Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Women featured in immigration documentary denied visas

http://www.moviecitynews.com/Notepad/20 ... 07_pr.html

March 7, 2006

For Immediate Release

Women featured in immigration documentary denied visas; can not attend SXSW screenings

"A much-needed examination of the collateral damage of illegal immigration ... sensitive ... effective and emotionally potent."
    - John Anderson, Variety

After successful screenings and reviews at Slamdance, LETTERS FROM THE OTHER SIDE will be screening at the 2006 SXSW Film Festival beginning March 10, although the women featured in the documentary will not be able to attend. The U.S. Consulate in Mexico City has denied their visa applications, despite letters from the director of the film, SXSW, and assistance from Congressman Lloyd Doggett’s office.

“Unfortunately, the failed attempt to get visas for the women in my film echoes some of the themes of the film which is how difficult it is for a Mexican to be able to enter this country legally. It’s nearly impossible,” says the film’s director Heather Courtney.

LETTERS FROM THE OTHER SIDE interweaves video letters carried across the U.S.-Mexico border by the film's director with the personal stories of women left behind in post-NAFTA Mexico.

In one video letter exchange, a U.S. Homeland Security official watches a video of Laura, a Mexican woman whose husband died in 2003 along with 18 others in the worst immigrant smuggling case in U.S. history. "How many more deaths does it take for the U.S. government to do something?" she asks.

Director Heather Courtney interacts with her subjects through her unobtrusive camera, providing an intimate look at the lives of the people most affected by today's immigration and trade policies. Her use of video letters provides a way for these women to communicate with both loved ones and strangers on the other side of the border, and illustrates how as an American she can carry these video letters back and forth across a border that these women are not legally allowed to cross.

The immigration debate is heating up again, with the U.S. House recently passing a bill that includes building 700 miles of fence along the U.S.-Mexico border. By focusing on a side of the immigration story rarely told by the media or touched upon in our national debate, LETTERS offers a fresh perspective, painting a complex portrait of families torn apart by economics, communities dying at the hands of globalization, and governments incapable or unwilling to do anything about it.

LETTERS FROM THE OTHER SIDE is a co-production of Front Porch Films and KERA-Dallas/Fort Worth, in association with the Independent Television Service (ITVS).
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

In one video letter exchange, a U.S. Homeland Security official watches a video of Laura, a Mexican woman whose husband died in 2003 along with 18 others in the worst immigrant smuggling case in U.S. history. "How many more deaths does it take for the U.S. government to do something?" she asks.
    The question should be: how many innocent American deaths at the hands of illegal aliens for the U.S. government to do something? As far she is concerned, why not ask HER MEXICAN GOVERNMENT this question, they are the ones encouraging and driving them to cross over ILLEGALLY. I really have no sympathy for anyone who voluntarily chooses to break laws to enter the U.S. ILLEGALLY, the same as if a burgalar gets shot and killed while robbing a home. I know this is cold hearted, but I have heard, seen and read about too many innocent Americans getting injured and killed by lawbreaking illegals, criminals, gang bangers, drunk drivers, smugglers and otherwise. I have known too many friends and relatives who have had their homes, cars, jobs and livelihoods robbed by illegals.

If, on the other hand, they were to die in Mexico fighting against the corruption and incompetence of their system, I would have a great deal of respect and sympathy, but I can't really shed a tear for people who come here ILLEGALLY; work here ILLEGALLY; drive here ILLEGALLY (especially when the kill innocent Americans in their DUI, Hit & Run and alien smuggling crashes); commit crimes while here ILLEGALLY: by raping, molesting, carjacking, murdering, kidnapping, drive-by shooting, robbing, stealing, shoplifting, identity thieving, etc.; get welfare benefits ILLEGALLY, have endless numbers of freeloading anchor babies while here ILLEGALLY, bankrupting and closing hospital after hospital with all their uninsured medical needs, etc.

Call me cold hearted, but I sure never hear any Mexican, legal or illegal ever shed a tear or offer condolences when an American is killed by their ILLEGAL amigos. We sure don't see any sympathy by their corrupt government over the numbers of Americans harmed, injured, killed, layed-off, denied medical care, etc. due to their ILLEGAL ALIEN CITIZENS invading our country.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€