Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots

The Emergence of President Obama's Muslim Roots

June 02, 2009 6:58 PM

ABC News' Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller report: The other day we heard a comment from a White House aide that never would have been uttered during the primaries or general election campaign.

During a conference call in preparation for President Obama's trip to Cairo, Egypt, where he will address the Muslim world, deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications Denis McDonough said "the President himself experienced Islam on three continents before he was able to -- or before he's been able to visit, really, the heart of the Islamic world -- you know, growing up in Indonesia, having a Muslim father -- obviously Muslim Americans (are) a key part of Illinois and Chicago."

Given widespread unease and prejudice against Muslims among Americans, especially in the wake of 9/11, the Obama campaign was perhaps understandably very sensitive during the primaries and general election to downplay the candidate's Muslim roots.

The candidate was even offended when referred to by his initials "BHO," because he considered the use of his middle name, "Hussein," an attempt to frighten voters.

With insane rumors suggesting he was some sort of Muslim Manchurian candidate, then-Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and his campaign did everything they could to emphasize his Christianity and de-emphasize the fact that his father, Barack Obama Sr., was born Muslim.

The candidate's comment at a Boca Raton, Florida, town hall meeting on May 22, 2008, was typical: "My father was basically agnostic, as far as I can tell, and I didn't know him," he said.

In September 2008, candidate Obama told a Pennsylvania crowd, "I know that I'm not your typical presidential candidate and I just want to be honest with you. I know that the temptation is to say, 'You know what? The guy hasn't been there that long in Washington. You know, he's got a funny name. You know, we're not sure about him.' And that's what the Republicans when they say this isn't about issues, it's about personalities, what they're really saying is, 'We're going to try to scare people about Barack. So we're going to say that, you know, maybe he's got Muslim connections.'...Just making stuff up."

Back then, the campaign's "Fight the Smears" website addressed the candidate's faith without mentioning his father's religion:

"Barack Obama is a committed Christian. He was sworn into the Senate on his family Bible. He has regularly attended church with his wife and daughters for years. But shameful, shadowy attackers have been lying about Barack’s religion, claiming he is a Muslim instead of a committed Christian. When people fabricate stories about someone’s faith to denigrate them politically, that’s an attack on people of all faiths. Make sure everyone you know is aware of this deception."

The website also provided quotes from the Boston Globe and Newsweek mentioning his father's roots.

Since the election, however, with the threat of the rumors at least somewhat abated, the White House has been increasingly forthcoming about the president's roots. Especially when reaching out to the
    Muslim world.

In his April 6 address to the Turkish Parliament, President Obama referenced how many "Americans have Muslims in their families or have lived in a Muslim majority country. I know, because I am one of them."

- Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch ... -have.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Talk show host Monica Crowley has been talking about this on her show all afternoon.

I'm afraid we've been lied to on this subject also during the election campaign, so as not to frighten voters.

Barack Obama is a committed Christian. He was sworn into the Senate on his family Bible. He has regularly attended church with his wife and daughters for years. But shameful, shadowy attackers have been lying about Barack’s religion, claiming he is a Muslim instead of a committed Christian. When people fabricate stories about someone’s faith to denigrate them politically, that’s an attack on people of all faiths. Make sure everyone you know is aware of this deception."

Right. And I'm the Easter Bunny.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Barack Obama is a committed Christian. He was sworn into the Senate on his family Bible. He has regularly attended church with his wife and daughters for years. But shameful, shadowy attackers have been lying about Barack’s religion, claiming he is a Muslim instead of a committed Christian. When people fabricate stories about someone’s faith to denigrate them politically, that’s an attack on people of all faiths. Make sure everyone you know is aware of this deception."

Right. And I'm the Easter Bunny.
    GOOD ONE! Can we as an entire Nation sue for such a blatant deception? This goes WAAAAAAAAAAAY beyond campaign lies and promises!

As mentioned in another thread, Dumbama announced in Saudi Arabia today that AMERICA IS A MUSLIM COUNTRY!

Also he was caught speaking fluent ARABIC, which until now, NO ONE was aware he even spoke the language!!!! It was carefully hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Talk show host Monica Crowley has been talking about this on her show all afternoon.

I'm afraid we've been lied to on this subject also during the election campaign, so as not to frighten voters.
    where on the radio can she be found and is her show podcasted

I doubt he is a strong believer of either faith.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

http://www.talkstreamlive.com/ You may find her here on the internet throughout the day...I live in the Los Angeles area, and I can hear her everyday on the radio from noon to 3:00pm pacific time, on am radio 1260.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ObamaEco ... nnel=10441

I'm also concerned about this reuters report I read on the Drudge Report where Venezuela Chavez says Comrade Obama is more left wing than Fidel Castrol.

Chavez seems to really like Obama. Boy, we are in big trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenJustice
    As mentioned in another thread, Dumbama announced in Saudi Arabia today that AMERICA IS A MUSLIM COUNTRY!

Also he was caught speaking fluent ARABIC, which until now, NO ONE was aware he even spoke the language!!!! It was carefully hidden.
    THIS IS SO BIZARRE. Who is Obama? (
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast