Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Britain faces summer of rage - police

Britain faces summer of rage - police

Middle-class anger at economic crisis could erupt into violence on streets

* Paul Lewis
    * The Guardian, Monday 23 February 2009

Protesters clash with police in London in January over Israel's action in Gaza. Such scenes could become more common sights in the UK. Photograph: Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images

Police are preparing for a "summer of rage" as victims of the economic downturn take to the streets to demonstrate against financial institutions, the Guardian has learned.

Britain's most senior police officer with responsibility for public order raised the spectre of a return of the riots of the 1980s, with people who have lost their jobs, homes or savings becoming "footsoldiers" in a wave of potentially violent mass protests.

Superintendent David Hartshorn, who heads the Metropolitan police's public order branch, told the Guardian that middle-class individuals who would never have considered joining demonstrations may now seek to vent their anger through protests this year.

He said that banks, particularly those that still pay large bonuses despite receiving billions in taxpayer money, had become "viable targets". So too had the headquarters of multinational companies and other financial institutions in the City which are being blamed for the financial crisis.

Hartshorn, who receives regular intelligence briefings on potential causes of civil unrest, said the mood at some demonstrations had changed recently, with activists increasingly "intent on coming on to the streets to create public disorder".

The warning comes in the wake of often violent protests against the handling of the economy across Europe. In recent weeks Greek farmers have blocked roads over falling agricultural prices, a million workers in France joined demonstrations to demand greater protection for jobs and wages and Icelandic demonstrators have clashed with police in Reykjavik.

In the UK hundreds of oil refinery workers mounted wildcat strikes last month over the use of foreign workers.

Intelligence reports suggest that "known activists" are also returning to the streets, and police claim they will foment unrest. "Those people would be good at motivating people, but they haven't had the 'footsoldiers' to actually carry out [protests]," Hartshorn said. "Obviously the downturn in the economy, unemployment, repossessions, changes that. Suddenly there is the opportunity for people to mass protest.

"It means that where we would possibly look at certain events and say, 'yes there'll be a lot of people there, there'll be a lot of banner waving, but generally it will be peaceful', [now] we have to make sure these elements don't come out and hijack that event and turn that into disorder."

Hartshorn identified April's G20 meeting of the group of leading and developing nations in London as an event that could kick-start a challenging summer. "We've got G20 coming and I think that is being advertised on some of the sites as the highlight of what they see as a 'summer of rage'," he said.

His comments are likely to be met with disappointment by protest groups, who in recent weeks have complained that police are adopting a more confrontational approach at demonstrations. Officers have been accused of exaggerating the threat posed by activists to justify the use of resources spent on them.

Police were said to have been heavy-handed at Greek solidarity marches in London in December and, last month, at protests against Israel's invasion of Gaza. In August 1,000 officers, helicopters and riot horses were drafted to Kent from 26 UK police forces to oversee the climate camp demonstration against the Kingsnorth power station. The massive operation to monitor the protesters cost £5.9m and resulted in 100 arrests. But in December the government was forced to apologise to parliament after the Guardian revealed that its claims that 70 officers had been hurt in violent clashes were wrong.

However, Hartshorn insisted: "Potentially there will be more industrial actions ... History shows that some of those disputes - Wapping, the miners' strike - have caused great tensions in the community and the police have had difficult times policing and maintaining law and order."

Both "extreme rightwing and extreme leftwing" elements are looking to "use the fact that people are out of jobs" to galvanise support, he said.

A particularly worrying development was the re-emergence of individuals involved in the violent fascist organisation Combat 18, he said. "They are using the fact that there's been lots of talk about eastern European people coming in and taking jobs on the Olympic sites," he said. "They're using those type of arguments to look at getting support."

Hartshorn said he also expected large-scale demonstrations this year on environmental issues, with hardcore green activists "joining forces" with middle-class campaigners over issues such as airport expansion at Heathrow and Stansted. With the prospect of angry demonstrations against the economy, that could open the door to powerful coalitions.

"All you've got to do then is link in with the environmentalists, and look at the oil companies. They're seen to be turning over billions of pounds profit in issues that are seen to be against the environment."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/2 ... -recession
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Police fear mass protests and a 'summer of rage' in response

Police fear mass protests and a 'summer of rage' in response to economic crisis

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 2:08 PM on 23rd February 2009

* Comments (112)

Police are bracing themselves for a 'summer of rage' against the economic crisis, a senior officer warned today.

Superintendent David Hartshorn, who heads the Metropolitan Police's public order branch, said he feared there could be 'mass protest' at rising unemployment, failing financial institutions and the downturn in the economy.

