Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

VA: Hispanic lawmaker seeks end to 'sanctuary'

Is Virginia on a roll or what?
    ~~~

Hispanic lawmaker seeks end to 'sanctuary'

August 24, 2007

By Seth McLaughlin - Virginia's only Hispanic state lawmaker is crafting legislation that would cut off state funding to any locality providing sanctuary to illegal aliens.

"Providing sanctuary to illegal immigrants in essence encourages illegal immigration, and makes Virginia a destination for illegals," said Jeffrey M. Frederick, Prince William County Republican.

The aim is to stop Virginia counties, cities and towns with policies that ignore a person's immigration status while providing public benefits and services. Several localities in Northern Virginia are enacting or exploring ordinances aimed at curbing the population of illegal aliens.

"Illegal immigration is costing taxpayers a fortune, and it is harming the quality of life of our citizens," Mr. Frederick said. "It's time we require our local governments to obey the law."

Mr. Frederick will introduce his proposal when the General Assembly convenes in January. Republican lawmakers said yesterday that the likelihood of approval depends of the specifics of the bill.

Prince William County has been at the forefront of efforts to enforce immigration laws. Last month, the Board of County Supervisors voted unanimously to require police officers to ask about the immigration status of those they arrest if there is probable cause to think federal immigration laws were violated. The board also voted to require the county to verify legal status before providing certain public services.

Loudoun, Spotsylvania, Culpeper, Stafford, Chesterfield and James City counties also have either explored or enacted ordinances aimed at curbing illegals.

Mr. Frederick said his legislation would require every local government to take actions similar to those in Prince William or jeopardize state funding.

Delegate David B. Albo, Fairfax County Republican, called Mr. Frederick's plan a "great idea."

Mr. Albo said some local governments, including Fairfax County, have ignored legislation he ushered through the General Assembly in 2005 to prevent illegal aliens from receiving any non-emergency public benefits.

Fairfax County officials say the law goes too far by denying access to subsidized health care, free clinics and homeless shelters for adult aliens.

"As Prince William, Loudoun, Spotsylvania and Stafford crack down on illegal immigrants, very clearly they are going to go to find a sanctuary for illegal immigrants and Fairfax County sticks out like a sore thumb," said Corey Stewart, chairman of the Prince William Board of County Supervisors. "We have been having this problem with the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors refusing to get on board with what we are doing."

J. Walter Tejada, vice chairman of the Arlington County Board, said Mr. Frederick's proposal amounts to politics.

"We need to be about ensuring safety in our community and making sure health issues are addressed," said Mr. Tejada, a Democrat. "We will continue to be a jurisdiction that is welcoming to immigrants and will continue to comply with the law."

Mr. Albo and Sen. Kenneth T. Cuccinelli II, Fairfax County Republican, said Mr. Frederick faces a challenge with his definition of "sanctuary" and how he addresses such things as the Supreme Court's ruling making every child eligible for a free education.

"I really don't want Virginia localities to act as inviters of illegals, but I want to be careful not to go berserk on it," Mr. Cuccinelli said. "If you are not running a check on everyone you pull over, does that mean you are a sanctuary? We need to stay rational and move with forethought."

Attorney General Robert F. McDonnell, a Republican, said he is reluctant to support the plan without learning the details, but that he is pushing for proposals to reduce crime related to illegal aliens and the drain on state taxpayers.

"I am certainly open to other things that will deal with this problem in the absence of federal action," he said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/ ... RSS_METRO1
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I HOPE EVERYONE IS TAKING NOTICE, THAT IN EVERY TOWN, CITY, COUNTY, AND STATE, IT IS THE DEMOCRATS WHO REFUSE TO ENACT ANY LEGISLATION TO STOP THE ILLEGAL INVASIONS.

I saw Mr. Frederick on tv recently speaking and later in the show someone said all of the people wanting the laws upheld were racist.I had to laugh because I wondered how they could pin that on Mr.Frederick.

Head 'em up,move 'em out Rawhide!

Looks like I'm about to move to Old Virginny!

