Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Vicente Fox hails Anti-American U.S. immigration bill

http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/ ... 4269c.html

Fox hails passage of immigration bill
    By Jim Sanders -- Bee Capitol Bureau

Published 7:01 pm PDT Thursday, May 25, 2006

Speaking to the California Legislature, Mexican President Vicente Fox on Thursday applauded passage of a sweeping immigration reform bill by the U.S. Senate and said his country is willing to share in border control.

"Mexico wants to be part of the solution, not part of the problem," Fox said in a 20-minute speech to a joint session of the state Senate and Assembly, marking his first official visit to California's Capitol in five years.

Democrats reacted warmly to Fox's speech, but about a half-dozen Republicans skipped the session to protest illegal immigration from Mexico. Other GOP lawmakers gave Fox only tepid applause - or none at all.

Fox did not comment specifically on President Bush's plan to have states, including California, deploy 6,000 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexican border.

But the Mexican leader said an immigration crackdown will not solve the problem.

"Mexico believes that it will take more than just enforcement or building walls to truly solve the challenges posed by the migration phenomenon, and that a comprehensive reform is in the interest of both nations," Fox said.

He hailed Thursday's U.S. Senate action as historic and long-awaited.

The Senate legislation proposes to strengthen border controls while creating temporary guest-worker programs and a mechanism for granting citizenship to millions of illegal immigrants.

"It is a moment that millions of families have been hoping for," Fox said of the U.S. Senate vote.

"This will have a strong impact on the destinies and lives of millions of families."

Upon his arrival at Sacramento International Airport, Fox said news of the U.S. Senate vote "fills us with happiness."

"It has to do with our countrymen," he said. "It has to do with their work. They have fought to arrive at this moment.

"Every one of them, and their families, have been the main protagonists," he said. "They have all my gratitude, they have all my respect, and as always my admiration. My heart is with them forever."

At the Capitol, Fox told legislators that his country is committed to:

• Recognizing the United States' sovereign right to enforce its laws, and to protect its borders and its citizens.

• Expanding Mexico's economic growth and social opportunities so that "migration is no longer a necessity."

• Developing and enforcing migration laws that fight human smuggling and drug trafficking while respecting human rights on both sides of the border.

Fox, who is serving his final year in office, said his country is willing to adjust its "migration policy" to share in border control.

The Mexican president did not elaborate on how responsibilities should be shared, or what form of immigration control he would advocate.

He said policies should regulate the "movement of people across our border in a manner which is legal, safe and orderly."

Fox also praised Mexicans who currently reside in the United States.

"Mexico is proud of its people here, whose working spirit and moral values contribute every day to building citizenship and community in this great nation," he said.

Aside from immigration, Fox stressed that Mexico has made significant improvements in education, job growth, democracy, human rights, accountability and numerous other areas.

"In addition to being neighbors, Mexico and California share longstanding and close ties of friendship, cooperation and goodwill," he said.

Assembly Republican Leader George Plescia, of La Jolla, said the speech was "nothing more than a carefully orchestrated political stunt."

"President Fox could have used the occasion of his address to give Californians some insight on his government's plans to stop the flow of illegal immigrants from Mexico into California," Plescia said in a prepared statement. "Much to my disappointment, he spoke in generalities and talked about 'shared responsibility' without taking any responsibility for his policies that encourage Mexican residents to cross the border illegally. We heard a monologue, not a constructive dialogue."

Fox was scheduled to meet with Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger Thursday night.

The Mexican president's visit to California is part of a four-day United States sweep encompassing Utah and Washington state as well.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Well if Fox likes it then it must be in the best interest of the American people.

It is time to stand up tell those traitors who voted for this law to move to Mexico. They don’t support the interests of Americans. We need to find out if any of them will be in the public over the holiday and tell them that they betrayed America. Perhaps an unscheduled protest.

They have just defecated on every U.S. Veteran.

Bush is reaching out to the good hard working people of Mexico, so why hasn't Fox reached out to the American people?

I wish someone could tell me just how are Americans going to benefit from the merger of the three countries??? I certainly see how Mexico already have,and will benefit, but how will we Americans benefit?

KM

Right! Like I'd put ANY faith in the Mexican government and military to help with border control. More than likely they'll be finding any holes in the fence to push their little buddies through faster.
    "There is no human right to enter another country in violation of its laws."
    U.S. Ambassador to Mexico Antonio Garza, 2006

This guy just takes the cake.

Somebody stop the world... I want to get off.

Surprised

Ted Kennedy and Mexico's Fox like the bill; that says much.

He hailed Thursday's U.S. Senate action as historic and long-awaited.
    Fox better hide and watch, because the next "U.S. Senate action" will also be "historic and long-awaited"

furthermore, neither Congress nor the President has the authority to create the North American union
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"