Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

WI: Walker budget cuts in-state tuition for undocumented stu

Walker budget cuts in-state tuition for undocumented students

By Georgia Pabst of the Journal Sentinel
    March 2, 2011 10:37 a.m. |(19) Comments

Among the many provisions in his proposed state budget, Gov. Scott Walker wants to repeal a law that allows some undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at public universities.

After years of battling to get that measure passed, Gov. Jim Doyle signed it into law in 2009. Before that students who were undocumented were charged out of state tuition, even if they had attended Wisconsin high schools and made good grades.

The measure drew so much passion that in 2007 Jesus Salas, a longtime Latino activist and member of the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents, resigned in protest over its failure to pass.

Christine Neumann-Ortiz, the executive director of Voces de la Frontera, an advocacy group that worked for years to get the bill passed, was quick to react.

"We fought for the historic inclusion of immigrant youth in higher education, and we will fight to defend their civil rights and dreams," she said in a press release issued Wednesday.

She called the measure part of Walker's "cynical attempt to scapegoat workers and students for the economic troubles caused by many of his own corporate backers."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117242318.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Christine Neumann-Ortiz, the executive director of Voces de la Frontera, an advocacy group that worked for years to get the bill passed, was quick to react.
    Oh I'm sure she was quick to react! Any threat to the gravy train for illegals rattles their cage.

Let's look at the other side of the coin shall we Ms. Neumann-Ortiz? Those same "students" spent 12 years getting a free education, not to mention they were most likely recipiants of the free lunch and breakfast programs. Mommy and Daddy most likely collected Foodstamps, WIC and Medicare for those same kids ALL their lives! I didn't hear you mention the "Economic Troubles", theses hardships placed on the State Coffers now did I?

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    Oh I'm sure she was quick to react! Any threat to the gravy train for illegals rattles their cage.

Let's look at the other side of the coin shall we Ms. Neumann-Ortiz? Those same "students" spent 12 years getting a free education, not to mention they were most likely recipiants of the free lunch and breakfast programs. Mommy and Daddy most likely collected Foodstamps, WIC and Medicare for those same kids ALL their lives! I didn't hear you mention the "Economic Troubles", theses hardships placed on the State Coffers now did I?
    Exactly. Great post, nomas.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

good! wisconsin is looking better each day, hope this new repub gov stops wisconsin from issuing drivers licenses to illegals too.