Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Will family police be next for Culpeper?

http://www.starexponent.com/servlet/Sat ... 9190594935

Will family police be next for Culpeper?
    Allison Brophy Champion
    Staff Writer
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006

In light of recent complaints from citizens regarding over-crowding in single family homes, Culpeper Town Council Tuesday night unanimously agreed to look into the possibility of creating a new town position - a “zoning enforcement official.”

By an 8-0 vote, Council referred the proposal to the planning committee for further consideration at its meeting later this month. Town Councilman Jim Risner was absent.

The motion to create the position came from Town Councilman Steve Jenkins, who in recent weeks has led a movement to crack down on illegal immigration at the local level.

“I think it’s been spelled out what our citizens expect us to do,” he said, referencing a petition with 164 signatures in support of his proposals, which among other things would fine employers for hiring undocumented immigrants and penalize landlords for housing them.

“And if I had held my meeting at the high school football stadium, I would probably have 2,000 signatures,” he added of the illegal immigration forum he held Sept. 2 at the library.

Jenkins encouraged Council to enforce its zoning ordinance “zealously and with fairness” regarding multiple family members occupying single-family homes. He says the issue is one of public safety and law.

The town’s current ordinance allows for “one or more persons related by blood, marriage, adoption or guardianship, including servants and caregivers.” In addition, the zoning law permits two boarders per household and up to eight “mentally or developmentally challenged persons” living together in a group home.

“Please follow your ordinances,” said town resident Patricia Baker. “I am not here to talk about illegal immigration. I am in my 22nd year of paying taxes in this town, and you all have an obligation to me as a taxpayer to enforce your ordinances.”

Baker also addressed Council last month, bringing concerns of over-crowded conditions in her neighborhood and decreased property values because of it.

“I’ve heard there could be 20 people living in one house - that could be unsafe,” added town resident Aaron Gresso during the public comment session Tuesday night.

Council also heard from David Marciniak of Blue Ridge Avenue.
    “I really don’t think it’s the place of a governing body to define a family,” he said, while agreeing that he would endorse overcrowding enforcement based on zoning laws.

At the same time, said Marciniak, the recent outcry over illegal immigration in Culpeper has been “blown out of proportion.”

“I moved here from Arizona a year ago, and I’m not really seeing a problem here,” he said. “Before Town Council takes any actions or spends money to enact mandates that can’t stand up in court, you need to take a measured look at this.”

Dr. Mindy Erchull, also of Blue Ridge Avenue, suspected there was something deeper to the whole issue of multiple families living together in single-family households.

“The argument needs to be reframed,” she said. “The issue behind it is not really public safety - it’s illegal immigration.”
    Steve Peacock of Elmwood Drive insisted just the opposite.

“It’s not about race or illegal immigration,” he said. “I have 13 people living in house right across the street from me.”

The cars they drive are not registered in Virginia, Peacock said, and “different people come and go all night.”

“We have to educate the Hispanic community that we have ordinances, because this is starting to ruin our neighborhoods,” Peacock said, mentioning “blight, trash” and lawns not getting mowed.

“It’s not race-based at all,” he told Council. “If you had that situation next to your home, you’d be complaining too because it drives down your property value.”

Lakeview resident Jerry Beckett, who recently moved to Culpeper from California, warned Council to not let undocumented immigrants overwhelm the system like in his former state.

“If we don’t take a stand here in Culpeper, be prepared to pay higher taxes and to be a stranger in your own land.”

In a related matter, Town Council unanimously voted to join the Culpeper County Board of Supervisors in sending a letter to Culpeper’s representatives in U.S. Congress, requesting guidance on dealing with illegal immigration at the local level.

“I would certainly like to see it and I would like our attorney to see it,” Councilman Duke duFrane said of the letter before it’s mailed.

While he thought the issue of illegal immigration was important, duFrane said he didn’t want the town to incur excessive legal costs while attempting to address it.

