Homero Uvalle, a spokesman for the state attorney general. He identifed the suspects only as "El 27" and "El 31."

David Michael Hartley went missing September 30. His wife, Tiffany, told authorities her husband was shot and killed during a sightseeing trip on Falcon Lake, which bisects the international border.

On Monday, Tiffany Hartley, along with David Hartley's mother, Pam, appeared on several morning talk shows asking for information that will help investigators find those responsible for David's death and find his body.

"Until we have him back, it's not final," Tiffany Hartley said on NBC's "The Today Show."

Officials in Texas are meeting Monday morning to determine their next step in the investigation, according to Zapata County Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzales.

On Sunday, the U.S. Border Patrol, the Coast Guard, and Parks and Wildlife officials were back on the U.S. side of the lake searching for new evidence in the case, Gonzales said. Mexican authorities were searching their side of the lake as well, he said.

Over the weekend, news reports indicated that two suspects connected to a Mexican drug cartel were linked to Hartley's disappearance, but Agent Antonio Garcia of the ministerial police said there is "no truth" to the report."

Authorities from both nations are conducting separate searches and are coordinating and holding regular meetings, State Department spokeswoman Virginia Staab said. But because the disappearance happened on the Mexican side of the border, the United States cannot prosecute or make arrests in the case, the sheriff said.

Tiffany Hartley told NBC that the reports were frustrating, but she said that "either way, I hope that they do find somebody who can lead us to where David is. Ultimately, that's all we want."

Hartley was on several CNN shows Thursday recounting what happened on Falcon Lake. She also talked about her feelings about people doubting her account of the alleged attack.

Video: Search for missing boater Hartley said on HLN's "Issues with Jane Velez-Mitchell' that "I know what I know."

"It's hard being judged and thought of that I might have done something to him," she said.

But she added, "As long as I know the truth, God knows the truth. And other than that, it almost doesn't really matter to me, because I know what happened that day."

Falcon Lake is on the Rio Grande in Zapata and Starr counties in South Texas. The U.S.-Mexican border runs through the middle of the lake.

Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, says 60 Mexican personnel, three boats and a helicopter have taken part in the search.

Despite the dangers on the Mexican side of the lake, Texas officials on Thursday said that the U.S. side of the body of water remains safe.

"It's is just as safe now as any other time. However, there is a threat," said Rep. Ruben Hinojosa D-Texas.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/11/tex ... gletoolbar
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 10-08-2012 at 01:20 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

These guys probally aren't the killers I don't see how 2 people can drive 3 boats these guys are wanted for something else and instead of going after the cartels and really trying for change there going to parade these sorry sob's for us this a sorry attempt to apease the american people

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast