Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

They sought help, but got deported

By Judy Gibbs Robinson
    The Oklahoman

An Oklahoma City woman who earns her living helping people file immigration applications is accused of causing them to be deported instead.

Two couples who filed lawsuits against Isabel Pairazaman are just the tip of the iceberg, one Oklahoma City immigration lawyer says.

“I cannot count the number of people I have seen and continue to see whose lives were ruined by Ms. Pairazaman,” Robert Brown wrote in a July 27 letter to the editor of Hola Oklahoma magazine. “I believe she has been directly responsible for the deportation of more aliens than any three official immigration officers,” he wrote.

The Pairazaman case highlights the vulnerability of illegal immigrants to those who would defraud them, and it points out holes in Oklahoma law that limit what prosecutors can do to stop the abuse, lawyers say.

“These people are in dire need of assistance. They’re grasping at straws. They’re very vulnerable,” said Dan Murdoch, general counsel for the Oklahoma Bar Association, which recently appointed a committee to investigate the unauthorized practice of law in Oklahoma.

They sought a ‘green card’
    The lawsuits, filed in May in Oklahoma County District Court, claim Pairazaman took money to file applications for immigration benefits to which her clients were not entitled. In both cases, the benefit sought was a so-called “green card,” the document that identifies someone as a legal permanent resident.

Instead of granting Sergio Rios and Salvador De Loera permission to stay in the United States, immigration officials deported them to Mexico when they showed up for scheduled in- terviews on their applications, according to the lawsuits.

“My husband got called inside. From that time, I never see him again” in the United States, said Gladis Rios, a U.S. citizen. She works two jobs to support their three daughters, ages 6, 3 and 7 months.

“The children are experiencing great difficulty in dealing with the breakup of the family,” said T. Douglas Stump, the lawyer representing the Rioses and Salvador and Nancy De Loera, who have two children.

The lawsuits accuse Pairazaman of breach of contract, fraud and negligence, and seek at least $10,000 in damages.

Pairazaman, who does business under the name “Hispanic Helpline,” denied all allegations in responses filed June 26. Her lawyer, Michael Rubenstein, said clients came to Pairazaman already knowing what they wanted to accomplish and she helped them fill out the forms.

“She’s not in a position to say what someone’s entitled to,” Rubenstein said. “She’s not a lawyer, and she didn’t claim to be a lawyer.”

A friend, Carlos Ortiz, defended Pairazaman in an article in the first issue of his magazine, Hola Oklahoma, July 19.

The article, written in Spanish, said a group — including local attorneys — made up rumors ruin her reputation.

“Isabel is a good person and has never and never will hurt and is now a victim,” Ortiz said in his magazine. In a phone interview, Ortiz stood by that statement, citing his long friendship with Pairazaman. But he said it will be up to a court to determine her culpability in the lawsuits.

No criminal charges have been filed against Pairazaman, said Debbie Forshee, spokesman for District Attorney Wes Lane. She said the case is still under investigation.

Several obstacles prevent prosecutors from filing charges in such cases, including a language barrier when victims speak only Spanish and the reluctance of illegal immigrants to come forward.

“They are reluctant if they can even do it — and they may not know they can,” the bar association’s Murdoch said. Those already deported cannot come forward, he added.

Even if immigrants come forward with fraud complaints, the charges prosecutors can file are limited. In Oklahoma, it is illegal but not criminal to practice law without a license, said John Williams, director of the bar association. That means the only way to make a person stop is to get a court injunction, a civil proceeding.

Prosecutors could file a charge of obtaining money under false pretenses, but Williams said that charge is usually a misdemeanor.

Brown is representing another of Pairazaman’s former clients who answered a knock at her door and found immigration officers there.

“They pulled her out of the home and stuck her on a bus because she had an outstanding deportation order she didn’t even know about,” Brown said.

Left behind were three children in day care and a husband who did not know what had happened to her, he said.

Brown was able to get an emergency order to reopen her case on grounds she had not been notified of the order and therefore could not have complied with it. She was taken off the Mexico-bound bus near Dallas and is back here, he said.

When filling out immigration applications, Pairazaman typically uses her own address, so deportation orders come to her, Brown said.

“Of course, none of this information is typically communicated by Ms. Pairazaman to the clients,” he said.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2831257
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

“These people are in dire need of assistance. They’re grasping at straws. They’re very vulnerable,”
    Of course they are in dire need of assistance, they are finally afraid of being caught in the country illegaly!!!

They pulled her out of the home and stuck her on a bus because she had an outstanding deportation order she didn’t even know about,” Brown said.
    Anyone else believe she didn't know about her deportation order? I didn't think so.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

“I cannot count the number of people I have seen and continue to see whose lives were ruined by Ms. Pairazaman,” Robert Brown wrote in a July 27 letter to the editor of Hola Oklahoma magazine. “I believe she has been directly responsible for the deportation of more aliens than any three official immigration officers,” he wrote.
    She should run for president!!!
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: They sought help, but got deported

It would be nice if we could strip Isabel Pairazaman of her citizenship and deport her to Mexico.
    <div>&ldquo;No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.* You win the war, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country&rdquo;</div>
    <div>--General George Patton, Jr.</div>

MW
    It would be nice if we could strip Isabel Pairazaman of her citizenship and deport her to Mexico.
    Why is that marineinspector? From what I gather, she hasn't officially been charged with anything yet. I'll wait for all the facts before I make a judgement, but at a minimum (from what we know now) she is guilty of aiding and abetting illegal aliens.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Why is that marineinspector? From what I gather, she hasn't officially been charged with anything yet. I'll wait for all the facts before I make a judgement, but at a minimum (from what we know now) she is guilty of aiding and abetting illegal aliens.
    If she did what they say, she's guilty of a few crimes. Maybe it's just me, but I think those folks that exploit illegals are worst then the illegals themselves.
    <div>&ldquo;No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.* You win the war, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country&rdquo;</div>
    <div>--General George Patton, Jr.</div>

The Pairazaman case highlights the vulnerability of illegal immigrants to those who would defraud them, and it points out holes in Oklahoma law that limit what prosecutors can do to stop the abuse, lawyers say.

I think this is rich. The same folks who have no regard or respect for our law are now clamoring for the law to protect them. I say tough s**t.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

They should be deported they are in this country illegally. With regards to that woman who assisted them, she should be disbarred for breaking the law. Why did they let that illegal alien woman off the bus she has no rights in this country and did have a valid deportation order, there is no reason for a second discussion on this issue. She knew she had a deportation order and she should be deported immediately.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn