5 shot at candlelight vigil for Baltimore shooting victim

A gunman opened fire in Baltimore Monday night, shooting four women and one man who were attending a candlelight vigil for another shooting victim, 24-year-old Jermaine Scofield, pictured here. (WJZ) more >

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A gunman opened fire in Baltimore Monday night, shooting four women and one man who were attending a candlelight vigil for another shooting victim, police said.

Baltimore Police Detective Donny Moses said someone “maliciously and foolishly walked into the crowd and opened fire,” a local CBS News affiliate reported.

The victims, ranging in age from 20 to 48, were shot at 6:35 p.m. in the 1800 block of West North Avenue. Their wounds were not considered life-threatening, a local NBC News affiliate reported.

About 25 people had gathered to honor 24-year-old Jermaine Scofield, who was killed early Sunday morning at the same location.

“Here you are, coming together to have prayer, then, all of a sudden, gunfire comes. It’s not a pretty sight,” said the Rev. Keith Bailey, president of the neighborhood association. “There were some bullets [that came] from everywhere, and we saw the people screaming. We don’t know where they came from.”

Police said an officer had left the vigil just before the shooting. No arrests have been made.

“We’re still trying to locate witnesses, so this investigation is open, ongoing, and at the moment, still up in the air. We’re hoping to get some information that will point us to who this shooter is,” Detective Moses said.

“We know somebody saw something,” he said.

Mr. Scofield was among three people killed in Baltimore early Sunday. His mother begged for no retaliation.

“It’s not going to bring my son back. I just want to bury my son,” she told The Baltimore Sun.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...more-shooting/