Sunday, July 12, 2015 07:16 PM

By: Greg Richter

Donald Trump on Sunday blasted "corrupt Mexican officials" for letting a notorious drug kingpin escape from a maximum security prison.

Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman escaped the prison by riding a motorcycle through a mile-long tunnel that was connected to the shower area of Guzman's cell. It is his second escape, and prison employees are being questioned.

Trump noted that the last time Guzman escaped he was free for 13 years.

"He has been selling drugs in the U.S. big-time – a major kingpin," he said in a statement sent to the media.

"He is possibly in the U.S. and his drugs and drug dealers freely cross into the United States through our pathetic border," Trump said. "This is just one example of the many instances of Mexico taking advantage of the United States. They take our country's money but leave the tremendous crime, much of which is a result of the rampant drug trafficking."

Trump sparked anger from the left and from some of his fellow Republicans when he said at his campaign announcement on June 16 that Mexico is sending drug dealers, rapist and killers across the porous border with the United States.

The comment lost him several business deals, but he has been surging in the polls, leading some and in a dead heat in others with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, who has been among those of his rivals who have condemned his comments.

"I respect Mexico," Trump said in his statement Sunday. "They can't help it if our politicians are so incompetent that things like this can continually take place."

If elected president, Trump said, "I will stop this and all other countries from abusing OUR country. I will Make America Great Again – and fast!!"

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/tru.../12/id/654633/