Finally, Council acknowledged a letter from the Immigrant Coalition of Culpeper, requesting that the town not consider enacting laws that would make it “illegal to hire or house anyone without proof of legal residency.”

“For Culpeper to go down this slippery slope means children will eventually be denied schooling, people will be turned away from hospitals during medical emergencies, and entire communities will be stigmatized,” the Coalition writes in it letter, dated Sept. 1.

The letter was not read aloud at Tuesday’s meeting, but its contents were incorporated into the official record.

Allison Brophy Champion can be reached at 825-0771 ext. 101 or abrophy@starexponent.com

In other action from Tuesday night’s meeting

By a vote of 6-2, Town Council voted to move forward with the design of a two-pool facility at the county’s sport complex on U.S. 29 - an indoor lap pool and outdoor leisure pool.

At the same time, Council capped its future funding of the $6 million project to $2 million, including design fees. Town Councilman Chip Coleman and Steve Jenkins voted against the proposal, but for different reasons.

Jenkins felt the $2 million was perhaps too big of a commitment and Coleman, a longtime advocate for the public pool project, wished Council had waited awhile to commit to an exact amount.

“But hey, $2 million is a lot of money, and I commend Council for taking this step,” Coleman said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I always thought there were laws as to how many people could live in a dwelling by square footage or something. There are neighborhoods for 55 and over that aren't allowed to have children in it. Visits yes....but no live ins. They can tell you if you can have a pet, if you can smoke or not. There's been ones that won't allow more than one vehicle per unit. There's people that are fined because their grass is too long. I can't do anything on my property without permits. Can't burn my leaves. There's rules everywhere..............this is safety and health and I don't understand why they find it so difficult to enforce housing laws.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

“It’s not about race or illegal immigration,” he said. “I have 13 people living in house right across the street from me.”
    What about the citizens, why should they have to live like this???

“If we don’t take a stand here in Culpeper, be prepared to pay higher taxes and to be a stranger in your own land.”
    Amen!
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

These ordinances were put into existance to maintain a certain "quality of life" for American citizens. They have not been enforced and it definitey effects the quality of life and value of houses in neighborhoods. They need to be enforced.

If 20 illegal aliens lived in the houses next door to these people in Congress and devalued their neighborhoods and quality of life.....they'd be screaming like stuck pigs !!

But what can it be ? The average American isn't entitled to have their quality of life and the value of their homes protected ?

Do you think Bush's neighborhood would approve putting in a motel next door to his ranch ?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0906/360494.html

Town Council Moves Ahead with Immigration Actions
    Wednesday September 13, 2006 7:10am

CULPEPER, Va. (AP) - Culpeper Town Council has voted to ask the Culpeper area's congressional delegation for federal intervention and assistance as local officials consider cracking down on illegal immigration.

The council also agreed Tuesday night to look into hiring a zoning enforcement officer to investigate violations of an ordinance governing extended family members or unrelated people in single homes.

The town's existing ordinance generally prohibits more than five unrelated people from living together.

Culpeper Councilman Steve Jenkins is pushing to hold accountable landlords and employers who house or hire undocumented residents.

He says undocumented residents are a financial drain on schools, social services and courts.

Local Hispanics and others have protested Jenkins' efforts, saying undocumented residents pay sales and gas taxes and they pay into Social Security for benefits they are unlikely to ever collect.

Congressman Eric Cantor said last week that he's willing to help solve what he calls a growing national crisis. Town Council voted to also ask Senators John Warner and George Allen for help.

---
    Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Local Hispanics and others have protested Jenkins' efforts, saying undocumented residents pay sales and gas taxes and they pay into Social Security for benefits they are unlikely to ever collect.
    Well how do you expect to collect social security when you are using someone else's SSN. Big babies!!! it doesn't feel so good to be the victim now does it!
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Shouldn't we all send them a "Thank You" letter for paying sales and gas taxes?......like they have a choice. As far as SS, they are getting far more benefits from the government than most of us will ever see.