The officer told The Guardian that 'known activists' were planning returns to the streets, and intelligence revealed that they may be able to call on more protesters than normal due to the unprecedented conditions.

Thousands of workers demonstrating in Dublin on Saturday. Police fear the worsening economic situation will lead to mass street protests in the UK

He said: 'Those people would be good at motivating people, but they haven't had the "footsoldiers" to actually carry out (protests).

More... (These are links; go to the link below to view them)

* JAMES SLACK: Yes we are raging - against a Government that spies on its citizens while ignoring the crimes of greedy bankers
    * CHARLOTTE LESLIE: I have seen the rising pulse of anger in suburban streets
    * Jackie Stewart refuses to give up £4m RBS contract as bank prepares to axe 30,000 jobs
    * Jackie Stewart refuses to give up £4m RBS contract as bank prepares to axe 30,000 jobs
    * Mandy dragged into row over £30m bail-out for van firm owned by Russian oligarch friend
    * Restraint? HSBC and Barclays line up £2bn in bonuses for staff

'Obviously the downturn in the economy, unemployment, repossessions, changes that. Suddenly there is the opportunity for people to mass protest.'

Mr Hartshorn, who is regularly briefed on potential causes of civil unrest, singled out April's G20 summit of the leading developed nations in London as one of the events that could kick start a series of protests.

'We've got G20 coming and I think that is being advertised on some of the sites as the highlight of what they see as a "summer of rage",' he said.

Protesters expressed anger at being made to pay for the folly of those who caused the financial collapse

The officer added that banks, particularly those that still pay large bonuses despite receiving billions of aid from the taxpayer, had also become 'viable targets for protesters.

Other parts of Europe have already seen large-scale protests against the handling of the economy.

Up to 120,000 people marched through Dublin on Saturday in an emotional and angry national demonstration over the Irish Government's handling of the economic crisis.

In the UK earlier this month, hundreds of oil refinery and power station workers carried out a series of wildcat strikes over the use of foreign workers.

And across the Channel in France, a million people joined demonstrations to demand greater protection for jobs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... risis.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wonder where the anger and rage is in the US? No one shows Washington DC that we have had enough with the force they do over there. I do what I can like everyone here but Marches are effective. I'm not saying violence but like the Illegals did a while back. Obama just gives us a Bogus Stimulous Package and he says...There you go be happy and prosper. 13.00 a week doesn't pay for my family to have the McDonald's Dollar Menu.

When Americans are suffering to the point of breaking it's going to happen here.
    LOU DOBBS!

Quote Originally Posted by StarwalkerFallenAngel
    I wonder where the anger and rage is in the US?
    It's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamtnwoman
    I wonder where the anger and rage is in the US?
    It's coming.
    If anyone out there even feels half the rage I do, then I'd say the feeling is palpable across the board.

Yes, I know it's brewing. It's really scary but I think it may be the only thing to wake the ......(insert word here for politicians) ...SEE that we are Sick of all this.

I see it in the eyes of my sons and daughter. Well, all of us. Including my 90 year old dad. He's a decorated WWII vet and one day he cried and said...What did I fight so hard for? This??? Maybe CNN isn't a good idea to let him watch.

I'm afraid when it lets go it's going to be big...REALLY BIG!

I wonder when it's all going to explode?
    LOU DOBBS!

I see it in the eyes of my sons and daughter. Well, all of us. Including my 90 year old dad. He's a decorated WWII vet and one day he cried and said...What did I fight so hard for? This??? Maybe CNN isn't a good idea to let him watch.
    Starwalker, that is so sad about your dad. Brings tears to my eyes when I think of all the vets who fought and died and now this. I hope we can still salvage what is left of this country that we have all been SO lucky to live in.

I wonder where the anger and rage is in the US? No one shows Washington DC that we have had enough with the force they do over there. I do what I can like everyone here but Marches are effective. I'm not saying violence but like the Illegals did a while back. Obama just gives us a Bogus Stimulous Package and he says...There you go be happy and prosper. 13.00 a week doesn't pay for my family to have the McDonald's Dollar Menu.

When Americans are suffering to the point of breaking it's going to happen here.
    This is off point, but you have the most beautiful avator that I have seen. I love it !
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The longer it simmers the bigger it is going to blow. Be prepared, be watchful, be ready.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hi, Thank you for the compliment on my Avatar. I play a little with PSPX.

I have been getting ready for quite a while. Food, drinks, alternative heat source and well as ammunition, medical supplies, paper products. You name it I've got it.

FYI-Fish antibiotics are the SAME as human meds. They are sold online.
    LOU DOBBS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast