Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

VA-Prince William immigration policy could be ext...(updated

Prince William immigration policy could be extended statewide

Manassas, Va. resident Edil Sarazu, left, participates with others in a rally and march protesting Prince William County's proposed resolution aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration at the Sean T. Connaughton Community Plaza in Woodbridge, Va. on Sunday, Sept. 2, 2007. Sarazu is a native of Peru and came to the United States eight years ago. The rally and march were held by the Mexicans Without Borders and ended a week of boycotts against non-Hispanic owned county businesses.

Published: January 16, 2011
    » 24 Comments

PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, Va. -- Del. L. Scott Lingamfelter, R-Prince William, has introduced legislation that would require police to check the immigration status of anyone arrested.

The legislation would essentially extend Prince William's illegal immigration enforcement policy to all Virginia.

Lingamfelter's bill was lauded Friday by Prince William Board of County Supervisors Chairman Corey Stewart, a Republican who has hinted at running for U.S. Sen. Jim Webb's seat in 2012.

Prince William's policy, passed by its Board of County Supervisors amid controversy in 2007, mandates that police officers inquire into the immigration status of everyone who is arrested in the county.

"The strength of this policy is that it mandates the status check and establishes a bright line for Virginia law enforcement, avoiding racial-profiling accusations," said Stewart. "As lawmakers, we have to show our law enforcement officials that we have their backs."

He added: "I am very hopeful we will be able to advance the rule of law for all Virginians."

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/ja ... ar-778148/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sarazu is a native of Peru and came to the United States eight years ago. The rally and march were held by the Mexicans Without Borders
    Does this need anymore explanation? As I said ,as a sovereighn nation we have every right to enforce our laws and secure the borders. These people need to all be deported out of here. I have no sympathy for people that protest on our streets and make demands when they are not citizens!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

and ended a week of boycotts against non-Hispanic owned county businesses.
    Bet the American shoppers enjoyed that week!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Posted at 3:05 PM ET, 01/18/2011

House GOP announces program against illegal immigration
    By Fredrick Kunkle

A group of House Republicans announced plans Tuesday to put forward a package of at least 16 bills aimed at illegal immigrants, including bills that would revoke the driving licenses of deportees, block illegal immigrants from attending public colleges and universities, and require the state to begin tracking the number of undocumented children in public schools.

"America is a nation of immigrants," said Del. L. Scott Lingamfelter (R-Prince William), who is leading the task force appointed by House Speaker William J. Howell (R-Stafford). "We are also nation founded on the rule of law, the right to possess private property and a common American identity."

Lingamfelter said state action was needed because the federal government has "completely failed" to protect its borders.

The package unveiled Tuesday includes similar bills - HB2332 and HB1430 -- that would require authorities to ascertain the immigration status of anyone "taken into custody" to make sure that the check would apply to those who were arrested by police but released on bail or bond before being taken to jail. Del. C. Todd Gilbert (R-Shenandoah) would require parents who enroll children in public school to disclose their immigration status and require the state to tally the numbers. Del. Christopher Peace (R-Hanover) would prohibit illegal aliens from enrolling in public higher education institutions. Other bills would force all public contractors, employers with more than 15 employees and all local governments to enroll in the E-Verify Program to ascertain the status of newly hired employees.

Del. David B. Albo (R-Fairfax) said that although the group was motivated by a recent, controversial law in Arizona that gave police sweeping new powers to inquire of people's immigration status, the final package represented a more moderate approach that should pass constitutional muster. But even Republicans acknowledge that few, if any, have a chance in the Democratically controlled Senate.

"It's mostly filling in loopholes," Albo said.

Virginia already denies driver's licenses to illegal immigrants and all taxpayer-paid services except those mandated by law, such as public education or emergency medical care.

"Virginia has passed some of the most aggressive measures against undocumented immigrants, yet it never seems to be enough for these guys," said Del. Scott A. Surovell (D-Mount Vernon). "I find it fascinating that all these small-government conservatives are advocating expensive, big-government intrusions into duties the federal government already does."

The Republicans backing the immigration bills rejected criticism that their proposals could fan racial tensions or sacrifice the GOP's future prospects for immediate political gain. Latinos, for example, as the nation's largest minority, add almost half a million voters to the rolls every year, as Surovell pointed out during a speech on the floor of the House during Tuesday's session.

Lingamfelter also dismissed analyses that suggest that the GOP could be sacrificing long-term viability for short-term success.

"I'm proud to be part of a party that believes in the rule of law," he said.

Members of the caucus believe that even if the bills did not pass - and at least some will certainly face long odds in the Democratic-controlled Senate -- they hoped that their introduction in the General Assembly would make the federal government take note and do more to enforce existing immigration laws. The message, as Lingamfelter put it, would be: "We expect you to get off your keester and get busy and enforce the laws of this nation."

http://oneoldvet.com/

http://voices.washingtonpost.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Lingamfelter said state action was needed because the federal government has "completely failed" to protect its borders.
    Thanks for standing up and telling the truth! Another Sheriff I would definitely support.