Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Drudge Report: Justice Antonin Scalia SCALIA PREDICTS RETURN OF INTERNMENT CAMPS

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Drudge Report: Justice Antonin Scalia SCALIA PREDICTS RETURN OF INTERNMENT CAMPS

Drudge Report

SCALIA PREDICTS RETURN OF INTERNMENT CAMPS

Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again

http://washingtonexaminer.com/justic...rticle/2543424
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Justice Antonin Scalia says World War II-style internment camps could happen again

By Joel Gehrke | FEBRUARY 4, 2014 AT 1:57 PM
    Topics: Beltway Confidential Supreme Court Antonin Scalia
    Beltway Confidential,Opinion,Joel Gehrke,Supreme Court,Antonin Scalia

Justice Antonin Scalia predicts that the Supreme Court will eventually authorize another a wartime abuse of civil rights such as the internment camps for Japanese Americans during World War II. (AP Photo)

"You are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again," Scalia told the University of Hawaii law school while discussing Korematsu v. United States, the ruling in which the court gave its imprimatur to the internment camps.

The local Associated Press report quotes Scalia as using a Latin phrase that means "in times of war, the laws fall silent," to explain why the court erred in that decision and will do so again.

"That's what was going on — the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot," Scalia said. "That's what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again, in time of war. It's no justification but it is the reality."

The late U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, who was Japanese-American, was not among those sent to the camps but was declared an "enemy alien." When he got the chance to fight for his country in World War II, he jumped at it, eventually earning a Medal of Honor for "conspicuous gallantry" near San Terenzo, Italy, in 1945. "I was angered to realize that my government thought that I was disloyal and part of the enemy, and I wanted to be able to demonstrate not only to my government but to my neighbors that I was a good American," Inouye told Ken Burns in "The War," as quoted by Reuters.

You should read his Medal of Honor citation here.

CORRECTION
    : This post has been updated to reflect that Inouye was not sent to the internment camps, and that Inouye was awarded the Medal of Honor in 1945, not 1942. The Washington Examiner regrets the errors.

Web URL: http://stage.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2543424

Share this article on Facebook or Twitter

http://washingtonexaminer.com/justic...rticle/2543424
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

No Conspiracy Here: Sitting Supreme Court Justice Thinks U.S. Government Would Intern Americans Again

February 4, 2014 by Ben Bullard

If you’re among those Americans who believe the government hasn’t evolved past the days when it resorted to rounding up entire categories of people and holding them captive for the sake of political expediency, you’re in good company. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia agrees.

Speaking Monday at the University of Hawaii, Scalia addressed the High Court’s 1944 ruling that upheld the government’s internment of Americans of Japanese descent during WWII.

Asked about the case – Korematsu v. United States, which upheld the conviction of two would-be internment victims who didn’t report for their quarantine – Scalia didn’t mince words.
    “Well, of course Korematsu was wrong. And I think we have repudiated it in a later case,” Scalia said, before saying this:

“But you are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again…That’s what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again, in time of war. It’s no justification, but it is the reality.”

So much for the “Black Helicopter” crowd existing only outside of Washington, D.C.

Filed Under: Liberty News, Staff Reports

http://personalliberty.com/2014/02/0...ericans-again/

Justice Scalia: You Are ‘Kidding Yourself’ If You Think World War II-Style Internment Camps Will Never Happen Again

Feb. 4, 2014 8:00pm Jason Howerton

HONOLULU (TheBlaze/AP) — Don’t fool yourself into believing that the Supreme Court will never again allow a wartime violation of civil rights like it did in allowing internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia warned law students at the University of Hawaii on Monday.

FILE – In this March 8, 2012 file phoo, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia speaks at Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn. Scalia says the nation’s highest court was wrong 70 years ago to uphold the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II. But he told students and faculty at the University of Hawaii’s law school on Monday, Feb. 3, 2014, the case came during a time of panic about the war. Scalia says he wouldn’t be surprised if the court ruled similarly during another conflict. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill, File)

Scalia said the nation’s highest court was wrong to uphold the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II, but something similar could easily happen during a future conflict.

In a 1944 decision in Korematsu v. United States, the Supreme Court upheld the convictions of Gordon Hirabayashi and Fred Korematsu for violating an order to report to an internment camp.

He also cited a Latin expression meaning, “In times of war, the laws fall silent.”

“Well of course Korematsu was wrong. And I think we have repudiated in a later case. But you are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again,” Scalia told students and faculty during a lunchtime Q-and-A session.

“That’s what was going on – the panic about the war and the invasion of the Pacific and whatnot. That’s what happens. It was wrong, but I would not be surprised to see it happen again, in time of war. It’s no justification, but it is the reality,” he added, according to the Associated Press.

Avi Soifer, the law school’s dean, said he believed Scalia was suggesting people always have to be vigilant and that the law alone can’t be trusted to provide protection.

Soifer said it’s good to hear Scalia say the Korematsu ruling was wrong, noting the justice has been among those who have reined in the power of military commissions regardless of the administration.
    “We do need a court that sometimes will say there are individual or group rights that are not being adequately protected by the democratic process,” Soifer said.

Scalia was appointed to the nation’s highest court in 1986, making him the longest-serving justice currently on the court.

(H/T: Washington Examiner)

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...-happen-again/

Justice Scalia warns WWII-style internment camps could return

Wednesday, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM EST

Is America about to witness a frightening instance of history repeating itself? According to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, maybe. During a speech at the University of Hawaii on Monday, Justice Scalia warned the Supreme Court could approve a wartime violation of civil rights like it did in allowing internment camps for Japanese-Americans during World War II.
    The Supreme Court’s 1944 decision in Korematsu v. United States upheld the convictions of Gordon Hirabayashi and Fred Korematsu for violating orders to report to an internment camp. While Scalia said the Supreme Court was wrong to uphold the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II, something similar could easily happen during a future conflict.
    “Well of course Korematsu was wrong. And I think we have repudiated in a later case,” he said. “But you are kidding yourself if you think the same thing will not happen again.”
    Glenn has long spoken about the importance of Americans being aware of and familiar with the tragedies and massacres that have been orchestrated by the United States government in order to ensure history (like internment camps) does not repeat itself. His newest book, Miracles and Massacres: True and Untold Stories of the Making of America deals with that very theme.

Video at the Page Link:

“Excuse me? Excuse me? Now, this is the case that we make in Miracles and Massacres. In fact, he used the Latin ‘In times of war the laws are silent.’ That’s the name of one of the chapters in Miracles and Massacres… In the book we said, ‘We’ve got to learn from this because we’re about to repeat it again.’ And we gave evidence… We’re starting to do it again,” Glenn said. “And I know when I say it, it’s crazy. And I’m sure because Scalia is crazy and a warmonger or whatever he is, I’m sure it’s going to be called crazy too. But does it not wake anybody new up?”
    The danger Justice Scalia discusses is not simply a big government, progressive problem; it is an inherent problem with human nature. Whether you look back in history to the slavery debate and Manifest Destiny or look at today’s conversations about abortion, human nature hasn’t changed.
    “[It’s the feeling of] ‘we know we’re right, and if you don’t agree with us, there’s no place for you.’ That’s why Scalia is saying it’s going to happen again. Because human nature doesn’t change. I’m sorry. The progressives are wrong. Man does not progress,” Glenn said. “Every human starts with the same problems, the same flaws. We don’t progress past that. We have that in our basic nature. And it is for each individual to conquer that. And so you have to conquer it over and over and over and over again.”

http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/02/05/...-could-return/