Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Texas Candidates speak about immigration concerns

http://www.elpasotimes.com/election/ci_4455181

Four-way forum goes rapid-fire
    Candidates speak about immigration concerns
    By Brandi Grissom / Austin Bureau
    Article Launched:10/07/2006 12:00:00 AM MDT
    Texas Gov. Rick Perry, second from right, addressed a debate panel as gubernatorial candidates Chris Bell, from left, Kinky Friedman and Carole Keeton Strayhorn, right, listened during Friday's televised debate in Dallas. (Smiley N. Pool / AP)DALLAS -- Independent candidate Kinky Friedman on Friday said he would declare martial law on the border to allow National Guard troops to enforce immigration laws.

"Of course, whatever it takes," Friedman said during the one and only gubernatorial debate planned before the Nov. 7 election. "I want 10,000 National Guardsmen down there now."

GOP Gov. Rick Perry, Demo crat Chris Bell and independent candidates Friedman and Carole Keeton Strayhorn participated in the debate in which questions about immigration and border security led off a litany of inquiries about issues including transportation, education and ethics.

Perry emphasized border security initiatives already under way and said he would ask legislators for $100 million more for border security next year.

Bell said he would encourage the federal government to enforce current immigration laws and crack down on employers who hire undocumented workers.

"I think the debate needs to be logical and sensible," Bell said.

Strayhorn said she would put the Texas Rangers in charge of state security.
    "We're going to have a fair, legal immigration program, but first, though, I'm going to take stopping illegal immigration out of the political arena and put it in the law enforcement arena," she said.

Friedman has called for 10,000 troops on the border and said he wants them armed to stop illegal immigration. Asked whether he would declare martial law in border cities to give troops law enforcement authority, he said yes.

Asked later whether it would be safe to allow National Guard troops who are not trained in immigration laws to enforce them, Friedman repeated, "I'll do whatever it takes to protect that border."

All the candidates but Friedman declared themselves victors in the rapid-paced debate. Friedman appeared nervous and was visibly irritated by questions about his recent racially charged remarks.

"I've never done a debate like this before, and I was a human being, a little bit nervous about doing it," he said.

Democrat-turned-Republican-turned-independent candidate Strayhorn had her own moment of trouble during the debate. She could not name the president-elect of Mexico.

Felipe Calderon is Mexico's president-elect.

"I just blanked on that," she said after the debate.

Perry sent reporters who attended the debate into a fury when he refused to take questions afterward. The other three candidates took questions from reporters who were not on the debate panel after the event.

Perry sent a spokesman and a Houston state senator, who quickly left after telling clearly angry reporters the governor had said all he had to say during the hourlong debate.

Some El Pasoans who saw the debate had differing responses to the candidates' performances.

Mark Smith, a lobbyist for Hunt Building, said he thought Perry performed best in the debate.

"Perry's leading, he's got the vision, he's got the experience and he knows exactly where he wants to go with the state of Texas," Smith said.

Emily Loomis, who works for Kemp Smith in El Paso, said she thought Friedman's suggestion of declaring martial law on the border was "ludicrous."

Vanessa Johnson, editor of the online journal Newspaper Tree, was incredulous that Strayhorn could not name the Mexican president-elect.

"That's ridiculous," she said.

El Paso County Democratic Party Chairman Danny Anchondo said he was impressed with Bell's responses.

"I think Chris Bell definitely came off a lot smoother and a lot cooler," Anchondo said.

Early voting in the Nov. 7 election will begin Oct. 23.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Am I seeing things or did this author start calling Kinky a She???

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Am I seeing things or did this author start calling Kinky a She???

W
    Too funny, yes, I noticed that too. Big oops! Kinky won't like that.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

http://www.wfaa.com/

TX OU game knocked the gov. candidates down the list. Talk about a wacky sandwich. Gov. debate following TX/OU game and flanked by blow up doll art in downtown Dallas window.

Talk about Kinky. Look at the video selection next to the gov. debate at above link.

