Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Trump Won't Alter Status of Current Dreamers

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump Won't Alter Status of Current Dreamers

The Trump administration announced Thursday night it has formally rescinded the 2014 actions creating DAPA and expanding DACA to cover a broader range of people. | Getty

Trump won’t alter status of current Dreamers

Work permits won't be canceled, but 2014 Obama immigration moves that were iced by courts are revoked.

By Josh Gerstein

06/15/2017 11:06 pm

President Donald Trump's administration has issued its most explicit promise to date that so-called Dreamers can keep their permission to work legally in the U.S.
    "No work permits will be terminated prior to their current expiration dates," the Department of Homeland Security said in guidance posted on its website Thursday night.

Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly has said recently that the administration is not seeking to deport those who received quasi-legal status under a policy President Barack Obama adopted in 2012.

However, the new statement from DHS seems to be a forward-looking promise not to take action against those in the program known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or DACA, an initiative for undocumented immigrants who entered the country as children.

The new guidance from DHS came as the Trump administration faced a court deadline Thursday in a still-pending lawsuit that halted Obama's 2014 effort to expand DACA and add similar status for undocumented parents of U.S. citizens and green card holders through a program called Deferred Action for Parents of Americans, or DAPA.

A federal judge in Texas blocked Obama's 2014 moves. The issue went to the Supreme Court, which deadlocked last year, 4-4. The outcome left the preliminary injunction in place, but left open the possibility of further litigation in the district court.

The Trump administration announced Thursday night it has formally rescinded the 2014 actions creating DAPA and expanding DACA to cover a broader range of people.

Trump authorized the revocation Wednesday, according to a White House official.

"POTUS decided to authorize DHS to rescind yesterday during an early evening meeting in the Oval Office," said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

In a statement, the Department of Homeland Security said it was abandoning the 2014 moves "because there is no credible path forward to litigate the currently enjoined policy."

It has always seemed unlikely that the Trump administration would fight to defend Obama's policy, which had been on ice since early 2015.

However, acquiescing in the litigation brought by Texas and 25 other states would put the Justice Department in an awkward position legally.

For example, the Justice Department is arguing in litigation over Trump's travel ban executive order that it is improper for the courts to issue nationwide or global injunctions blocking that policy. Consenting to a permanent, nationwide injunction in the Texas case could undercut that argument.

On Thursday night, the Justice Department again punted on those complex issues, asking U.S. District Court Judge Andrew Hanen to postpone proceedings in the case for another two weeks.

"Secretary Kelly’s June 15, 2017, memorandum has a direct bearing on the proceedings in this case. A stay will promote judicial efficiency by allowing the parties to further confer in light of the memorandum issued earlier today," Justice Department lawyers wrote.

During a confirmation hearing last month, Trump's nominee to run U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services seemed to indicate that the original DACA program would not be disturbed, despite Trump's repeated claims as a candidate that it was illegal and his numerous vows to shut it down.

"I'm aware that both the president and Secretary Kelly have stated publicly and reiterated that the DACA program is to remain in place," the nominee, Francis Cissna, said. "If confirmed, I would see my role to administer that program well, as it stands."

Cissna was approved, 17-2, by the Senate Judiciary Committee Thursday.

One prominent Democrat said he'd extracted a promise not to alter the current protections for so-called Dreamers.

"I'm grateful that President Trump has decided to keep the DACA program in place," Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois said on the Senate floor Thursday. "Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Nominee Francis Cissna have promised me personally and publicly that they will maintain the existing guidelines for the DACA program. I appreciate the commitment and intend to hold them to it.”

Since Trump took office, renewal of expiring DACA permits appears to have continued as normal. More than 17,000 new approvals took place between January and March and more than 107,000 existing DACA recipients had their work permits renewed for an additional two years.

Some immigrant rights advocates welcomed the administration's announcement.

"I...think it shows the strength of the Dreamer movement," said immigration attorney David Leopold "Dreamers can breathe a little easier tonight. It also means the DAPA and DACA+ case will be out of Judge Hanen's hands soon and that's a good thing."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-status-239621

Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-16-2017 at 01:03 AM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I told you all months ago the plan to was "let it expire in June". I notice Politico is reporting there's a 2 week extension for the lawsuit to allow parties to review the MEMO and then hopefully the states will be satisfied with the revocation and the case dismissed.

Last edited by Judy; 06-16-2017 at 12:56 AM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

[QUOTE] During a confirmation hearing last month, Trump's nominee to run U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services seemed to indicate that the original DACA program would not be disturbed, despite Trump's repeated claims as a candidate that it was illegal [/QUOTE]

Promises to Dick Durbin and to others to keep DACA in place, to keep allowing a pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens through this program is a terrible betrayal. He himself called it illegal as the story states, The very least would be to not grant any new applications and to stop renewals.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 06-16-2017 at 01:04 AM.
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

My dear GeorgiaPeach, just wait and see what the future brings. No one seemed to understand what I was talking about all these months when I reported and posted the research on ALIPAC about the program and what I believed to be the plan based on what Sean Spicer had said when asked about DACA during a White House Press Conference which was "the thinking is to let it expire in June".

