Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Ben Nelson — Crucial 60th Senate Vote — Defects on Obama

Ben Nelson — Crucial 60th Senate Vote — Defects on Obama Plan

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:50 AM

By: Jim Meyers

Democrats in the Senate may have a filibuster-proof 60-vote majority when healthcare reform comes up for a vote, but at least one Democrat is telling party leaders not to count on him to be the 60th vote.

Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska told The Hill newspaper: "I'm not going to commit anything at this point in time on procedural votes, neither pro nor con, because it will depend on the circumstances.

"I can't make those decisions in advance because it depends on what the bill is and what the circumstances are at the time. Otherwise you're just giving away your vote no matter what the underlying circumstance is, and I'm just not prepared to do that."

The Senate currently has 40 Republicans and 57 Democrats, plus independent Democrat Joe Lieberman of Connecticut and independent Bernie Sanders of Vermont, who both caucus with the Democrats. Sen. Ted Kennedy's seat from Massachusetts is vacant.

Democrats are hoping that Maine Republican Olympia Snowe will join them in backing their healthcare reform proposals. But if she does not, Democrats could still get to 60 votes if Massachusetts changes its law to allow for an appointment to fill Kennedy's seat.

"Even if Democrats employ reconciliation rules — the partisan budget procedure that allows for bills to pass with just 51 votes — they will still need 60 votes to overcome points of order Republicans are crafting in an effort to torpedo healthcare reform," The Hill observed.

Democrat Claire McCaskill of Missouri, who like Nelson has often broken with party leaders on Senate votes, could also be a problem for Democrats. She has stated: "I've said all along that whatever kind of healthcare we have has to be paid for, so I don't think I'd vote to cut off a filibuster that was objecting to a bill that wasn't paid for."

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/nelson ... 57919.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

leave our health care alone

God Bless all the politicans that vote against this horrible bill that we never voted for, etc.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)