Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thousands flood Dallas streets

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... ead68.html

Thousands flood Dallas streets
    06:03 PM CDT on Sunday, April 9, 2006
    WFAA-TV Staff

'They're Coming to America'
    played as the front line of
    the march reached Dallas City Hall.

Immigrants and supporters flooded the streets of downtown Dallas Sunday afternoon for the immigration rally many called the Great Awakening.

People began lining up as early as 7:00 a.m. in the front of the Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin Guadalupe waving American flags, dressed in white as a sign of peace and ready to send a message.

As the throng of people grew larger, police opened the gates early around 12:52 p.m. to make way for more people. The beginning of the march set off a parade of protestors that snaked around streets and buildings through downtown chanting "Yes, we can!" in Spanish and "USA."

The sea of what police estimated was up to 500,000 people began marching from the cathedral, down Ross Avenue to Griffith Street and ended at City Hall.

An hour after the march began, protestors at the front of the line were greeted to the sounds of Neil Diamond's "They're Coming to America" as they reached their final destination. But while people were already dancing to Latino music at the steps of City Hall, many people in the back of the lines still hadn't taken a step.

"Dallas, Fort Worth, metroplex, you came through," said Domingo Garcia, the march organizer, as people poured in to watch speakers.

Two hours after the march began, the stream of protestors were all gathered.

"Today the Latino community has said enough is enough," said Hector Flores, LULAC, as he spoke to the crowd. "We're going to take a stand for fairness and justice and we will not back down."

Speakers said America was a nation built by immigrants and built with their sweat, which they continue to do today.

"We are building America and the concretes, and the buildings, and the hotels, and the restaurants," Garcia said.

Along with the protestors, police officers hovered overhead in helicopters and patrolled the streets on horses and cars.

While the crowd appeared to be in good spirits during the march, there were a few opposing protestors present that resulted in a few tense moments..

Police brought out their riot gear and pepperball guns when a group of counter demonstrators taunted the crowd and protestors spoke back and threw water bottles. The SWAT team was also brought in and barricaded the area.

A large law enforcement presence was at the rally with about 550 Dallas police officers and 200 sheriff's deputies present. Officers stood in between those marching and the opponents of the rally that held signs that read "No amnesty."

George P. Bush, the nephew of President George W. Bush, was among several scheduled to speak at the rally.

Earlier participants started the day at the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe for the traditional Palm Sunday mass.

Palm Sunday is the first day of Holy Week in the Catholic church, and some protesters said it is significant because it represents the journey Jesus Christ made before his death and resurrection.

"It means a lot because I'm an immigrant," said Carmine Palma, who planned to take part in the protest. "Now they're trying to make us criminals, so that's not fair."

Thousands also gathered wearing white in Fort Worth and their message was the same.

Fort Worth has had large rallies before, including one in 1993 when thousands filled Main Street during a civil rights rally organized by a North Texas radio station. But Sunday's march will probably go down as the largest in the city's history.

"My father was born in Mexico," said protestor Mary Gonzales. "He came here. He became a citizen and joined the army. He fought in the war. And I am proud to have become an American citizen and I want everyone to be able to have the right to do that."

Another protestor also talked about a loved one who fought for America.

"This flag was flown in Iraq while my husband was there on his second tour," said a protestor caring an American flag. "His family came here as illegal immigrants and he fights for our country and fights for his parents also."

The city of Dallas was gearing up for more than 100,000 protesters.

The march was scheduled to begin at Cathedral Guadalupe at 1 p.m., culminating in a rally at City Hall Plaza.

Organizers will lead the crowd down Ross Ave. to Griffin Street, then on Commerce Street and down Ervay Street to City Hall.

"I think the city is prepared," Dallas Mayor Laura Miller said on Friday. "The city manager, the city attorney and the police chief have been having non-stop meetings to be ready for as many as 200,000 people on Sunday."

Dallas Area Rapid Transit said rally organizers had arranged for shuttle bus service from three locations:

• Gate 13 at Fair Park, near the Smirnoff Music Centre

• Townview Center school, 1201 East 8th Street in Oak Cliff

• Stemmons Towers, on Stemmons Freeway near Motor Street

Dallas police said they had no plans to stop traffic on downtown streets during the event, but once the march begins, officers on horseback, motorcycle and on foot will close intersections as protesters approach.

Police asked anyone planning to attend the rally to leave home early and to have patience

WHAT

George P. Bush, the nephew of President George W. Bush, was among several scheduled to speak at the rally.
    Well if we had any doubt of which way the wind was blowing, now we know..
    Just remember, his mom is Mexican.
    "We have room for but one flag, the American flag" - Theodore Roosevelt

Gee dragon5 was there and the bottle throwing incident didn't appear to be egged on by them. Don't ya just love the twists they put on things? When you look at the pictures of the protests the only anger and hatred I see are in their eyes. The only one making threats is them. Guess they figure if they keep feeding us this line of doo-doo we'll eventually beleive it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gee dragon5 was there and the bottle throwing incident didn't appear to be egged on by them. Don't ya just love the twists they put on things? When you look at the pictures of the protests the only anger and hatred I see are in their eyes. The only one making threats is them. Guess they figure if they keep feeding us this line of doo-doo we'll eventually beleive it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

sorry......computer running slow.

Earlier participants started the day at the Cathedral Santuario de Guadalupe for the traditional Palm Sunday mass.

Palm Sunday is the first day of Holy Week in the Catholic church, and some protesters said it is significant because it represents the journey Jesus Christ made before his death and resurrection.

"It means a lot because I'm an immigrant," said Carmine Palma, who planned to take part in the protest. "Now they're trying to make us criminals, so that's not fair."
    What does Palm Sunday have to do with a protest???? I celebrated Palm Sunday today at my church, but it has NOTHING to do with their issues!

Yes we can!

Yes we can be lawbreakers!
    Yes we can take jobs away from Citizens!
    Yes we can be ignorant of the history of this country!
    Yes we can be illegal!

We just want to work here illegally and sap the US dry!

Yes we can!

Quote Originally Posted by ProudUsCitizen

What does Palm Sunday have to do with a protest???? I celebrated Palm Sunday today at my church, but it has NOTHING to do with their issues!
    It seems they're trying to equate it with their "death and resurrection." Their "coming out of the shadows"

Insurrection would be a better word to describe their actions.

insurrection
    (noun)
    ---- rebellion, insurrection, revolt, rising, uprising

organized opposition to authority; a conflict in which one faction tries to wrest control from another

Police brought out their riot gear and pepperball guns when a group of counter demonstrators taunted the crowd and protestors spoke back and threw water bottles. The SWAT team was also brought in and barricaded the area.
    I am calling wfaa right now. this is b.s. and they know it.