Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Virtual fence' gets test run on Arizona border

'Virtual fence' gets test run on Arizona border
    Richard Marosi
    Los Angeles Times
    June 24, 2007

Federal authorities have begun testing a sophisticated camera tower system along the Arizona-Mexico border, the first phase of a plan that envisions a high-technology "virtual fence" instead of physical barriers to control much of the frontier.

The project, which began testing two weeks ago, consists of nine 98-foot towers – bristling with camera, radar and communication equipment – strung along 28 miles of a busy immigrant corridor southwest of Tucson, Ariz.

Part of the Department of Homeland Security's Secure Border Initiative, the closely watched project could determine the border's future landscape. If successful, it could take pressure off the Bush administration to erect more fencing, and bolster claims that the enforcement buildup is disrupting migration patterns. Boeing Co. is the lead contractor on the project.

Under the plan, dozens of towers would be placed along the border, equipped with thermal-imaging cameras that can pinpoint people up to 5 miles away, illuminate them at night and outline their images behind bushes.

In a control room in Tucson, operators watching monitors will transmit detection information to border patrol agents, who will use geographic positioning systems and live video feeds to locate and intercept the migrants.

Similar systems already exist in most populated areas along the border, but they are not as sophisticated. Despite some early technical problems and cost overruns, the camera systems have been effective in San Diego, Nogales, Ariz., and other areas.

The virtual fence option is raising hopes among some lawmakers that it offers a better enforcement solution than erecting physical barriers along the entire border.

"The reality is we don't want to build a wall … many of us realize that," said Rep. Loretta Sanchez, D-Calif., chairwoman of the House Subcommittee on Border, Maritime and Global Counterterrorism.

"There are much smarter ways of figuring out who's entering our country than seeing who's coming over a wall," she said.

The system is being tested in the busiest illegal immigrant corridor in the country, a cactus-dotted desert valley north of Sasabe, Mexico, where people hike for days toward Tucson.

More than 1 million migrants have crossed the desert, a vast human tide that many experts believe will be deterred once the towers are fully operational.

"I think that if it works the way it's supposed to work, you'll see arrests go to near zero in that area," said Michael Nicley, the former chief of the U.S. Border Patrol's Tucson sector.

But migration flows would probably move to other areas – much as they have in past enforcement efforts.

Federal officials said they hope to expand the program rapidly, erecting about 70 more towers by the end of 2008. About 350 miles of fencing is also slated for installation by 2008.

The $67 million contract to launch the project, called SBInet, was awarded in September to Boeing Co., which will manage numerous subcontractors.

Under SBInet, a mix of high-technology tools, infrastructure and fencing will be used to secure the border, at an estimated cost of about $8 billion.

Boeing sold its plan to the Homeland Security Department as less risky and less expensive than competing proposals that would have relied heavily on drones for routine surveillance work.

But a report last year by the Government Accountability Office found that the program lacks sufficient management controls and could be marred by cost overruns and performance problems.

Members of the House Subcommittee on Border, Maritime and Global Counterterrorism last week questioned why the system was not operational as planned Wednesday.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/nation_w ... ?ID=196453

I mean really, what is a virtual fence really going to do? I think the illegals would be long gone before a border patrol agent could get there?
    "Democrats Fall in Love, Republicans Fall in Line!"

Ex-El Presidente' www.jorgeboosh.com

give me a rock or a gun and I will put the virtual fence out of order. How long will it take to repair the virtual fence? Give me a real fence and forget the virtual fence, it is just another Bush lie.

Exactly, what makes these fools think that these towers are not at risk by the ones who mean to cross the border, no matter what?

To use this high tech crap is just to make another Bush cronie rich. I can see alot of maintenance having to be done to these towers at the cost, the price gouging cost to the tax payer.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)