Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Who do you think attached your blue roof?

http://www.louisianaweekly.com/weekly/n ... ?20060605m

Who do you think attached your blue roof?
    By Dr. Andre Perry, Contributing Columnist
    June 5, 2006

Maybe the U.S. Senate and House should look at New Orleans as they debate a landmark immigration policy. Since the influx of undocumented immigrant, there have been a few disputes. When a new group of strangers come to town, a few conflicts are to be expected. However, the undocumented debate is literally being "worked" out.

Who do you think attached your blue roof? On September 6, 2005 the Office of Homeland Security announced they would "not sanction employers for hiring victims of Hurricane Katrina who, at this time, are unable to provide documentation." For a period of forty-five days from the date of the notice, DHS suspended penalties against employers who hired workers who could not produce identification.

In other words, undocumented immigrants could be hired without punishment being applied. So if the federal government is going to allow undocumented immigrants to work and private citizens to benefit from it, then officials should encourage policy that reflects the nature of their stay.

Instead, President Bush wants to send 6,000 National Guard troops to the Southern border. The fear created from the devastating events on 9/11, as well as the government's response to it, ostensibly confounds and combines the problems of immigration policy and terrorism.

Workers are not terrorist threats. The edict from the country's premiere security agency was a not so subtle admission that most undocumented immigrants coming from the U.S./Mexican border pose modest threats to community safety. In fact, after Katrina they provided it.

Moreover, why would workers terrorize the place of their livelihood? Anti-immigrant groups are simply guising their skewed beliefs in the sinister cloak of terrorism.

For New Orleans, the undocumented policy problem is being worked out in the streets. The acute labor needs of the Parish are primed for the undocumented workforce. Most unauthorized laborers come to this country to fill roles in five major sectors: construction, service industries, restaurants, agriculture and manufacturing. If New Orleans is going to rebuild at any reasonable pace, government officials, contractors, business leaders, and private citizens will probably value the speed, experience, reliability, and affordability of undocumented workers.

Still, when undocumented immigrants clear debris from our filthy streets, they're invisible. When they wait for that same work on Lee Circle they suddenly appear as illegal aliens. New Orleans can't use immigration status as a mechanism for exploitation. New Orleans cannot allow the linguistic and cultural threats of immigrants persuade us to think undocumented workers are some physical danger to our rebuilding efforts or to long-term residents of the city.

This is a wonderful opportunity for the established low-skilled labor force in the city to form coalitions to improve wages and working conditions. Unfortunately, the most vulnerable groups in the city fight for crumbs instead of using the need for low-skilled labor to leverage better work conditions by forming unions, coalitions, and partnerships.

When we perceive the available resources as scarce, then actors scrap. Black and Latinos should not point to each other as the problem. Poor blacks and poor undocumented Latinos should target their anger on companies who are taking to large a slice of the multibillion dollar rebuilding pie.

Besides, citizens have always lived with the undocumented. People's citizenship statuses are not tattooed on our foreheads. Newcomers eventually mix and blend.

The time needed to rebuild Lakeview and the Ninth Ward will certainly extend beyond the forty-five day grace period offered by DHS. Workers find homes, buy groceries, gamble, and hang out in the French Quarter. They go to church, have babies, and enroll their kids in school. They eventually come to love the Saints and somewhere during a second-line the undocumented immigrants become undocumented New Orleanians.

Still, the federal government must minimize opportunities for breaches in the border. However, the country must also protect all New Orleanians (documented or undocumented) from breaches in the levees. The identities that Katrina stole should have taught the entire country that it is vitally important that society can identify and account for everyone in a town, city, or parish. We must account for our neighbors.

If New Orleans is the cultural gumbo that many claim it to be, then we should welcome our undocumented neighbors and help create system that can account for their presence and contributions to rebuilding. Proper accounting provides security. Sending troops to the borders sends the wrong message about the character of our community members.

So if the country needs an immigration policy, allow that policy to be formed in New Orleans. Yes, the city needs the work. Yes, workers need identification. Yes, all of the city's contributors need protection from terrorists, hurricanes, and negative, unwarranted perceptions. Let the policy reflect those realities.

it is really very easy to check whether the person is legal - the language skills appreciation and 5 min conversation is enough without searching for papers , then pay roll can check SSN at their convenience .
    I do not hire illegal people - if I live in this country - first turn should be for people who live here . I do not have impression so far that Americans refuse jobs . It is just they have to be treated right , without abuse . Some people like to abuse others , this is where illegal speachless workers are handy .
    I think that " lazy " American is a myth . In comparison with other countries the average American / I mean middle class / is a workaholic .
    That is why the country is strong
    I think that we can always find the solution - summer jobs for students - robot machine washing the floors / in most hospitals - new thing / etc
    " Do not compromise yourself . You are all you've got ." -Janice Joplin .

Workers are not terrorist threats.
    How do you know?

Let me see, many of the 9-11 terrorist held jobs and some had families here. One dumb woman thought her hubby went to work one day but he actually flew into the World Trade Center Towers. She found the good buy dearest, I’m leaving you for 70 virgins, suicide note. The dumb wife didn't even know he was a terrorist. Also, the dumb woman married to the life time FBI agent Robert Phillip Hansen didn't have a clue. They went to church every Sunday and had a house full of kids. FBI Director Louis Freeh considers Hanssen's spying for the Russians, "the worst case of insider espionage in FBI history".

Anyone in this country has the potential to be a terrorist. Example, Tim McVey or Ted Kazenski. Terrorist don't make it a habit of telling you their intentions. However, more likely than not, they will be someone entering this country undocumented or that have allowed their visas to go out of status. They all pretend to be here "because they just want a job".

Black and Latinos should not point to each other as the problem. Poor blacks and poor undocumented Latinos should target their anger on companies
    Latinos, here is what I have to say about that! Americans, we should unite against companies that hire undocumented people, which depress wages for all races. Blacks do not have to join forces, with he Latinos to take up for yourselves. Don't be used for their agenda.

This reminded me of something Lou Dobbs said, "mow your own grass". Well, put on your own blue roof.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Dixie, you said it for me. I agree!
    TIME'S UP!
    Why should <u>only</u> AMERICAN CITIZENS and LEGAL immigrants, have to obey the law?!

Moreover, why would workers terrorize the place of their livelihood? Anti-immigrant groups are simply guising their skewed beliefs in the sinister cloak of terrorism.
    Because work is not their main agenda?
    I guess this writer missed the millions in the street demanding their "entitlements," their rights. A good number of these workers throw down their jobs to respond to radical and Communist leaders.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)