Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Trump says he is considering using emergency powers to build wall

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member 6 Million Dollar Man's Avatar

Trump says he is considering using emergency powers to build wall

Trump says he is considering using emergency powers to build wall

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump said Friday that he is considering using emergency powers which would allow him to use military funding to build a wall on the US-Mexico border, saying "I can do it if I want."

"We can call a national emergency because of the security ... I haven't done it. I may do it but we can call a national emergency and build it very quickly," he said during remarks in the White House Rose Garden.

Trump has repeatedly talked about declaring a national emergency in recent months but hasn't followed through yet, allowing the government to shut down over funding the wall rather than declaring one.

On Friday, he seemed to indicate that he would prefer to secure the funding through Congress.
    "If we can do it through the negotiating process, we're giving that a shot," he said.

However, Trump also said he believes he doesn't need congressional approval to build the wall.

"Absolutely," Trump replied. "We can call a national emergency. I haven't done it. I may do it. I may do it. We can call a national emergency and build it very quickly. It's another way of doing it."

Asked if that was a threat to Democrats, Trump said: "I never threaten anybody, but I am allowed to do it -- call a national emergency."
    "If we can do it through the negotiating process, we're giving that a shot," he said.

In December, defense officials from the Homeland Defense section of the Pentagon visited the White House for a meeting to discuss the possibility, three US officials have told CNN.

The meeting, which included officials from the Department of Homeland Security, focused on options that would allow Trump to build the border wall by tapping into military funding if he was unable to secure the money he wants from Congress.

Two officials said that the Pentagon believes that there is roughly $1-2 billion that could be set aside from the Defense Department budget to fund this effort.

Using this legal authority to construct border barriers was opposed by Democrats in the House and Senate in letters to then Defense Secretary James Mattis.

The officials said that while no formal direction or orders have been given to tap these funds, defense officials believe that the White House will move to direct the Pentagon to act should Congress prove unable to provide the necessary funding.

In December, several Democratic senators sent a letter to then-Defense Secretary James Mattis expressing opposition to the use of military funds for construction of a border barrier.

"We understand that the department is currently examining other authorities for this roughly $450 million project outside of the budget request process, specifically the potential use of 10 U.S.C. 2808 and 10 U.S.C 284," the letter said.

"As you know, outside of a few small locations requiring security measures for weapons of mass destruction shortly after 9/11, 10 U.S.C. 2808 has never been used inside the United States. We urge you in the strongest possible fashion to refrain from considering using this authority or 10 U.S.C. 284 for this potential $450 million border wall project," it added.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/polit...ion/index.html

Just like he was "going" to do an Executive Order to end birthright citizenship.

Just like he was "going" to shut down the WHOLE border!

And he keeps talking about DACA, DACA, DACA! No more DACA, let the Supreme Court terminate it and out they go!

NO MORE FREE PASSES TO ILLEGAL ALIENS.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

There you go. Trump can just use the wall as a "national emergency" to get funds to build it, without the democrats having to approve it. I like this. I wonder if Trump can also use the "national emergency" thing to add the 10,000 extra ICE agents that he promised, as well as making E-Verify mandatory and everything else that we need to secure the border and to deport anyone who doesn't belong in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    Just like he was "going" to do an Executive Order to end birthright citizenship.
    This is different. This is considered a national emergency. I didn't know that he could by-pass congress on anything that's considered a national emergency. This is a big game-changer, and I hope dumb ass Trump takes advantage of it.

I hope he still does that. I really do.

And this way, we get what we want on border security, and the democrats don't get jack s**t in return.

MW

And he keeps talking about DACA, DACA, DACA! No more DACA, let the Supreme Court terminate it and out they go!

NO MORE FREE PASSES TO ILLEGAL ALIENS.
    Yep, he has a tendency to say a lot of thing concerning immigration but follow through is seriously lacking at times.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He must do it. The American people should not be asked to sacrifice anything more or to give anything more. "No" to any type or size amnesty. The concern is focused on those coming here illegally and their children. Why doesn't President Trump stay focused on the lives of the American people, talk about the costs we bear.

President Trump nor most of his cabinet or allies detail the impacts on our communities. The costs in healthcare, incarceration, jobs, lives, crime. There are demographic changes that should not be forced upon us.

We rarely hear anyone go through the costs in each state. People should know that social justice comes at a high price when it is illegal immigration and robbing taxpayers.

Over 700 million dollars a year is spent on illegal immigration in my state. Our republican governor gave us the gift of a gas tax hike while supporting in state tuition for illegal aliens and amnesty. We hear a collective number about the costs but not the nitty gritty facts.

President Trump can secure the border and build the wall. Why negotiate with people who think "Foreigners First." Today, after hearing him say again he has the authority by declaring a national emergency to build a wall, secure the borders, and knowing what he has allowed for the past two years, I question his sincerity.

Allowing the democrat Jared Kushner, Touchback Pence, and the other amnesty team members in his government to barter away with democrats is not very reassuring.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think the only way Trump will get the votes in 2020 is if he does a Trump / Cruz ticket.

Unless we have radical change on that border and they are turned around and massive deportation, I will not vote for Trump again.

Start sending their UAC's BACK! Send the message they cannot dump their children over our border. Send them home to their relatives. What disgusting people to do this to their own children and citizens.
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Million Dollar Man View Post
    There you go. Trump can just use the wall as a "national emergency" to get funds to build it, without the democrats having to approve it. I like this. I wonder if Trump can also use the "national emergency" thing to add the 10,000 extra ICE agents that he promised, as well as making E-Verify mandatory and everything else that we need to secure the border and to deport anyone who doesn't belong in this country.
    Hi 6 Million Dollar Man. Good to see you.

As president and with this invasion by foreign citizens occurring each day, surely there are many things he can do by declaring a "national emergency." I hope we see or hear something from him other than talk of negotiating with those who do not want him to succeed at getting a wall or anything else that addresses illegal immigration.
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think the only way Trump will get the votes in 2020 is if he does a Trump / Cruz ticket.

Unless we have radical change on that border and they are turned around and massive deportation, I will not vote for Trump again.

Start sending their UAC's BACK! Send the message they cannot dump their children over our border. Send them home to their relatives. What disgusting people to do this to their own children and citizens.
    There must be radical change as you write, Beezer. We are going backwards and the numbers keep increasing. No one fears to come illegally. They are coming as quickly as possible. Kirstjen Nielsen announces our border is unsecured today in the Rose Garden. And then she tells foreign citizens how to enter on other occasions.

Why are visa overstays not actively being told to leave? They should be easy to find and identify if working. We keep accumulating those, too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast