Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Wave of bills get tough on immigration

Wave of bills get tough on immigration
    by Zahira Torres \ Austin Bureau
    Posted: 11/21/2010 12:00:00 AM MST

AUSTIN -- Proposed laws that take aim at undocumented immigrants are not new to Texas. But the political will to pass immigration legislation similar to Arizona's is growing, as Texas lawmakers have filed about 30 bills that target undocumented immigrants for their session that will begin in January.

Civil-rights groups and Democrats say they are alarmed by the wave of bills. They say some of the legislation could pass with the new 99-51 Republican majority in the Texas House. Republicans in the previous session had only a four-vote majority in the House.

For their part, Republican lawmakers seem to stand behind bills that would require voters to show photo identification before casting ballots. Unclear is whether more controversial bills that target undocumented immigrants will gather the same kind of support.

"The House is more conservative, and I do think that increases the likelihood," said Sherri Greenberg, a political science professor at the University of Texas at Austin and former Democratic lawmaker.

Greenberg said a voter identification bill would probably pass soon after the 2011 session begins. As for the other more controversial bills, she said, it is too early to tell how many Republicans will back them.

Among these bills are a few that promote Arizona-style legislation, which requires local law enforcement to act as de facto border patrol agents. The Obama administration and others are challenging Arizona's law in court.

Even so, Republican state Reps. Debbie Riddle, of Tomball, and Leo Berman, of Tyler, have filed similar bills for Texas.

Berman also is proposing legislation that would require a presidential or vice-presidential candidate to present a birth certificate to the Texas secretary of state for a place on the ballot.

And Berman filed a bill that calls into question birthright citizenship offered in the 14th Amendment.

It says: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside."

Berman said the phrase "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is subjective.

He said that, if the bill wins approval and is challenged by civil-rights groups, the state will seek to prove that undocumented immigrants are not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States because they cannot vote, cannot serve on a jury and are not required to sign up for a military draft. He conceded, though, that they are subject to the state's jurisdiction when it comes to paying taxes and breaking the law.

"We want to go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court and have them decide the jurisdiction of individuals who were born in the United States," Berman said. "I believe, and many people believe, that we are giving away citizenship to the children of individuals who are committing a crime against the United States by violating our borders. That's not even reasonable."

Other bills would prohibit an undocumented immigrant from bringing a claim in state court, assess a fee of 8 percent on money that is sent to Mexico, Central America or South America, make English the official language of Texas, and restrict state agencies from spending money on materials that are not in English.

Cities and counties that do not enforce immigration laws would be denied state money in another proposed bill. Still another would refuse services to the children of undocumented immigrants.

Luis Figueroa, a legislative attorney with the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, said he hopes "cooler minds will prevail" when lawmakers meet.

"What we think will remain true of this session as well as the last session is that the vast majority of these bills are either unconstitutional, extremely anti-business or completely impractical," Figueroa said.

For instance, he said, a bill filed by Riddle would require schools to identify students who are undocumented immigrants. But, he said, the measure would force school districts to have an immigration officer and attorney on staff because "there is no way of knowing what a student's immigration status is just by looking at them or whether or not they live in a certain area."

Berman, though, said undocumented immigrants are costing the state money.

"Illegal aliens using false or counterfeit driver's licenses and other forms of identification, which you can probably buy on a street corner in El Paso, are getting our Texas state benefits," Berman said.

Others dispute his assessment.

About 1.4 million undocumented immigrants bolstered Texas' economy by an estimated $17.7 billion in 2005, according to a report from the state comptroller in 2006.

Back then, Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn estimated that state revenues from undocumented immigrants exceeded what the state spent on services for them by nearly $425 million.

But, she said, it was the reverse for local governments and hospitals, which had an estimated loss of nearly $929 million in 2005.

State Rep.-elect Dee Margo, R-El Paso, said he would not support bills that attempt to change the 14th Amendment, require that presidential and vice-presidential candidates present their birth certificates, or make it more difficult for businesses to flourish.

"I just think when you have a $20 billion budget shortfall you have to deal with the priorities first and foremost," Margo said.

Lydia Camarillo, vice president of the San Antonio-based Southwest Voter Registration education project, said Latino candidates contributed to Republican gains this cycle. But, she said, Latino GOP candidates will not be enough to keep Republicans on top in future elections.

Latinos make up 37 percent of the state's population of nearly 25 million people.

Camarillo said the passage of legislation targeting immigrants could mobilize Latinos against the party.

