Water District Workers Say Bullets Fired at Them From Mexican Side

Reported by: Stephanie Bertini
Last Update: 7:13 pm

HIDALGO - Bullets were fired across the river near a county water pump station. Three workers were right by the river when the shots were fired. Nobody was hurt. Now those workers are not taking any chances.

Mexico is a quick glance away for those who work at this Hidalgo County Water District.

"My men can be standing anywhere along that pump station and they are vulnerable to anything that goes on at that river," says Othal Brand Jr., general manager at Hidalgo County Water District No. 3.

Brand says drug smugglers or Mexican nationals crossing illegally are common. What happened last week is not.

"It is the first for us," says Brand.

Brand says his employees were shot at from across the river last Thursday afternoon. Three men were doing some work on the pipes that feed the pumps. They heard three gunshots across the river. They were terrified.

They didn't see who fired the shots. They don't know why. Nobody was hurt. Now Brand says because of this incident he's allowing his workers to carry their guns on the job.

"Every employer wants a safe working environment. It's kind of hard to do that when you are along the river. So my main concern is to tell them that I understand their concern for their personal safety. The only thing I know to do right now is say if you want to carry firearms, I am OK on our property, on our clock, while you are doing your work,â€