We'd be glad to have you Nimrod.
    Word of advice-Do not buy a house with a bus stop in front as bus riders in northern Va. will sit/lay in your yard while waiting for said bus.

Quote Originally Posted by NCByrd
    I HOPE EVERYONE IS TAKING NOTICE, THAT IN EVERY TOWN, CITY, COUNTY, AND STATE, IT IS THE DEMOCRATS WHO REFUSE TO ENACT ANY LEGISLATION TO STOP THE ILLEGAL INVASIONS.

That's why we can't allow any of these US traitors to become president.

The Democrats will destroy this country if we give them the chance.
    ( STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT EMPLOYMENT - BOYCOTT FIELDALE FARMS, PILGRIMS PRIDE & TYSON POULTRY )

Bill Would Link Funds, Verification by Localities

By Sandhya Somashekhar
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, August 25, 2007; Page B04

A delegate from Prince William County said this week that he will introduce a bill that would cut off state funding to local governments that fail to check the immigration status of residents who get public assistance.

Del. Jeffrey M. Frederick (R) said the legislation would toughen a 2005 Virginia law that forbids local governments to provide some social services to illegal immigrants. He plans to call for every county, city and town to prove its compliance with the law by adopting policies similar to those proposed in Prince William and Loudoun County, which voted this summer to deny services to illegal immigrants and step up law enforcement efforts against them.

Those who don't comply should lose all their state funding, including allotments for transportation and economic development, he said.

"Illegal aliens should not have a sanctuary in the commonwealth of Virginia," said Frederick, whose mother is from Colombia and who says he is the first Latino elected to state office in Virginia. "We don't need to provide them with an incentive to cut the line and break the rules."

The legislation is aimed primarily at such counties as Arlington and Fairfax, where officials have said they would prefer to leave immigration enforcement to federal authorities. Leaders in both counties also have said they do not support increasing cooperation between local police and immigration authorities for fear that even legal immigrants will be afraid to report crimes and help with investigations.

Frederick's effort heightens the tensions prompted recently over the differing approaches to what has become a key local issue. Last week, Corey A. Stewart (R-At Large), Prince William Board of County Supervisors chairman, publicly denounced his Fairfax counterpart for declining to participate in a training program that allows police officers to gain access to federal immigration databases and quickly deport criminals.

Gerald E. Connolly, chairman of the Fairfax Board of Supervisors, accused Stewart this week of "political posturing." In an interview on WMAL radio, Connolly (D) said many of the county's social and housing programs require proof of legal status. However, he has said his approach has been to deal with the complaints often associated with illegal immigration, such as gangs and residential crowding, not illegal immigration itself.

"We are trying to focus on the nature of the problem in the neighborhood rather than on status because that's not our mission," he said in a separate interview with The Washington Post last month. "That's a federal mission. We've got our hands full at the local level."

Connolly did not return phone calls yesterday afternoon.

In his announcement Thursday, Frederick was harshest about Arlington, accusing the county government of knowingly providing housing subsidies to illegal immigrants. Arlington Board Chairman Paul Ferguson (D) denied the charge. He said the county does not actively seek information about residents' immigration status unless required by law.

That's not proactive enough, said Stewart, who praised Frederick. "I think that most counties are very happy to participate and try to crack down on illegal immigration," Stewart said. "But there are a couple of laggards, and if [a new state law is] required to protect the residents of Northern Virginia, so be it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01966.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I called to ask Mr. Connelly in Fairfax over a year ago, what he was going to do about the problem with illegal aliens in the county, the assistant on the phone was very polite but, let me know that Mr. Connelly was more interested in making a connection between the police and the hispanic community -so they would learn to trust the police and report crimes,I was told-than to do anything about the hispanics.
    The thing that got me was I never mentioned hispanics, I said illegals.
    WE NEED TO GET RID OF CONNELLY.

When I called over a year ago the illegal alien problem was quite obvious,since then it really has gotten NOTICEABLY worse.I have even noticed an increase in the past 3-4 weeks,I am not kidding.