Full Debate Video
    http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/Video ... &catId=599

MoJo's Dallas Dolls
    http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/Video ... &catId=348

I'm sorry, but Rick Perry did not win that debate. I don't care what Cal Jillson, political annalist for WFAA says. Rick Perry didn't shoot himself in the foot but he did a little side step. Almost every thing out of his mouth was, I just talked about that last week, next term I will... Too Late Rick. Your just too slow. You've had 6 years! My favorite was when the reporter was pinning him to the wall on the TTC and he said all the documents have been released and no one has brought anything to his attention. Yea! Court ordered released a few days ago and no one has finished analyzing them to stick it to you Perry.

Chris Bell looked real good, I just don't like what he is saying and he was also dodging questions. I like what Kinky is saying. Strayhorn was a broken record. I kept hearing her commercial script play. Everyone but Kinky dodged the questions and flipped over and tried to sell something else. Strayhorn has the teachers but Perry and Bell were really talking up the education and teacher pay. Oh they were trying to selling themselves to the teachers.

The online poll is showing Kinky is winning with 61%.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Kinky is ahead? Guess people are fed up with the every day politician.
    I don't know much about Kinky but did see him on some kind of tv show months ago. Was quite a character.
    The doll window is weird.

Texas has a history of electing obsurd people to govern our state. I'm not counting Kinky out. You hear people down here say, I'm voting for Kinky, while they chuckle and they follow that with who else is there. Well, they are right and some will get to the polls and cast a "what the heck" vote for Kinky. The college kids are in the Kinky camp. That dark horse just might win.

Who won the gubernatorial debate?

Chris Bell 17.72% 45 votes
    Kinky Friedman 66.93% 170 votes
    Rick Perry 6.69% 17 votes
    Carole Keeton Strayhorn 3.94% 10 votes
    There was no winner 4.72% 12 votes
    254 Total Votes

Dixie

However, they appeared to be the superior candidates.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I watched that debate. I can't imagine that Rick Perry will win, who still defends the TTC. He came off as condescending and villianous (is that a word?)

Mrs. Strayhorn would be a good candidate if she didn't blatantly lie about everything. She has been "busted" over and over this last week, and then she flat out lies about it.
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ht=#228218

Chris Bell was impressive, but that was the first I've heard of him. I have no idea what his immigration policy is.

I thought Kinky did ok for a non-politician type. His recent comments were inappropriate but really he was just stating the truth. He needs to have some sort of composure.

I'm leaning towards Kinky at this point, I haven't seen anything anywhere about him granting amnesty. So far he's the least worst IMO.
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

"Of course, whatever it takes," Friedman said during the one and only gubernatorial debate planned before the Nov. 7 election. "I want 10,000 National Guardsmen down there now."
    Friedman has called for 10,000 troops on the border and said he wants them armed to stop illegal immigration. Asked whether he would declare martial law in border cities to give troops law enforcement authority, he said yes.

Asked later whether it would be safe to allow National Guard troops who are not trained in immigration laws to enforce them, Friedman repeated, "I'll do whatever it takes to protect that border."
    I don't have a vote in TX but Kinky's got me on his securing the border stance. What about it Mr Perry? Will you too do whatever it takes to protect our borders? Maybe you don't have time right now in part because the TTC is such a high priority of yours?

I have no idea what his immigration policy is.
    TC, I don't know either but I'd bet based on his answers which follow that Mr Bell is for "letting the federal government handle it" IOW doing nothing and is also for amnesty.

Bell said he would encourage the federal government to enforce current immigration laws and crack down on employers who hire undocumented workers.

"I think the debate needs to be logical and sensible," Bell said.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by loservillelabor
    However, they appeared to be the superior candidates.
    I know, who was jerking the strings on those politicians? That one guy was confused if they were anatomically correct or not. I've seen stranger art projects.

Chris Bell is the Democrat and he said something about not being able to move out 11/12 million people because we couldn't evacuate New Orleans. What! Wait just a minute. Katrina was an emergency and they waited until the last minute to leave! Give the illegals a time frame and tell them to go and it doesn't have to be done in 3 days. Get real Bell. Oh and Bell used the C word - Comprehensive!

Perry was an arrogant ass in his closing statement. He completely dismissed Strayhorn and Kinky as opponents. He spoke like Bell was his only opposition. How Rude!

Dixie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast