Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
- 11-05-2012, 03:05 PM #1
VA - Illegal immigrant sentenced in Roanoke federal court
By: U.S. Attorney's Office | WSLS-TV 10
Published: November 05, 2012
ROANOKE, VA --
A previously deported immigrant from Jamaica was sentenced on Friday in the United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia in Roanoke for illegally re-entering the United States without permission, after having been convicted of an aggravated felony.
Andrew Anthony Maylor, who was deported in 2008 after being released from prison from a 1993 conviction for federal drug conspiracy charges, was sentenced to 57 months of federal incarceration for illegally re-entering the United States after having been previously removed, and for 37 additional months for violation of his prior term of supervised release, for a total of 94 months.
"Mr. Maylor committed a serious felony in the early 1990's and was justly punished for that crime and deported," United States Attorney Timothy J. Heaphy said today. "He committed another crime when he re-entered the United States without authorization. We will do all we can to enforce federal immigration laws, which help keep criminals like Mr. Maylor out of this country."
"Mr. Maylor's blatant disregard for the criminal and immigration laws of the United States have been judged today. When aggravated felons reenter the United States, we will continue to focus our resources on smart, effective enforcement that targets these individuals and work with our partners to aggressively prosecute them," said M. Yvonne Evans, field office director for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) in Washington, D.C. "We continue to strive to improve the quality of life for our communities through these efforts."
According to a statement of facts entered into the record by Assistant United States Attorney Elizabeth Wright and signed by the defendant, Mr. Maylor admitted to re-entering the United States, without permission, on February 4, 2011 at Miami, Florida, by boat without inspection. The defendant admitted that he never applied for re-entry to the Attorney General of the United States or the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security.
The investigation of the case was conducted by ICE-Enforcement and Removal Operations. Assistant United States Attorney Elizabeth Wright prosecuted the case for the United States.
Illegal immigrant sentenced in Roanoke federal court | WSLS 10We have immigration laws that just need to be enforced.