I strongly suggested that everyone wait until June to see what the President intended to do in June. I posted that the anniversary date fpr DACA was June 15 based on my research I posted on ALIPAC. On June 15, Secretary Kelly has now in coordination with Attorney General Sessions and DOJ revoked the 2014 Obama Orders in full and completely, which are the "2 unconstitutional orders stopped by a Judge" that President Trump promised to end when he was on the campaign trail. He said it over and over, "2 unconstitutional orders stopped by a Judge". He has now done that, without fuss, muss or fanfare.

The lawsuit needs to be dismissed and paperwork filed with the courts for the dismissal within the next two weeks. With the revocation memo, the issues of the lawsuit are now moot so a dismissal should be forthcoming and approved by the court shortly.
    Last edited by Judy; 06-16-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    My dear GeorgiaPeach, just wait and see what the future brings. No one seemed to understand what I was talking about all these months when I reported and posted the research on ALIPAC about the program and what I believed to be the plan based on what Sean Spicer had said when asked about DACA during a White House Press Conference which was "the thinking is to let it expire in June".

I strongly suggested that everyone wait until June to see what the President intended to do in June. I posted that the anniversary date fpr DACA was June 15 based on my research I posted on ALIPAC. On June 15, Secretary Kelly has now in coordination with Attorney General Sessions and DOJ revoked the 2014 Obama Orders in full and completely, which are the "2 unconstitutional orders stopped by a Judge" that President Trump promised to end when he was on the campaign trail. He said it over and over, "2 unconstitutional orders stopped by a Judge". He has now done that, without fuss, muss or fanfare.

The lawsuit needs to be dismissed and paperwork filed with the courts for the dismissal within the next two weeks. With the revocation memo, the issues of the lawsuit are now moot so a dismissal should be forthcoming and approved by the court shortly.
    Trump didn't end DACA and he never intended on allowing the program to expire. The false hope that you having been pushing over the last month regarding a DACA expiration date did not materialize as you predicted. It's now getting to the point that the Trump administration is just flaunting DACA in our face!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Judge Hanen ruled they had to keep DACA 2012 in effect during his injunction to stop DAPA and DACA Expansion. I did the research on this and posted it for you all back in March.

Trump has repealed everything that was part of the DAPA and DACA Expansion lawsuit that was claimed to be unconstitutional that the Judge had stopped clearing the way for the dismissal of the lawsuit and the injunction that the Judge ruled as part of that DACA 2012 would remain in effect.

Trump has done everything he specifically promised to do. There is the third issue of the original DACA 2012 program, which seems to me can't be stopped until the lawsuit is dismissed and Judge Hanen's ruling that it remain in effect through the period of the injunction ends with the end of the injunction with the end of the lawsuit. Based on the news yesterday, the dismissal will occur within 2 weeks.

At that point, DHS is free to end new applications and renewals of DACA 2012 free of the injunction ruling, should it desire to do so, which I hope and believe is Trump's plan. We'll see.

Hi Judy. It is good that the President recognizes that the American people are watching and expecting action on the DACA issue. It is not good to hear praise from Senator Dick Durbin as he celebrates promises from the White House and Homeland Security that DACA illegal aliens are safe. We must remember that Secretary Kelly said that as long as he is in charge, DACA illegal aliens are protected.

We all agree that no new DACA applications should be taken and that the others should be allowed to expire. The democrat party is growing and our opposition should, too.

Advanced Parole should be ended as part of DACA. Easy door to citizenship.

I totally agree about ending this Advanced Parole. I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it the other day. A horrible thing. Why have immigration laws when all they do is establish other laws that over-ride the purpose of the laws to begin with?

It's just nuts what's going on in our country.

MW
    Judge Hanen ruled they had to keep DACA 2012 in effect during his injunction to stop DAPA and DACA Expansion. I did the research on this and posted it for you all back in March.

Trump has repealed everything that was part of the DAPA and DACA Expansion lawsuit that was claimed to be unconstitutional that the Judge had stopped clearing the way for the dismissal of the lawsuit and the injunction that the Judge ruled as part of that DACA 2012 would remain in effect.

Trump has done everything he specifically promised to do. There is the third issue of the original DACA 2012 program, which seems to me can't be stopped until the lawsuit is dismissed and Judge Hanen's ruling that it remain in effect through the period of the injunction ends with the end of the injunction with the end of the lawsuit. Based on the news yesterday, the dismissal will occur within 2 weeks.

At that point, DHS is free to end new applications and renewals of DACA 2012 free of the injunction ruling, should it desire to do so, which I hope and believe is Trump's plan. We'll see.
    I'm going to suggest your research is flawed. President Trump or Secretary Kelly could and could have ended DACA on a moments notice. There is absolutely nothing holding them back but their own personal will. The argument you're bring up is silly (IMO).

I'm fairly certain it has become very obvious to most of us that Trump and Kelly have no interest in ending DACA. Both of them are waiting patiently for a DACA legalization bill from the U.S. Congress and both have basically admitted as much.

President Trump and Secretary Kelly have no excuses and can't hide from this.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast