Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

We all know who paints their homes in tropical colors

Hispanics see red over proposal

By ANABELLE GARAY
    Associated Press

FARMERS BRANCH -- Some residents of this Dallas suburb that tried to ban apartment rentals to illegal immigrants now want the city to regulate which colorful hues people can paint their homes.

Although the City Council hasn't decided whether to consider any house paint restrictions, Hispanic leaders say it's yet another effort to target Latinos in the city.

"I believe controlling the color you paint your house is basically profiling the Hispanic community," said Elizabeth Villafranca, whose family owns a Mexican restaurant in Farmers Branch. "We all know who paints their homes tropical colors."

Two residents asked that the council discuss mandatory exterior color standards for buildings.

Such paint ordinances are usually set by homeowners' associations in the suburbs. Historical districts also regulate colors in an effort to preserve the original appearance of homes, said Jeffrey Rous, a University of North Texas professor who teaches urban economics.

Farmers Branch resident Tom Bohmier wonders whether there's a way to balance ruling out some shocking colors while keeping individuality. One of his neighbors has a home painted in several colors, including a flashy blue.

"It tends to harm the value of the neighborhood when people are shopping for homes," he said.

But Rous, who's building a home in Farmers Branch, questions whether it's proper for government to decide which color palette is considered garish or beautiful.

"To say that we're going to have government officials dictate what constitutes good aesthetics, I'm not sure local elected officials should be making those decisions," Rous said. "I'm not sure what the need is for this."

Victorian homes are often painted bright blue or peacock green. Buildings in South Beach typically have outside lights in electric purples and yellow. Structures in Santa Fe blend into the desert landscape with earthen reds or dark tans.

But most homes in Farmers Branch are brick, with trim or shutters painted in neutral colors. A handful are more brightly colored, such as one wood home with Kelly green trim and an upscale two-story house with one burnt orange side.

Residents Matt Burton and Robin Bernier proposed the color standards at a City Council meeting this month, presenting photos showing homes with shades they found unsightly.

Burton didn't immediately respond to a message for comment, and a telephone number for Bernier was not available.

But Bernier, who also supported the city's apartment ban, told The Dallas Morning News: "When you paint your house some fluorescent or garish color scheme, you negatively affect my [home] value."

For now, city officials plan no action.

"We're going to look into it and see what the legal ramifications are," said city spokeswoman Nicole Recker.

Farmers Branch leaders have become involved in the nationwide political debate over immigration.

The City Council approved an ordinance that would require apartment managers to verify that renters are U.S. citizens or legal immigrants before leasing to them, with a few exceptions. Landlords would have faced fines of up to $500 a day for violating the measure.

Voters endorsed the ordinance in May, but a federal judge has blocked its enforcement, saying Farmers Branch had attempted to regulate immigration in a different way than the federal government does.
    http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?p=4880
    http://bcs.live.mediaspanonline.com/tex ... r_proposal
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I can so relate! There was once a bright purple house with pink trim in my hood. There is a bright blue one that was recently vacated. I hope it gets a paint job. Eye sores!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    Farmers Branch resident Tom Bohmier wonders whether there's a way to balance ruling out some shocking colors while keeping individuality. One of his neighbors has a home painted in several colors, including a flashy blue.
    I do believe we have enough trailer trash in this country and really dont see why people need to display that they are trailer trash in TECHNOCOLOR for the world to see

Property values are all ready suffering

Isn't the housing market suffering enough right now??

Rawhide!