Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Exclusive: Minn. lawmaker vows not to complete Census/ACORN

This sounds like a representative to watch. Which is correct? Must we answer all of the questions or just how many in the household. And does she know something we don't know? Meaning -if even she is afraid of what the information will be used for, we have much to fear... Obama and Rahm might have something in mind with all this private information.

ACORN pops up again!!

EXCLUSIVE: Minn. lawmaker vows not to complete Census

By Stephen Dinan (Contact) | Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Outspoken Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann says she's so worried that information from next year's national census will be abused that she will refuse to fill out anything more than the number of people in her household.

In an interview Wednesday morning with The Washington Times "America's Morning News," Mrs. Bachmann, Minnesota Republican, said the questions have become "very intricate, very personal" and she also fears ACORN, the community organizing group that came under fire for its voter registration efforts last year, will be part of the Census Bureau's door-to-door information collection efforts.

"I know for my family the only question we will be answering is how many people are in our home," she said. "We won't be answering any information beyond that, because the Constitution doesn't require any information beyond that."

Shelly Lowe, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Census Bureau, said Mrs. Bachmann is "misreading" the law.
    Audio clip
    The Washington Times America's Morning News (interview with Rep. Michele Bachmann)

She sent a portion of the U.S. legal code that says anyone over 18 years of age who refuses to answer "any of the questions" on the census can be fined up to $5,000.

The Constitution requires a census be taken every 10 years. Questions range from number of persons in the household and racial information to employment status and whether anyone receives social services such as food stamps.

Mrs. Bachmann said she's worried about the involvement of ACORN, the Association of Community Organizers for Reform Now, in next year's census.

TWT RELATED STORIES:
    • Lawmakers attack Fed's expanded role
    • Democrats urged to play up 'clean' energy
    • Partisan splits show in health care debate
    • Sen. Boxer to officer: Don't call me ma'am

"They will be in charge of going door to door and collecting data from the American public," she said. "This is very concerning."

ACORN has applied to help recruit workers to help conduct the census. Republican lawmakers and some public interest groups have expressed concern over their involvement.

ACORN staffers have ben indicted in several states on charges of voter registration fraud stemming from the organization's efforts to register voters last year.

Mrs. Bachmann, who is in her second term in the House, has become a lightning rod for criticism from Democrats and liberal talk show hosts for her unapologetic conservative views.

She said she considers that "a badge of honor."

"It's clear when a person speaks out against those policies they become a target, and that should be concerning to everyone," she said.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/ju ... sus-abuse/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The comments are interesting. I'd really like to find out what is the truth. I DON'T want to answer more than I have to.

gzannd
    The article is incorrect. The fine for refusing to answer any question on the survey is $100. For deliberately falsifying information, $500. There is no provision for imprisonment; such language was struck out of the census laws in the 1970's, at least, if not earlier. Any census official found to have improperly disclosed or misused census information may be fined up to $5000, imprisoned for up to 5 years, or both. The code can be found here: http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/13C7.txt

soxconn
    Representative Bachmann is absolutely justified in her concern. The census was pulled under the executive branch, 5 billion dollars was allocated to ACORN, a community organizing entity and Obama's power agenda seem based on exceptions, errors and excuses, i.e. a type of moral relativism that people seem apathetic about.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This patriot is sponsoring a petition to prevent ACORN from receiving any federal funds.

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/06/05/si ... -petition/

There's a link in the article to sign the petition.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

The Constitution only requires the number of people and no other information. So that is all I tell them, the number of people living at my house.