"The session hasn't even started and we are already beginning to see some of the most ridiculous, outrageous, racist proposed legislation because the Republicans feel that they have a mandate on their side," she said. "I would suggest that's not the case."

Camarillo said the coming session will create a fight in the Texas Legislature because some Republicans may try to assume more conservative stances to please tea party supporters.

One factor in the debate could be whether Republican Gov. Rick Perry runs for president.

"In the past, Governor Perry would say we don't need these things in Texas," Camarillo said. "That's not what we are going to hear this cycle."

Still, Camarillo said, Perry will have to tread lightly because he will need the support of Latinos if he hopes to defeat President Barack Obama in 2012.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_16670878

As I was told by my Senators intern I think you will see real change in the new year. We still need to be vigilant!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    As I was told by my Senators intern I think you will see real change in the new year. We still need to be vigilant!
    Man, I hope so! You had to have talked to Burr's aide as Hagan is worthless...LOL! I pray someone here in NC starts to correct the leniency shown to invaders here. I was out of town when the meeting in Durham took place over accepting the Matricula cards, but this sanctuary crap has to end. I am tired of having to go way out of my way to earn an honest living while the damn invaders are thriving!

Yes I did Nomas.....she also informed me more on the Modernization Bill on Food Safety and said Sen Burr (along with others) would not have approved it, if it had any infringements on local farmers and individual gardens. So I am taking their word on that.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Re: Wave of bills get tough on immigration

Quote Originally Posted by elpasoborn
    About 1.4 million undocumented immigrants bolstered Texas' economy by an estimated $17.7 billion in 2005, according to a report from the state comptroller in 2006.
    I don't believe 17.7b is a true number cause Bush was a pro amnesty supporter!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It's really amazing that bills designed to combat those who entered this country in violation laws; along with other various crimes they commit in order to facilitate their illegal existence would even be an issue. Passage of such laws should be a no brainer that all Americans would support. That is unless you have some other agenda afoot or a financial interest in exploiting illegal invader labor to the determent of Americans.

It's amazing that states would tolerate spending billions on illegal invaders in the way of social benefits while the feds sit on their collective asses and allow millions more to enter because they refuse to secure the border and enforce immigration law.

It’s also amazing that we're expected to tolerate this invasion under the social doctrines of “multiculturism and diversity,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by NoBueno
    That is unless you have some other agenda afoot or a financial interest in exploiting illegal invader labor to the determent of Americans.
    They say one thing and act another as part of their careers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_propaganda

Black propaganda is false information and material that purports to be from a source on one side of a conflict, but is actually from the opposing side. It is typically used to vilify, embarrass or misrepresent the enemy.[1] Black propaganda contrasts with grey propaganda, the source of which is not identified, and white propaganda, in which the real source is declared and usually more accurate information is given, if also slanted or distorted.

Black propaganda purports to emanate from a source other than the true source. This type of propaganda is associated with covert psychological operations.[2] Sometimes the source is concealed or credited to a false authority and spreads lies, fabrications, and deceptions. Black propaganda is the "big lie," including all types of creative deceit.[3]

Ultimately, black propaganda relies on the willingness of the receiver to accept the credibility of the source. If the creators or senders of the black propaganda message do not adequately understand their intended audience, the message may be misunderstood, seem suspicious, or fail altogether.[3]

Governments will generally conduct black propaganda operations for two different reasons. First, by utilizing black propaganda a government is more likely to succeed in convincing their target audience that the information that they are seeking to influence them with is disguised, and that its motivations are not apparent. Second, there are diplomatic reasons behind the use of black propaganda. Black propaganda is necessary in order to obfuscate a government's involvement in activities that may be detrimental to its foreign policies.

[The point being: generate false sympathy as a "front" but work to do the exact opposite when the public isn't scrutinizing you.]

Latinos make up 37 percent of the state's population of nearly 25 million people.
    BUT! In 2010, illegal immigrants constituted an estimated 6.0% of the population. This was the fifth highest percentage of any state in the country.[108][109] Washington Post

Not to mention anchor babies. See how quickly some politicians are eager to use illegal aliens to gain political strength.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    BUT! In 2010, illegal immigrants constituted an estimated 6.0% of the population. This was the fifth highest percentage of any state in the country.[108][109] Washington Post

Not to mention anchor babies. See how quickly some politicians are eager to use illegal aliens to gain political strength.

Dixie
    Anytime a politicians starts talking about children someone is going to get screwed royally!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast