Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump ups the ante on immigration, unfazed by criticism and protests

July 10, 2015
    By Kate Linthicum, Richard Winton and Kurtis Lee

Donald Trump brought his Republican presidential campaign to Los Angeles on Friday, unrepentant over his inflammatory comments about Latino immigrants that have drawn national ire and pushback from businesses, celebrities and fellow party members.

In two appearances Friday, Trump drew praise from fellow opponents of illegal immigration and criticism from protesters angered by his comments that Mexican immigrants were drug dealers and rapists.

The silver-haired business mogul seemed unfazed, even predicting he would win the Latino vote.

“When it’s all said and done, I will win the Hispanic vote,” Trump said at his first campaign stop at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. “I will win the Hispanic vote because I’m going to create jobs. I’m going to take them away from China.”

Trump appeared with several opponents of illegal immigration, including those whose family members were killed in accidents and crimes by assailants alleged to be in the country illegally. One of them was Brenda Sparks, who said her son was killed in a traffic collision with an immigrant in the country illegally.

She praised Trump for having “the guts to say what millions are thinking.”

"My taxpayer dollars are paying for all these illegals and their children,” Sparks said. “I’ve lost my child, how much more do I have to give?”

Don Rosenberg, whose son was killed in 2010 by an immigrant from Honduras who came to the country illegally but had been given temporary legal status, said his appearance at the event was not an endorsement of Trump's campaign. But he said he appreciated the candidate putting immigration at the center of the 2016 presidential race.

"I think that what he said he could have articulated better, but the general premise of what he said is true," Rosenberg said. "I’m happy that he brought the subject up because it needs to be talked about. Every crime an immigrant commits is an additional crime. Every crime they commit is a crime they wouldn't have committed otherwise."

Trump drew a decidedly different reaction in Brentwood, where he addressed a group of entertainment industry conservatives at the Luxe Sunset Boulevard Hotel.

Hours before Trump’s arrival, protesters began packing the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Church Lane, holding American flags and “Dump Donald Trump” signs. They yelled anti-Trump chants through megaphones in Spanish and English as some drivers of passing cars honked in support.

By 7 p.m., the crowd had swelled to more than 120. Organizers with the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles brought Trump pinatas stuffed with trash -- symbolizing, they said, the mogul’s incendiary rhetoric.

Hilda Ramirez, a West Los Angeles resident, said Trump should keep his mouth shut. “When you open your mouth, a mess spills out.... You talk nothing but trash. Don't back Donald Trump!" she yelled through a megaphone.

Joshua Gonzalez, a 21-year-old Calabasas resident holding a sign depicting Trump in a pink wig, said he came to the protest to send a message that Californians won't put up with "his out-of-control antics."

He said Trump was hurting the Republican Party, which might otherwise appeal to conservative Latinos who believe in education and hard work.

"Donald Trump creates division among the races in California and across the nation," Gonzalez said. “He is trying to exploit divisions.”

But about 20 feet away, about 40 Trump supporters gathered, many wearing red, white and blue and carrying signs reading, “Trump Tells the Truth.” A man in a megaphone yelled, “Viva Donald Trump!”

At times protesters and supporters got in each other's faces. One man jabbed his “Trump for President” sign at protesters as a woman yelled back, “Racist!” and "Trump isn't welcome here!" Protest organizers and a security officer tried to keep the sides apart.

By 7:55 p.m., the protesters had disbanded -- missing Trump by a few minutes, as he was driven to the hotel entrance in a black SUV with two bodyguards. He was to speak to the Friends of Abe group, founded a decade ago by Hollywood actors including Gary Sinise and Clint Eastwood, which holds monthly gatherings with Republican speakers.

This election cycle the group has hosted several GOP presidential hopefuls such as Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina and Mike Huckabee. The events are private and not publicly advertised.

Even amid criticism from some party leaders and companies, such as NBC Universal and Macy's, that have cut business ties with him, Trump has escalated his anti-immigrant rhetoric since his campaign announcement last month.

In recent days, Trump has focused his criticism on San Francisco's sanctuary policies, under which a Mexican immigrant in the country illegally was released and subsequently charged with murder in a high-profile shooting July 1.

Immigration agents had asked the San Francisco Sheriff's Department to hold Juan Francisco Lopez Sanchez, but the county's policies prohibit law enforcement officers from transferring immigrants to federal authorities without a criminal warrant.

On Friday, Trump repeated his accusation that Mexico is sending “criminals” to the United States and pledged to build a wall along the southern U.S. border to keep them out.

“People came into the country illegally and killed their children,” Trump said, referring to the families who stood alongside him at the Beverly Hills event. “The illegals come in and the illegals kill their children.”

He acknowledged he has become a lightning rod, saying the head of the Republican National Committee called him recently and ask him to “tone it down.”

“I don’t want to tone down important issues,” Trump said. “I’m so proud of myself for bringing this issue to bear, to the forefront.

“I must be doing something right,” he added. “I’m No. 1 in the polls.”

Indeed, several recent polls have showed Trump among the top GOP candidates. This week his campaign announced that an event Saturday in Phoenix with controversial Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio was being moved to a bigger location to accommodate more people.

But not all Republicans have embraced Trump's appearance. U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Arizona) called on the Maricopa County Republican Party not to host Trump.

"Donald Trump's views are coarse, ill-informed and inaccurate, and they are not representative of the Republican Party," Flake said in a statement. "As an elected Republican official, I'm disappointed the county party would host a speaker that so damages the party's image."

Still, some leaders of the local GOP have said they will welcome the real-estate mogul.

"In Maricopa County we believe deeply in Reagan's 11th commandment that 'Thou shall not speak ill of any other Republican,'" the party said in a statement. "It is disappointing when our Republican leaders do not share that same commitment to party unity and teamwork."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...ry.html#page=1
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Such a stupidly ridiculous statement. Do not speak ill of another republican, when the party has spoke ill of Trump from the start.

Trump allowing victim's families to share a stage is powerful with this voter. Again, stupidity by republicans, Trump allowed them 4 weeks to acknowledge victims of illegal aliens, they chose not to but now bitch about someone taking advantage of ignorance? Fifteen republicans had the opportunity to join the parade, they chose not to do that. All decisions have consequences. This voter will never forget that they ignored opportunity. thus exposing themselves to not being supporters of American citizens, but supporters of alien criminals. Breaking immigration law is criminal.

It is true that Trump does not represent republican policy on this issue, two Bush's, Reagan, McCain, Graham. Flake, Huckabee, Priebus, Boehner, McConnell and a world of others have proved that over a course of three decades. It does not mean that one who disagrees with common error is not a loyal American or republican.