Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

'We just want to work'

http://vaildaily.com/article/20060429/NEWS/104290041

'We just want to work'

Scott Condon
    April 29, 2006

ASPEN - "Anna," an illegal immigrant from Mexico with four young children, said she is looking forward to making a statement Monday in a national day of protest for Latinos on immigration issues.

"We are not criminals. We are contributing to the USA," said the woman, who didn't want her real name used for fear it could create problems with immigration officials.

Five other adult Latina students in the English as a Second Language class that Anna attended also expressed eagerness to participate in the rally and voice support for amnesty for themselves and others.

"We are not criminals. We just want to work," said "Lucy," another student in the class.

As long as illegal immigrants haven't broken laws while in the U.S., they should be allowed to stay, Lucy said. The law-abiding immigrants from Mexico and other Latin American countries "deserve to be here," she said.

Organizers are encouraging immigrants to show their clout Monday by staying home from work and school. Organizers also don't want the immigrants to spend money.

In interviews, Latinos in the Aspen area said they generally feel welcome and secure. They said they will not buy gas Monday. They will not shop for groceries or make trips to Wal-Mart. Those with kids appeared divided on whether to let them join the boycott by staying out of school.

Anna said it is important for her young school-aged kids to remain in classes so they could learn. As a housewife, she will participate in the rally by not spending any money that day. However, her husband will go to work. They cannot afford a day off with six mouths to feed.

Maria, a housekeeper at an Aspen hotel, acquired her citizenship recently - about five years after applying. Even though she is in the country legally, she plans to participate in Monday's protest as a sign of solidarity for friends and family in the U.S. illegally.

"We're trying to make them realize how much they need us," Maria said. "We're good citizens.

One woman acknowledged it was tough adjusting to the changes in language, culture and climate. It was especially hard to leave family members behind, "Ida" said.

"I cry one year and cry every day for families," she said with a slight smile.

But the advantages of life here are too great for them to return to Mexico, they said. They have good jobs that pay well. They also feel safer in Aspen than in Arizona or California, said Maria, who didn't use her last name because disclosure could compromise her fellow workers.

The housekeepers said they won't come to work on Monday after clearing it with their boss.

"It just sends a message," the hotel manager said. "Maybe people will have a greater appreciation of their contributions."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Are we in control?

Wonderful. That means 6 more mouths that I as a native citizen and mililitary veteran has to support with my tax dollars. Funny how all these illegal aliens say they are here only to work, but when a state like Georgia in which I currently reside passed a law barring illegal ailiens from receiving tax payer funded benefits such as welfare they scream bloody murder. I am so sick and tired of supporting illegal aliens through my tax dollars while our toilet of a president and congress idly sits by and lets this happen. Illegal aliens are nothing but parasites who bring disease, poverty and crime. Illegal immigration advocates say they contribute much to our economy but mention nothing about the severe drain on our education, welfare, and health systems they impose. Even though Illegal aliens work most are on welfare as their wages aren't enough to lift them out of poverty; consequently they draw welfare. Millions of them are using fraudulent documentation to include fake social security cards to obtain driver's licenses and other government services resulting in US citizens being victims of ID theft. To eliminate the perception that this is a racist ranting I am saying all the above involves illegal aliens from many countries. Until our government takes a stand for US citizens we are on our own.

As long as illegal immigrants haven't broken laws while in the U.S., they should be allowed to stay, Lucy said. The law-abiding immigrants from Mexico and other Latin American countries "deserve to be here," she said.
    They all just zip by the fact their illegal once they cross our borders without permission. They are being told, I guess, that its legal by others. On top of that, they think they have a right to be here! WRONG!! How stupid can these people be?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)