Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Texas Business Groups: Don't Crack Down on Illegals

Texas Business Groups Implore: Don't Crack Down on Illegal Immigrants

Warn that fruit and vegetable producers could leave the country if work force blocked
    By Jim Forsyth
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011

As the new Congress begins its session, and the Texas Legislature is about to be gaveled into session, Texas business groups are appealing to state and federal representatives not to crack down on illegal immigration, 1200 WOAI news reports.

"These folks don't realize just how difficult it is to fill these jobs with the domestic workers," Ray Prewitt, the President of the Texas Citrus Mutual, which represents fruit growers, and the Executive Vice President of the Texas Vegetable Association, which represents vegetable growers, told 1200 WOAI news.

Prewitt says even in the midst of a deep recession, it is impossible for citrus and vegetable growers to find legal and documented workers to harvest the crops. He candidly estimated that 70% of Texas citrus and vegetable workers are undocumented.

"I think there is an awful lot of misconceptions that, gee, agriculture is not paying a high enough wage, and if they just paid a little bit more, they could get the workers," Prewitt said. "That is just not the case at all."

Several Republicans in the Texas legislature has vowed to push measures which would clamp down on the border and would take steps to push undocumented people out of Texas. Some would deny benefits to illegals, one would label receipt of government benefits as 'employment,' which would require anybody receiving Aid to Dependent Children, food stamps, and other state welfare programs to show a federal I-9 form, which is required of everybody who is employed in the United States.

Prewitt says any 'enforcement only' measure would include special provisions for vital agriculture workers to remain in the country.

"The enforcement only thing will do great damage to the produce industry in Texas, and in the Rio Grande Valley," Prewitt said.

Prewitt warned that if illegal immigration is stopped, growers who currently produce fruit and vegetables in the U.S. may very well decide to go where the workers are, and move their operations to Mexico. He says that would be devastating for the Texas and the U.S. economies, and from a national security standpoint, would make the U.S. dependant on foreign countries for our food, much like we are currently dependant for our oil.

"Those workers are going to harvest our fruits and vegetables," Prewitt said. "The only question is...are they going to harvest them here, or are they going to harvest them in Mexico."

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news/se ... le=8003484

Def
    If the race card is the only card in your hand, you're not playing with a full deck.

ZERO SYMPATHY

I have ZERO Sympathy for these businesses. As a matter of fact I hold them directly responsible for the Illegal Immigration problem and for some, if not all, of the crime committed against American citizens, from rapes, to robberies, to murders...

If you cant operate within our laws than by all means "Get the hell out" and go to Mexico...Someone else will grow and pick the produce...

These are the "crooks" crying wolf -- Americans KNOW YOU SHAMSTERS ARE DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS INVASION BECAUSE OF YOUR DISGUSTING GREED FOR CHEAP LABOR AND GREATER PROFITS!!!!! GET OUT AND GO TO WHATEVER COUNTRY YOU CHOSE TO GROW YOUR PRODUCE!!!!!!! AMERICANS ARE TAKING THIS COUNTRY BACK FROM CORRUPT BUSINESS AND WE'LL ESTABLISH OUR OWN PRODUCE COMPANIES WITH AMERICAN WORKERS ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

The correct solution is to enforce our laws, but also insure these businesses have seasonal workers. I doubt very many Americans do this work. (I could be wrong.) These employers must not be given a "pass" to hire anyone.

I suspect these organizations lobby the state and federal legislatures to oppose E-Verify and other enforcement laws. Somehow we need to combat this.

If programs for the hiring of seasonal workers aren't working, then modify them, but don't permit the hiring of illegals.

Pls contact the Tx Citrus Mutual Assc. via phone, email, letter or facebook and ask them to obey our immigration laws and hire legal workers, if they want us to purchase their goods.

http://www.valleyag.org/

http://www.valleyag.org/about_us.html (link to email page)

(TCM also has a facebook page)
    TEXAS CITRUS MUTUAL
    TEXAS VEGETABLE ASSOCIATION
    VALLEY AG INSURANCE
    901 Business Park Drive
    Mission, Texas 78572

(p) 956.584.1772
    (f) 956.584.3307

It's the business lobby, that is our greatest or largest opponet. If illegals couldn't get a job, they would "self deport".

Ray Prewitt needs to be investigated to see if he complies with minimum wage laws, tax laws, compensation insurance payments, etc. Skirt the law and you pay.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There is gonna be a major showdown in Austin on Monday...must not get Bush family appointee-Strauss for SPEAKER!

they are going to have your job . & free welfar . you name it they will get it . you are the fool that why we American are fighting we want our country Back & Our job back & Not citizen ship to baby .
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Texas Business Groups: Don't Crack Down on Illegals

Quote Originally Posted by defaoite62
    Texas Business Groups Implore: Don't Crack Down on Illegal Immigrants

Prewitt warned that if illegal immigration is stopped, growers who currently produce fruit and vegetables in the U.S. may very well decide to go where the workers are, and move their operations to Mexico.
    Well, if they won't hire people who are legally entititled to do that work, let them go to Mexico and pay the drug cartels for the privilege of doing business in that People's Paradise.

BTW when Cesar Chavez was organizing ag workers, I read that if he got everything he wanted, the price of a large can of tomato juice would have increased by 5 cents. How much is it worth to keep Americans eomployed?

I thnk it was Eisenhower who had to crack on this same Texas crowd.
    ************************************************** **************************
    Americans first in ths magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade

My email:

I read a news article where a rep. of yr organization opposed enforcement of our immigration laws or stricter laws, because of the difficulty of growers to find "legal" workers.

I urge you to obey our immigration laws and use "legal" employees. If this fails your growers, the solution is a better program or process for the hiring of seasonal workers, not opposition to immigration enforcement. If your growers can't operate legally, then they might as well move to Mexico.

I search out "home grown" fruits and vegetables. I like to purchase items from TX growers. However, if you oppose immigration enforcement or insist on hiring illegal workers, I might as well purchase "out of state" or imported fruits and vegetables.

I urge the members of your organization to support legal methods and legal, seasonal workers, w/o opposition to stricter immigration enforcement. A major step toward enforcement is E-Verify legislation.

These businesses create the corruption by knowingly hire illegals with false papers and drivers licenses. They need to be arrested and thrown in jail for their crimes.

They have had pickers years before and they had work visas. Why is it now these people refuse to obey the laws? They want to jump ahead of the line and DEMAND citizenship or they are in RECONQUISTA. Either way obey the laws and do it legally or get the hell out.

These Hispanics were not the only ones that have been migrant workers here in America over these years. But they sure seem to be the only ones that do it illegally and then make demands. I say Hispanic because that is the majority of them as of now. And then only about 3% of them actually work in the fields since many have turned to better and higher paying jobs in service,manufacturing,and construction.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast