Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Thursday, February 23, 2006 (pics)

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/ne ... 013650.php

COSTA MESA – Mayor Allan Mansoor was cast into the national media when he spearheaded Costa Mesa's new plan to enforce immigration law - a role usually left to the federal government.

The city is seeking a formal relationship with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement so police can launch the deportation process on any undocumented person arrested on suspicion of a serious felony. Mansoor's original proposal would have had officers check the legal status of any person they came across in regular duties. The council approved the scaled-down plan in December; it will take six to seven months to finalize and put into action. Here's an interview with the first-term city councilman and mayor.

Q. What prompted you to push for increased enforcement of immigration law?

A.There was a need for it. The public said it was important. Residents want action to be taken. As an elected official, I took an oath to uphold the law.

Q. Why do you personally think the city should enforce immigration law?

A. It's the right thing to do. This is about fairness and equal application of the law. How is it fair that some people wait years to come here legally and some just do it illegally? There has to be a level playing field. My parents came legally; that's the right way to do it. I have complete respect for those who come here legally, but we are a nation of laws.

Q. The policy you voted for was dramatically scaled down from the one you proposed. Did you change your mind or did you compromise?

A. I compromised to get this passed because I believe our law enforcers need the tools to do their jobs. But I still believe we need a strong approach to illegal immigration. If there is a need for more workers in the United States, then let's increase the amount of people who come here legally.

Q. How have Costa Mesa voters responded to the policy?

A. Based on letters, emails, and phone calls, they are predominantly in favor of it. That goes across party lines – even Democrats like it.

Q. Won't Sheriff Mike Carona's plan take care of the problem, since legal status will be checked in the county jail?

A. The point is that it's not being done The sheriff has not implemented his plan. Even if he does move forward with it, we still need to give our own officers the tools they need. (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement) is not always available; they have limited resources. We are the ones who have to deal with criminals on a repeat basis, even if they are here illegally. People need to wake up to the fact that illegal immigrants who commit crimes are (sometimes) released back into our society after serving their jail time.

Q. What do you say to allegations of racism?

A. People resort to name calling when they don't have a legitimate argument to make. This is not about race. This policy will apply equally to someone from Europe, Asia, the Middle East or South America It's unfortunate people throw race into everything.

Q. What do you say to those who oppose the city's plan?

A.When people look at the facts of what this policy does, they are supportive. But when people listen to false information and name calling, that's when they have a problem with it. Most who oppose our policy want zero enforcement. They need to bring something to the table that shows respect for the law.

Q. Do you think you should have compromised more to garner a unanimous vote on the council?

A. We get a lot of 3-2 votes on the council. That doesn't change the fact that we need to enforce our laws.

Q. Your critics - even the ones who support tougher immigration enforcement - feel you pushed this policy through too quickly, without enough discussion with the community. Your response?

A. I don't think I did it too quickly. To me, it was very clear what needed to be done. The sheriff has been working with the community on his similar plan for two years, and some people still oppose it.

Q. Would you have done anything different if you had to do it over again?

A. No. I have been straightforward with this issue. Why would I regret taking a stand to uphold the law? This should have been done a long time ago.

Q. Do you have any plans to run for higher office?

A. No, not at this time.

CONTACT US: (714) 445-6689 or bmartinez@ocregister.com

Yes

Great pics!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God