Dr. Dobson is livid with GOP

His advice about child-rearing, marriage and faith has been sought by parents and presidents alike.

But Dr. James Dobson says Karl Rove and the Republican "political bosses" have been "vicious" and "disgraceful" this election season.
WND EXCLUSIVE

Dobson blasts 'vicious' GOP opposition to Akin

'It is my hope and prayer Missouri will send him to the U.S. Senate'

Published: 2 hours agoby Bob Unruh
Dr. James Dobson, whose advice about parenting, child-rearing, marriage and faith has guided millions of Americans and whose counsel on family matters has been sought by presidents, today blasted the Republican Party for abandoning a strong GOP candidate to be U.S. senator, U.S. Rep. Todd Akin.

Dobson, the founder and president of Family Talk, which produces his regular radio program, “Dr. James Dobson’s Family Talk,” told WND it is “disgraceful” that the “GOP political bosses” have told Akin to drop out of his race, have withdrawn financial support and publicly maligned the congressman.

“I regret to say that Congressman Akin has been subjected to disgraceful treatment at the hands of the GOP political bosses,” Dobson said. “They have withheld funds for his campaign, even though he won the GOP primary for the Senate seat. Karl Rove and Haley Barbour have said things about his character that are untrue. Their vicious opposition could get his Democratic opponent elected in his stead. That is curious since an Akin win could give the Senate majority to the Republicans.”

Akin has endured a gauntlet of rebuke during the past few weeks over what he explained was a misstatement in an interview, when he used the phrase “legitimate rape” (i.e., actual rape) as an awkward synonym for forcible rape.

He apologized repeatedly for the error, as well as for mentioning a controversial medical theory regarding rape and conception. He also made it clear he is remaining in the race against incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Democrat, and says he intends to win.

Dobson told WND he doesn’t minimize the unfortunate impact of Akin’s misstatement about rape and noted Akin has apologized profusely for his careless words.

“However, every one of us has experienced such a moment when thoughtless comments came out wrong. I certainly have,” he said “When conservatives make such a mistake they are rarely forgiven. The difference is that liberals typically do not apologize and are given a pass by the mainstream press.”

He continued, “Consider for example, Joe Biden’s recent gaffe about putting minorities back in chains. It is almost forgotten today, and he has not apologized. Furthermore, the vice president has not been asked to resign. Bill Clinton’s egregious sexual behavior in the Oval Office, and his committing perjury before a committee of Congress, did not prevent him from giving the keynote address at the 2012 Democratic National Convention. Who remembers the shocking disclosure of Monica Lewinsky’s stained blue dress today? Todd Akin, by contrast, will forever be plagued by having made a single verbal error, despite 16 years of honorable service in the U.S. House of Representatives. I think he deserves a little grace.”

Dobson is the author of dozens of books, including “The New Dare to Discipline”; “Love for a Lifetime”; “Life on the Edge”; “Love Must Be Tough”; “The New Strong-Willed Child”; “When God Doesn’t Make Sense”; “Bringing Up Boys”; “Marriage Under Fire”; “Bringing Up Girls”; and, most recently, “Head Over Heels.”

Former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich also recently endorsed Akin’s Senate run.

Akin was challenging for the lead in the Missouri Senate race when he made his misstatement. His poll numbers immediately plunged, but have since rebounded and many consider the race at this point a tossup.

A long list of GOP members railed against him, despite his apology.

According to one CNN report, five past and present Republican senators from Missouri, including John Danforth and Christopher Bond, wanted Akin to drop out.

The report cited senators Roy Blunt, Danforth, Bond, John Ashcroft and Jim Talent as saying, “We do not believe it serves the national interest for Congressman Todd Akin to stay in this race.”

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney also urged Akin to step aside. VP candidate Paul Ryan agreed, and was joined by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas.

Akin later explained in a radio ad, “Rape is an evil act; I used the wrong words in the wrong way. And for that, I apologize. As the father of two daughters, I want tough justice for predators, have a compassionate heart for the victims of sexual assault, and I pray for them. Fact is, rape could lead to pregnancy; the truth is rape has many victims. The mistake I made was in the words I said, not in the heart I hold. I ask for your forgiveness.”

Dobson on occasion steps into the political fray, recently offering some strong advice to GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Here is the totality of Dobson’s comments supporting Akin and blasting the GOP leadership:
“Speaking as a private individual, it is with deep respect and admiration that I hereby endorse Todd Akin for the U.S. Senate. This is the third time I have recommended him for national office, and for good reason. I have known the congressman for 16 years, and have found him to be an honest and decent man who has never wavered in his conservative beliefs. He is passionately pro-life, a defender of traditional marriage, and a consistent supporter of limited government. Todd and his wife Lulli have raised six remarkable children, including three who attended the United States Naval Academy. Two of them became Marine officers, and one is serving today in Afghanistan. This is an all-American family.

“I regret to say that Congressman Akin has been subjected to disgraceful treatment at the hands of the GOP political bosses. They have withheld funds for his campaign, even though he won the GOP Primary for the Senate seat. Karl Rove and Haley Barbour have said things about his character that are untrue. Their vicious opposition could get his Democratic opponent elected in his stead. That is curious since an Akin win could give the Senate majority to the Republicans.

“It is my hope and prayer that the people of Missouri will send Congressman Todd Akin to the U.S. Senate in November, where he will continue to distinguish himself as man of his word who can be trusted to do the right thing. I also implore Americans to give generously to the Akin campaign because he will get no help from the GOP establishment.

“If I lived in Missouri, Todd would most certainly get my vote.”

Dobson blasts ‘vicious’ GOP opposition to Akin