http://www.athensnews.com/issue/article ... y_id=23847

Commentary: Try being undocumented and trapped in a community college
2006-03-23
By Diego Ramirez
Pacific News Service

SAN JOSE, Calif. - This week I find myself starting community college. This might not seem like such a big deal, but to those who know me, it is a strange move. That's because this past June I received my associate's degree from another community college.

Normally, I would be transferring to a four-year university. It's not my academic standing that's preventing me from moving forward -- I have taken all of my lower-division requirements for my graphic-design major and maintained a 3.3 GPA. It's my immigration status.

I came over from Mexico City with my mother in the fall of 1990, crossing the U.S.-Mexican border with the help of a "coyote." I was 5 years old. Since I am not a legal citizen of the United States, I am not entitled to receive any type of financial aid from the government. This includes both grants and loans. In many states (though not in California, where I live), students who are not legal residents are also required to pay out-of-state tuition to go to college in the state where they live.

Going to a four-year university would run me about $1,600 a semester in tuition alone. Add on things like books -- not to mention living expenses -- and this equals a financial nightmare for me. If I want to keep on learning, the only alternative I have is to go back to community college -- again. This time around I am taking a Chicano Literature class and studying Italian, just in case this nation allows me to travel outside its borders one day.

My goal is to continue to learn just for the sake of learning. For me, it is a test of my integrity. At the same time, my immigration status makes my future in the full-time workforce uncertain. I have been working in the design field for about three years now, doing work for non-profits, individuals and small organizations. Most of these people know my situation and understand that talent and place of birth have nothing to do with each other.

I have thought a lot about what I am going to do when it comes time to enter the "real" work force, when the clients I want to work for will not be small, and likely will mind my immigration status. I ask myself, then what? I guess I am just hoping that the lawmakers of this nation will realize that people like myself deserve the chance to better ourselves and make a contribution. After all, I have accomplished so much, even with the handicap of being an illegal immigrant.

There is a piece of federal legislation called the DREAM Act that would give people like me equal access to higher education, and allow us to pursue permanent residence. This piece of legislation would change my life and those of many others. It would allow us to receive that higher learning that we seek, and give us the opportunity to do something with it after we graduate.

This act has been turned down once, but I have to believe it will be reintroduced and passed, and I and many others will get our chance to realize our dreams. I guess that's why they call it a DREAM Act.

I have lived in this country for almost 16 years, and I have done no harm to it. I would like the same opportunities those who are born here receive.

My own dream would be to go to a university and receive my BFA in graphic design. My mother always told me that if I want something badly enough, I can't let anything get in the way of obtaining it.

For now, knowledge is my prize. I will keep on learning as long as I can, even if I stay within the community college circuit for the rest of my days. And I will keep on dreaming. Copyright PNS

Editor's note: Diego Ramirez, 20, is a contributor to Silicon Valley Debug (www.siliconvalleydebug.org), a voice for young artists and workers, writers and artists in Silicon Valley.