Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
02-20-2013, 12:14 AM #1
Vitter Works on Targeted Immigration Reforms, Enforcement
February 18, 2013
(Washington, D.C.) – U.S. Senator David Vitter (R-La.) introduced several targeted bills, and cosponsored others, to enforce immigration law and reform policies that have been abused by illegal immigrants.
“Acknowledging a need for immigration reform is one thing, agreeing on enforcement seems to be a completely different story,” Vitter said. “While the rift continues amongst the Gang of Eight on enforcement, I’m working on a few targeted reforms that could help solve our illegal immigration problem and avoid amnesty by putting enforcement first.”
A list of the targeted reform bills Vitter is introducing or cosponsoring is below.
• STEM Jobs Act of 2013 – makes up to 55,000 visa available to qualified immigrants who: (1) have a doctorate degree in a field of science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM degree) from a U.S. doctoral institution of higher education; and (2) have taken all doctoral courses in a STEM field while physically present in the U.S.
• Child Tax Credit – prevents illegal aliens from claiming the Child Tax Credit that is intended for American citizens and legal residents by closing a loophole with Internal Revenue System. This would save $4.2 billion each year.
Cosponsors: Sens. John Boozman (R-Ark.) and Deb Fischer (R-Neb.)
• Sanctuary Cities – prohibits federal funds from being distributed to cities that encourage and provide safe harbor for illegal aliens.
Cosponsors: Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) and Deb Fischer (R-Neb.)
• E-Verify (Sen. Chuck Grassley is lead sponsor) – provides employers with an effective and inexpensive means of verifying employee eligibility.
Vitter is an original cosponsor of Sen. Grassley’s bill
• Voter Integrity Protection Act – makes voting in a federal election by an illegal alien who is unlawfully in the U.S. an aggravated felony and a deportable offense.
• Birthright Citizenship Act – preventing the children of illegal immigrants from gaining automatic U.S. citizenship unless one of the parents is: (1) a U.S. citizen or national, (2) a lawful permanent resident, or (3) an alien performing active service in the U.S. Armed Forces.
Cosponsors: Sens. John Boozman (R-Ark.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah)
• US-VISIT – implements the U.S. VISIT check-in/check-out system. The system was required by Congress in 1996 to be implemented in 2005. It has yet to be implemented.
Cosponsors: Sens. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah)
New Vitter Works on Targeted Immigration Reforms, EnforcementSupport our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn