Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

CAN: Crackdown on weapons smugg could help B.C. war on drugs

Crackdown on weapons smuggling could help B.C. war on drugs

By Lena Sin, Canwest News ServiceApril 19, 2009

VANCOUVER - U.S. President Barack Obama's push to crack down on weapons smuggling is an encouraging move that could help British Columbia's war on drugs, according to a political science professor. But others aren't so sure and say Obama's announcement is nothing more than ``smoke and mirrors.''

Last week, Obama backed Mexico's war on its violent drug cartels, calling for a crackdown on weapons trafficking and admitting shared responsibility.

Obama said in Mexico Thursday he would ask the U.S. Senate to ratify a long- stalled regional arms trafficking treaty following Mexican requests to stem the flow of U.S. guns to its drug cartels.

The 1997 arms treaty requires countries to take a number of steps to reduce the illegal manufacture and trade in guns, ammunition and explosives. The treaty also calls for countries to adopt strict licensing requirements, mark firearms to make them easier to trace and establish information-sharing processes between national law-enforcement agencies investigating arms smuggling.

Canada and 32 other nations have already signed the 12-year-old treaty.

The U.S. is one of four countries yet to ratify the convention, formally known as the Inter-American Convention Against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives and other Related Items.

``I'm very encouraged by this development because it signals a U.S. administration that's willing to stand up to the gun lobby,'' said Michael Byers, a University of B.C. political science professor. ``The resistance to any restrictions (on gun control) has impeded the kind of co-operation we need.

``We've had a focus on stopping drugs from moving across the border but we haven't addressed in any substantial way the counter-flow of guns. And obviously, people do not kill people with marijuana. They kill them with guns.''

But Gary Mauser, a Simon Fraser University professor emeritus who has studied the issue of gun control, says even if the U.S. Senate ratifies the treaty, ``it won't change anything on the ground.''

``There's a large number of rules and regulations regarding firearms,'' says Mauser. ``But criminals have no interest in following those rules and there are people who will violate those laws to sell them to (criminals) because it's big business.''

Mauser says change will only be made if the U.S. and Canada commit significant resources to anti-smuggling investigations.

B.C.'s alarming increase in shootings in public places - most often by gang members involved in the drug trade - has become a pressing safety concern.

As well, the gun violence can be partly attributed to the greater access to illegal guns that are either sourced locally or smuggled in from the U.S., according to the report titled The Illegal Movement of Firearms in B.C.

The report, commissioned by the provincial government and released in February, also said B.C. police don't have enough resources to conduct major investigations on gun trafficking.

In response, the B.C. government announced in February it will establish a new weapons enforcement unit to investigate crimes involving illegal guns.

lsin@theprovince.com/with files from AFP.

http://www.canada.com/Crackdown+weapons ... story.html

ELE

Hold onto our Constitution!

The American people better hold onto their guns for dear life, it is only a matter of time before Obama's Washington tries to take them away!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gun Smuggling

Obami and his commie friends are not going to take anything from me. Nor will I comply with any international B.S. that requires me to register or otherwise identify what I have firearms wise. Anyone entering my home for the purposes of searching or violating my constitutional rights will get what they have coming. And I know many others who feel the same way. When laws are unjust then it is the responsibility of free citizens to ignore or actively oppose them. Without our guns we are slaves, inviting oppression at the least and genocide at the worst.

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Havoc, please stay cool man, this is about weapons smuggling not comming to get your guns.

Gun treaties

Sorry if I offended you ShockedinCalifornia. However I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the article. I researched the treaty that Obama wants to ratify. It can be referenced here in it's entirety http://www.oas.org/juridico/English/treaties/a-63.html.

Most of these articles are already dealt with by current U.S. law, however, notice article XI which references recordkeeping. I believe this could replace current privacy rules inherent in U.S. gun laws and open us up to international edicts. Remember that we are facing a cunning and determined enemy, that is working hand in hand with global elitists. They know that to attempt a wholesale revision of gun laws is political suicide and so they will act in increments. Enacting this treaty sets a precedent by allowing international law to trump our 2nd amendment and that is the wedge that will be used to attempt to break the granite.

Here is their strategy:

First, identify the guns, then tax and regulate them, third eliminate them through taxation or outright confiscation, Fourth, god only knows. This has been the method of choice in other countries, and I have no doubt it will be here. I think you underestimate the lengths to which these devils will go. We have been granted a precious gift here and if we let it go for any reason then we deserve what we get. NO compromise, NO retreat.